Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most definitely!!! And we all know that MOM KNOWS BEST!!!

And...How about some surround love for CHIC and Nile Rodgers?

All of these disco classics need a fabulous surround mix that DANCES AROUND THE ROOM LIKE LIGHT FROM A DISCO BALL!!!

Absolutely, Brett.

I recall during the waning, gasping for breath, last days of Open Reel manufacturing, I believe it was Ampex which released a double Open Reel dolby b encoded cornucopia of TOP A~List Disco Hits.........Stereo Only......but WHAT A BLAST!

Last edited:
maybe a loose interpretation of disco, if any of these fit the bill..?
(they're all good Quad mixes imho!)

BT Express - Energy To Burn,
Earth Wind & Fire - Spirit,
Harold Melvin - Black & Blue, Wake Up Everybody,
Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm, Rated EXtraordinaire,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom,
Miracles - Love Crazy,
O'Jays - Family Reunion, Message In The Music,
Walter Murphy - A Fifth Of Beethoven,
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk
Nice! I have the ewf...sq disc...but the others...ojays family reunion is one of my favorites of all time! I wonder if it will decode in sq being a stereo lp? I've heard that alot of them are produced from the same masters, but just don't say quad. I'm Off to hunt for the others! Thanks, fredblue!

Nice! I have the ewf...sq disc...but the others...ojays family reunion is one of my favorites of all time! I wonder if it will decode in sq being a stereo lp? I've heard that alot of them are produced from the same masters, but just don't say quad. I'm Off to hunt for the others! Thanks, fredblue!

you're welcome, Jeff ss.
its worth a try you've nothing to lose decoding the Stereo LP of Family Reunion but I doubt it would be SQ when there's a separate SQ-encoded Quad LP.

i have Family Reunion in a couple of CD masterings and neither of them resemble the Quad LP, which has drier lead vocals than the Stereo for one thing.

the Walter Murphy Quad was only ever a very limited Q8 release, no CD-4 or encoded LP afaik., so you might have a tough time tracking that one down, a very good conversion circulated at one time but not sure if it's still out there. the others range from pretty plentiful/easy to obtain on SQ vinyl (Black & Blue, Eargasm, Philadelphia Freedom) to scarce (Electrified Funk, Go For Your Guns, Rated EXtraordinaire) several of these Quads had no Q8 discrete option (Eargasm, Energy To Burn, Family Reunion, Philadelphia Freedom, Wake Up Everybody) so its SQ with all its limitations and quirks or bust!

oh and i forgot to mention there's also an excellent Quad (SQ LP only) of the O'Jays "Survival" which is very hard to find but worth it. if you have MCh Flac playback capability i can send you a couple of sample clips from the Family Reunion SQ Quad LP so you can compare with your Stereo LP, just let me know by PM or something? all the best 😊

2pfgEsP.jpg

I like this one, Pink Floydish style music with a female singer.

Listening to (and watching) Brian Wilson performing "Smile" Live (DVD-V)... excellent performance! In terms of surround, this is a "wide soundstage" mix with no discrete elements in the rear but plenty of activity back there (and audience, of course). "That Lucky Old Sun-Live" DVD-V is far superior in terms of surround with many discrete elements in the rears (mainly orchestral elements)... personally, while "Smile" is fantastic, I prefer "Lucky Old Sun" musically... having grown up in Southern California, it seems to touch something inside me and make me smile (more than "Smile")... it also seems to have more complete songs, whereas "Smile" is mainly a series of song snippets. Anyways, I love them both and they're excellent performances, but "Lucky Old Sun" is the only one I'll listen to as part of my surround catalog.

Back