Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of The Beatles... Last weekend I watched an excellent 2010 documentary of John's years in New York, called "LennoNYC".

Yes, I love "LENNONYC", easily the best documentary I've ever watched on John Lennon.
Best Beatles documentary overall though would have to be "Living in the Material World" for me. :)

Blue Man Group - Audio (DVD-A). Funny music for a Thursday afternoon. If you're into PVC percussion and want to annoy your neighbours with your sub, take this one.
Mix is just fine, with lots of percussion on the rears (what else..). Funny opening that makes you feel that you've bought a low res stereo and then opens up to great surround effect

"The McCartney Years" Disc 2, starting with "Pipes of Peace" which is getting reissued as part of the Archive Collection along with "Tug of War" in approximately a month. :)

(Actually yesterday's "McCartney Years" listening began with "Tug of War", one of my favorite Macca songs of all time)

Adam and I were discussing Tim Weidner in the other thread, so I thought I would pull out his best surround work which I think is the "Best of Seal 1991-2004" DVDA. The individual albums are all great, but this is just a great overview of Seal's career in stunning high-res surround! :)

Adam and I were discussing Tim Weidner in the other thread, so I thought I would pull out his best surround work which I think is the "Best of Seal 1991-2004" DVDA. The individual albums are all great, but this is just a great overview of Seal's career in stunning high-res surround! :)

A couple of quick thoughts occur now you mention him & it again, RT..

Do you know how/why Tim Weidner got the gig to remix Fragile in the first place?

Also, as his Seal and Magnification remixes are superior to his Fragile remix.. is there a possibility there was some outside interference (from the band? Warner executives?) or any possibility of missing multi's for Fragile as to why his version (which I don't hate by any stretch) is so disliked?

A couple of quick thoughts occur now you mention him & it again, RT..

Do you know how/why Tim Weidner got the gig to remix Fragile in the first place?

Also, as his Seal and Magnification remixes are superior to his Fragile remix.. is there a possibility there was some outside interference (from the band? Warner executives?) or any possibility of missing multi's for Fragile as to why his version (which I don't hate by any stretch) is so disliked?

I have no idea why his "Fragile" surround mix is so much worse than "Magnification" and the Seal albums, but I think one thing that probably helped his "Magnification" and Seal surround mixes was that he was the original recording and mixing engineer for all of those albums.
But as to your first question as to how he got to work with Yes and subsequently remix "Fragile" in surround, not only did he do all of that work in the 90s with Trevor Horn on Seal and several other projects, but he also was the engineer on one of Steve Howe's 90s solo albums, so those two things probably landed him the opportunity to work with Yes on "Magnification" and subsequently the surround mix of "Fragile" (since "Magnification" came first)

I'm playing the Seal disc right now...I loved this disc for several years...one of my first purchases...and the added pleasure I get from it is it's in the dreaded "dolby digital" that gets crucified on this site by many...I always laugh when I hear the "haters" drone on and on about the pitfalls of dolby digital...but with the right surround mix..it can sound impressive...just like this disc:)

I'm playing the Seal disc right now...I loved this disc for several years...one of my first purchases...and the added pleasure I get from it is it's in the dreaded "dolby digital" that gets crucified on this site by many...I always laugh when I hear the "haters" drone on and on about the pitfalls of dolby digital...but with the right surround mix..it can sound impressive...just like this disc:)

Oh! :yikes

You mean there's no Advanced Resolution Surround option on your copy, Clint?

I thought the Seal 5.1's were all MLP spec DVD-Audio, irrespective of whether they were in standalone SJB+/DVD-A sized jewel cases or the later digipack with CD issue..?

I have no idea why his "Fragile" surround mix is so much worse than "Magnification" and the Seal albums, but I think one thing that probably helped his "Magnification" and Seal surround mixes was that he was the original recording and mixing engineer for all of those albums.
But as to your first question as to how he got to work with Yes and subsequently remix "Fragile" in surround, not only did he do all of that work in the 90s with Trevor Horn on Seal and several other projects, but he also was the engineer on one of Steve Howe's 90s solo albums, so those two things probably landed him the opportunity to work with Yes on "Magnification" and subsequently the surround mix of "Fragile" (since "Magnification" came first)

Thank you for all the neat info as ever :)

Oh! :yikes

You mean there's no Advanced Resolution Surround option on your copy, Clint?

I thought the Seal 5.1's were all MLP spec DVD-Audio, irrespective of whether they were in standalone SJB+/DVD-A sized jewel cases or the later digipack with CD issue..?

You are killing me Adam...yes there is the infamous ARS option...I think my Oppo must be stoned:ugham:

This is turning into a Best Of day for me as I have now moved onto "In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003"

I bought this back on CD/DVD-A when I was more into R.E.M. than surround, but once I got full into high-res surround, I quickly picked up all of the R.E.M. studio albums on DVD-A too, and they are some of my favorites to play to this day! :)

"The McCartney Years" Disc 2, starting with "Pipes of Peace" which is getting reissued as part of the Archive Collection along with "Tug of War" in approximately a month. :)

(Actually yesterday's "McCartney Years" listening began with "Tug of War", one of my favorite Macca songs of all time)

What we need is some early MacCartney.

"RAM" just begs for a surround mix.

Back