Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would also be nice if Trent finally got around to RELEASING THE FRAGILE 5.1 HE'S BEEN TEASING FOR YEARS NOW!!!! :howl:howl:flame:nuke(n)

:( :(

Oh I don't know anything about a fragile 5.1.. :eek: ...but yeah put me down for one of them too.. maybe he can't get any label to put the 5.1 out?

Crazy stalemate we're in..

labels either put surround out for a while and then get cold feet,
or they put surround out in small quantities so that when its all sold out people who genuinely want it but are 'late to the party' suffer the going rate on the used market..

or whatever.. whatever.. actually that is a good word.. whatever...

it feels like I've been experiencing this phenomenon (and talking about it) for too many years, nothing ever changes :(

Listening for the first time: Pete Namlook & Material Object ‎– Elektronik (DTS CD)

Namlook%20Elektronik_zpsq2e29vkz.jpg

Oh I don't know anything about a fragile 5.1.. :eek: ...but yeah put me down for one of them too.. maybe he can't get any label to put the 5.1 out?

Crazy stalemate we're in..

labels either put surround out for a while and then get cold feet,
or they put surround out in small quantities so that when its all sold out people who genuinely want it but are 'late to the party' suffer the going rate on the used market..

or whatever.. whatever.. actually that is a good word.. whatever...

it feels like I've been experiencing this phenomenon (and talking about it) for too many years, nothing ever changes :(

He's been teasing a big deluxe edition for years. Last I'd read, seems like 2013 or 14, he was talking about working out the artwork and design and just wanting to get everything perfect. Then I seem to recall a REDDIT AMA from around that same time where he was asked about a possible release date for the fragile 5.1, in which he responded simply with "soon", and there has been no further update... :( He had also mentioned at one point that the mix was already completed. Anyway, I really don't think it's a label support issue, but just a matter of effort on his part to get it out. I'm going to guess he's in the sort of position that he could pretty much release just about whatever he wanted without too many hurdles to deal with.

This is one of my absolute favorite albums, and it reeeeeeally needs a reissue. At this point I would even be happy with just a vinyl reissue, which the current versions go for absurd amounts of money online. He created so much amazing music from this period, which has been scattered among different releases, and it would be absolutely amazing to have it all in one package, and hopefully all of it mixed into surround.

If you've never heard it, I highly recommend you check out the album "Still" which is a sort of b-sides and sort of, "quiet" versions of songs from the fragile period, especially the track "leaving hope". It's constantly stuck in my head. Very beautiful stuff.

Ziggy Stardust
ZiggyStardust.jpg

While not the best surround sound quality, I think it's better than the 7.62 rating it has in the polls, plus it's just a really great album. :)

Last night, a double whammy...WITH THE MRS. TOO!!!

"Fink Ployd"- DSOTM DVD-A (yes...that one!)...what a spectacular mix!!!

and

Sting- Brand new day DVD-A ...I can hear on this disc quite clearly that it's 48 (the voices are the giveaway), but the 24 bits does the trick for the nice round BASS!!!

It's not like they ruined the album with the surround mix.

hmm.. it kinda did for me in a way tbh.. I knew the album so well before hearing the surround and when I finally did hear the 5.1 I was so underwhelmed (this was after hearing my other big time faves like Queen & EJ in spectacular surround sound) and for me the sound kinda collapses and loses a lot of its oomph and balls for me in that 5.1 remix.. but each to their own and all that and I know some people love that album in surround its all good :)

360 Degrees Of Billy Paul (Quad)

"I'm just a prison-aaaahhhh.. ohhhh Lord... just a prisoner.. just a prisoner.. just a prisoner.. just a prisoner... just a prisoner.. just a prisoner.."

:smokin

Post run chill-out time.

Move D & Namlook XII - Space & Time (DTS CD)

Space%20amp%20Time_zps6y2bnic1.jpg

Oh I reckon you'll know some of it already, even I know a few of his songs and I'm still in kindergarten with all this stuff compared to folks like Fizzy.. things like After Midnight & Cocaine's been covered by Clapton etc. afaik..

I wonder if Going Down in the setlist on the back of that DVD's the same song Bryan Ferry did on Frantic..?
great track that.. love that album I think I'l give that a spin over le weekend :smokin

Oh do I ever wish Captain Clapton could or would do up a surround version of his "Live At Budokan-Just One Night".

That J.J.CALE standard of "Cocaine" never sounded better. Clapton was on fire with his guitar, and that song is so wildly panned it's a natural for quad or 5.1.
It recieved alot of FM airplay in my village. Surely it's the preferred version . :music

I hate to say it but......one of them there experimental upmixes would do it credit.

Also if and I do mean if, the quad mix of E.C. WAS HERE, exists. It's time UMG issued it. (Don't deny the quad fans !!!)

20160801_191110.jpg20160801_191117.jpg

Back to a favourite of mine. Beautiful sounding Quad from the 70's.

Supraphon%20Smetana%20SACD_zpsfqxquq4u.jpg

Ricky Lee Jones -The Sermon On Exposition Boulevard

SACD 5.1 Special Edition

Good tunes and a good overall recording.Blues/rock but leans to a more rockin presentation.

View attachment 27336View attachment 27337

Oh blimey.. totally forgot about this one.. never even got it out of the shrinkwrap in fact.. no reason other than there's just not enough hours in the day I guess.. I'll try over the Christmas holidays when I intend to switch off the phone, rip out the doorbell and ignore all emails, etc. :eek:

It's not like they ruined the album with the surround mix.
hmm.. it kinda did for me in a way tbh.. I knew the album so well before hearing the surround and when I finally did hear the 5.1 I was so underwhelmed (this was after hearing my other big time faves like Queen & EJ in spectacular surround sound) and for me the sound kinda collapses and loses a lot of its oomph and balls for me in that 5.1 remix.. but each to their own and all that and I know some people love that album in surround its all good :)

I guess I should've specified that I increased the center channel +4db and my subs +6db :yikes in order to get it sounding pretty decent. ;)

Now listening to: Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase. Don't need to do any adjusting on that! :D

Back