Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of tracks I just mixed from multitrack stems.

Whitesnake Here I go
Hendrix Crosstown Traffic
Linkin Park Crawling
Metalicca Fade To Black
Steve Vai For the Love Of God

etc

I have just done Muse Super Massive Black Hole. It has turned out pretty decent. I put the drums at the intro in the rears, then when the main riff kicks in they switch to fronts, sounds nice and fluid. Bass guitar in center, guitars in rears.

The Who - Quadrophenia blu ray 5.1. Still love this disc even though it's a little LFE light. Also like to spin it every once in awhile to make sure it still plays. I have one with the scalloped outer edge, but it's never tripped up the Oppo ;)

Rush - Rush in Rio - BD Dolby True HD 5.1
Sounds like it was recorded on a boombox in a garbage can and filmed with a soccer mom's camcorder from the early 90's, but other than that, it's great!
Performance is legendary.

Sounds like it was recorded on a boombox in a garbage can and filmed with a soccer mom's camcorder from the early 90's, but other than that, it's great!

LOL...that's one I don't have....so you're saying I could probably live without it EB?

LOL...that's one I don't have....so you're saying I could probably live without it EB?

I actually think it's well worth picking up, especially if you can snag it for a few bucks. The performance really is quite special with a KILLER set.
It's Neil's return from the abyss and they're all playing their balls off in front of an insane crowd.

Just temper expectations about picture and sound. They had massive equipment failures due to rain and the local economy and whatnot and had to improvise literally down to the minute of the show. That said, it ain't so bad. I am very glad I own it and upgraded from the DVD to the BD. It just doesn't really capitalize on BD's capabilities, given it's flaws.
Lower tones are sometimes muddy and mid tones are sometimes "metallic" to my ears.

I actually think it's well worth picking up, especially if you can snag it for a few bucks. The performance really is quite special with a KILLER set.
It's Neil's return from the abyss and they're all playing their balls off in front of an insane crowd.

Just temper expectations about picture and sound. They had massive equipment failures due to rain and the local economy and whatnot and had to improvise literally down to the minute of the show. That said, it ain't so bad. I am very glad I own it and upgraded from the DVD to the BD. It just doesn't really capitalize on BD's capabilities, given it's flaws.
Lower tones are sometimes muddy and mid tones are sometimes "metallic" to my ears.

Good to know, thanks :upthumb

Queensrÿche - Empire [DVD-Audio] (thanks Lizardking!!)

nbsvba.jpg

I am pretty sure that is the one with a faux looped crowd. Listen close, same section repeated over and over.

King Crimson - Islands - DVD-A MLP Lossless 5.1
The SW remix could help this one grow on me...

Not only have the SW remixes helped me to more fully appreciate this album, but the current incarnation of King Crimson performs some stellar renditions of both "Sailor's Tale" and "The Letters".
I kinda hope that the next KC box set is a comprehensive one covering this very underrated "Islands" era.
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only have the SW remixes helped me to more fully appreciate this album, but the current incarnation of King Crimson performs some stellar renditions of both "Sailor's Tale" and "The Letters".

I greatly enjoyed the most recent show here in SF. Also, that was a very nice listen just now. I think the mix helps this album a LOT.

Just received this stunning disc from Pentatone which features both the Stereo and Quadraphonic mixes from these 1974 recordings. I'm listening to the 4.0 mix and not only is the sound impeccable, but this thing achieves a balance between being bombastic and showing subtlety. I love it! The dynamics are tremendous.

Tchaikovsky%20Stokowski%20Pentatone%20SACD_zpsmmckxpor.jpg

Tchaikovsky%20Stokowski%20Philips%20LP%202_zpsltlhuvrv.jpg

Tchaikovsky%20Stokowski%20Philips%20LP%201_zpsf9ttou6x.jpg

And just now, Steely Dan - Gaucho. Wow! A person sort of forgets what superior sounding surround sounds like until you put this one on. Geez!!!!

EDIT - just checked the DR on the first song and it's 16! lmao.....whoa....in this case the DR matches the exquisite sound of the disc.

Stampede - Doobies

ALL The Doobie Brothers Quads need to be reissued ---- NOW.
(imho :eek: )

just THE most insanely good surround music mixes, for the most part..
(imho :D )

Concur!

Given the sad absence of Doobies quads, I just ordered three MFSL stereo sacd's as a stop-gap. I'll gladly re-buy when quads are released. Wishful thinking? I hope not. :sun

Back