Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preach on, Beerking. Ain't no thang!

Humm ..I think I might have set the cat amongst the pigeons...unwittingly!!

It's totally bizarre...I had no idea that by selecting this output I would achieve a very favourable surround reproduction from ripped CD's.
True it ain't quite like purpose made surround releases but it's not a million miles off.

I was hoping more folk would be able to confirm in their systems what I'm getting..I'm just finding this truly, a bit mind blowing.
I can't be the first QQ'r to stumble across this little gem.

It's totally bizarre...I had no idea that by selecting this output I would achieve a very favourable surround reproduction from ripped CD's.
True it ain't quite like purpose made surround releases but it's not a million miles off.
I rip all CDs to iPod and have achieved quite good faux surround by docking to my Yamaha receiver and engaging the 7Ch Enhancer DSP. Some stuff is incredibly good!

I rip all CDs to iPod and have achieved quite good faux surround by docking to my Yamaha receiver and engaging the 7Ch Enhancer DSP. Some stuff is incredibly good!

Well its good to know that at least there is another method which works.👍
The thing is, it don't sound like faux surround.....Deff separation going on.:unsure:

My final contribution on this before I unravel this bemused noggin:

This is from an ELO album I've just ripped using JRiver..I did nothing else, It just updated the format automatically using the previously discussed audio playback option, as shown.
I really am hoping that somebody can replicate this..before I go a bit doolally!!

Last edited:
My final contribution on this before I unravel this bemused noggin:
View attachment 38538
This is from an ELO album I've just ripped using JRiver..I did nothing else, It just updated the format automatically using the previously discussed audio playback option, as shown.
I really am hoping that somebody can replicate this..before I go a bit doolally!!

I always play stereo music with the "11 channel stereo" dsp on my Yamaha processor - it sounds great. I believe you have a kind of the same dsp on your Marantz - try it.

Pulled some discs out I haven't listened to in God knows how long....with plenty of dust on top.

Started with Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. SACD
Then Toto IV. SACD a little too corporate rock sounding for me but like the mix on Africa
Finished off with Rush Moving Pictures DVDA. Now theres a great album that I like.
What shall be next?

Pulled some discs out I haven't listened to in God knows how long....with plenty of dust on top.

Started with Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. SACD
Then Toto IV. SACD a little too corporate rock sounding for me but like the mix on Africa
Finished off with Rush Moving Pictures DVDA. Now theres a great album that I like.
What shall be next?

If that was me...I'd step up to Idlewild South...or if that is too uptempo….go with Moondance….and for a different approach...how about some Talking Heads

Back