Loggins and Messina - Self-Titled - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD (September 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, heck...I didn't even realize they sang this song...got a little America vibe to it....

[video=youtube;YNPxBNmE9z0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPxBNmE9z0[/video]

I suppose one thing folks will not like is how short some of the songs are......so, you may want to consider that when and where you place your order. :)

image.jpg

The more I think about this release, I'm pretty fired up. I love this disc.....love, love, love the tune Angry Eyes...that should sound absolutely amazing in Quad...

Well, it doesn't.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the quad mix of this track is pretty dull. It's not the placement so much as the lifeless sound. Also not the same performance as the shorter, better version found on Greatest Hits, so even the original stereo mix doesn't sound as good. Too bad -- it's one of my favorite L & M tunes also.

Of course it does....and I feel the same way....I just know there will be those comments.....but you won't hear it from me. :)

As consumers I guess they have the right not to buy a $30, 30-minute CD if they consider it poor value, or to return it if they do buy it and consequently feel short-changed.. :p

As consumers I guess they have the right not to buy a $30, 30-minute CD if they consider it poor value, or to return it if they do buy it and consequently feel short-changed.. :p

I hope if they feel that way that they DON'T buy it so I don't have to hear them "whine" about it...when music starts to be judged by how long the songs are instead of the content of the material...maybe it's time for them to adopt a new hobby...like collecting bottle caps or marbles:violin

The thing I like about the classic albums is that they are short, sweet and to the point. This one clocks in about 38 minutes. Perhaps many recent albums/songs run long because the record company marketing people insist on quantity? I don't know. Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here at 58 minutes drives me crazy. I love every tune on that disc, but I can make it fully through only tracks 5 and 6. With the rest I end up listening to them for awhile then skip on to the next...Adult ADHD rules!

The thing I like about the classic albums is that they are short, sweet and to the point. This one clocks in about 38 minutes. Perhaps many recent albums/songs run long because the record company marketing people insist on quantity? I don't know. Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here at 58 minutes drives me crazy. I love every tune on that disc, but I can make it fully through only tracks 5 and 6. With the rest I end up listening to them for awhile then skip on to the next...Adult ADHD rules!

Or did all us old dudes (not saying you are old) just get conditioned by growing up with LPs? 45 minutes was max for most of them.

Maybe it is what we grew up with; also keep it mind that the "perfect" length for an album is about 40 minutes so as to get a complete listen in one sitting.

Great 7 minute songs feel like 3 minutes; weak 3 minute songs feel like 7 minutes...

YMMV

Interestingly, the thread about this on SH.tv has been changed from 'Loggins & Messina SACD Coming From Audio Fidelity' to 'Several Loggins & Messina SACDs Coming From Audio Fidelity', with a Gort telling someone to "keep their eyes peeled". Another poster suggested the next title (after the self-titled L&M album already announced) would be "another album from 72" which if true, would be the 'Sittin' In' album. If that turns out to be true, I think it would represent the first AF quad SACD from a title that didn't see North American release - 'Sittin' In' was only released as a SQ quad LP in Japan.

Totally off topic, but one of my favorite discs has only two songs - 5.1 mixes of "Time Passages" and "The Year of the Cat". And despite the fact that both are pretty long songs, with only two songs it's a short disc! And it is WONDERFUL. Quality over quantity any day.

Back on topic: Holy crap! I hope this string of AF quad releases never ends!!! I can't wait for Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu, and now Loggins & Messina! And I can't wait to finish typing this post so I can listen to... Bread? The Guess Who? Billy Joel??? Too much music, too little time.

Totally off topic, but one of my favorite discs has only two songs - 5.1 mixes of "Time Passages" and "The Year of the Cat". And despite the fact that both are pretty long songs, with only two songs it's a short disc! And it is WONDERFUL. Quality over quantity any day.

Wait Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? :yikes

I've heard these two great mixes as 'Alan Parsons Unreleased mixes'. :banana:

My question is: Where are the other tracks from those Al Stewart albums? (AND where are the surround mixes for 'I Robot' and 'Eye In The Sky'?)

Back