Mac users of QQ - HELP..!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
I know there are many of you here with great experience of how to do all this surround music on the Mac,
so before I tear anymore of my hair out, in short I'm having a hard time finding a used affordably priced MultiCh Audio Interface
that will play ball over USB with El Capitan.

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance! :)

So it worked before El Capitan but not now? JRiver is affordable sometimes. Just download a free trial if you haven't already.

So it worked before El Capitan but not now? JRiver is affordable sometimes. Just download a free trial if you haven't already.

Oh, thanks cupboy but that's not what i'm looking for, sorry.

I should clarify, I'm not talking about an "interface" in the iTunes/VLC/Foobar front end software sense.

I'm after a piece of equipment that you can connect the 6 x analogue outs from your Universal player (or 4 analogue outs from an SQ decoder, etc) to your Mac., preferably via USB (or FireWire, not that my Mac has Firewire but I believe there is an adapter that allows you to use FW via the Thunderbolt port..).. can you help with such a gadget?

I know there are many of you here with great experience of how to do all this surround music on the Mac,
so before I tear anymore of my hair out, in short I'm having a hard time finding a used affordably priced MultiCh Audio Interface
that will play ball over USB with El Capitan.

Can you please help?
Thanks in advance! :)

First, you might want to stick with 10.10 or earlier for the time being. Might just be a little soon for 10.11.

On the cheap end is Presonus. Focusrite is about the same quality but acts like it's a little better and charges more.

Next up the ladder is MOTU. Their forte is more the digital I/O and routing than the fidelity of their analog stages and converters though. Solid pro quality stuff though.
I have 2 MOTU 828mk3 interfaces at present. The system is stable enough to run live sound (ie. FOH for a full live band production) and that's been SOP for me for years now.

Apogee makes nice analog stages and they have very good converters. RME is also known for similar nice quality converters but they're more expensive than Apogee. (They always seem to come along and offer a competing product to Apogee with that one cool extra feature but then a really inflated price.)

For me, the biggest band for the buck turned out to be Apogee converter units (for the AD & DA) connected digitally to MOTU units (for the interface).

The bad news is the smaller affordable interfaces (like some of the Presonus models on the low end or an Apogee Duet on the high end) only have 2 - 4 inputs.
You need minimum of 6.

Stay away from Behringer and M-Audio. These products are ratty cheap. (Factory second and substitute components. Jacks and connectors that just fall apart. etc)

FYI: If you are transferring a digital audio stream from a DVD player, you DO NOT want to make an analog connection!!! This will introduce noticeable generation loss.
Digital signals must be captured as is. This is actually the easy part if you have a computer. You simply rip the disc to file. Hardware disc players are not involved in the process. You have all the options available with a Mac as far as compatible hardware and apps go. The Windows users have far fewer options.

You are correct that the thunderbolt to firewire adapter gives full firewire functionality. This just works.

You can usually find a MOTU 828mk2 for under $200 on ebay. That would give you 8 balanced line level inputs + 2 mic preamp inputs and 2 instrument DI inputs.
The converters and analog stages would be better than any stand alone hardware DVD player that sells for anything less than $5000. (Hardware players are an incredible ripoff IMHO.)

Which Mac do you own? The Mac Minis have HDMI outputs which work as multichannel outputs. Also see this support article for a list of Macs where you can use the the MiniDisplay Port for 8-channel output:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202079

Of course, this option only works if you've got an HDMI-capable amp.

EDIT:
Should have read the whole thread, sorry. You're looking for something with mch-inputs… I had been looking for something like that for years and - not owning any Quad-Vinyl/Tapes - finally found it a lot easier and cheaper to buy some old Playstation 3…
But like Jon said above: The MOTU interface is what I would have bought, had I gone that route

To elaborate… I've got a Mac Mini and have it connected to a Yamaha AV-receiver. I haven't gotten DD/DTS tracks to work with the HDMI output. But with a little bit of effort (actually, much more effort than I should admit) I managed to get my whole MCH collection into iTunes using the ALAC (Apple Lossless) format. If you plan to use something like JRiver you should be able to use FLAC and spare yourself some trouble.

Good question.. mostly for reasons of economy, my dear Urban Spaceman.. ;)

..but seriously.. I (rightly or wrongly) tend to spend a lot more on "software" than on hardware.. a cheaper alternative to an El Capitan compatible USB core audio (schmakkety yakkety whatever the jargon they're coming out with now) compliant MOTU 828x would be the ideal at this point in time but if thats the route I have to go down then so be it :)

First, you might want to stick with 10.10 or earlier for the time being. Might just be a little soon for 10.11.

On the cheap end is Presonus. Focusrite is about the same quality but acts like it's a little better and charges more.

Next up the ladder is MOTU. Their forte is more the digital I/O and routing than the fidelity of their analog stages and converters though. Solid pro quality stuff though.
I have 2 MOTU 828mk3 interfaces at present. The system is stable enough to run live sound (ie. FOH for a full live band production) and that's been SOP for me for years now.

Apogee makes nice analog stages and they have very good converters. RME is also known for similar nice quality converters but they're more expensive than Apogee. (They always seem to come along and offer a competing product to Apogee with that one cool extra feature but then a really inflated price.)

For me, the biggest band for the buck turned out to be Apogee converter units (for the AD & DA) connected digitally to MOTU units (for the interface).

The bad news is the smaller affordable interfaces (like some of the Presonus models on the low end or an Apogee Duet on the high end) only have 2 - 4 inputs.
You need minimum of 6.

Stay away from Behringer and M-Audio. These products are ratty cheap. (Factory second and substitute components. Jacks and connectors that just fall apart. etc)

FYI: If you are transferring a digital audio stream from a DVD player, you DO NOT want to make an analog connection!!! This will introduce noticeable generation loss.
Digital signals must be captured as is. This is actually the easy part if you have a computer. You simply rip the disc to file. Hardware disc players are not involved in the process. You have all the options available with a Mac as far as compatible hardware and apps go. The Windows users have far fewer options.

You are correct that the thunderbolt to firewire adapter gives full firewire functionality. This just works.

You can usually find a MOTU 828mk2 for under $200 on ebay. That would give you 8 balanced line level inputs + 2 mic preamp inputs and 2 instrument DI inputs.
The converters and analog stages would be better than any stand alone hardware DVD player that sells for anything less than $5000. (Hardware players are an incredible ripoff IMHO.)

Ah-ha! I knew you would be THE ONE, my fishy friend! Since you helped me with the foobar (etc) Mac surround issues I was having, for which I am immensely grateful :)

So, as I understand it from what you are saying, my cheapest option right now "that just works" (to coin a phrase.. :eek: ) is to pick up an old Motu 828 Mk2 with FW and then use Apple's FW to Thunderbolt adapter..?

Good question.. mostly for reasons of economy, my dear Urban Spaceman.. ;)

..but seriously.. I (rightly or wrongly) tend to spend a lot more on "software" than on hardware.. a cheaper alternative to an El Capitan compatible USB core audio (schmakkety yakkety whatever the jargon they're coming out with now) compliant MOTU 828x would be the ideal at this point in time but if thats the route I have to go down then so be it :)

Yeah, they ain't cheap. But maybe you could find a Mark II somewhere. The 828MkII will do the job but you'll need Firewire.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Xmotu+828mkII.TRS0&_nkw=motu+828mkII&_sacat=0

Which Mac do you own? The Mac Minis have HDMI outputs which work as multichannel outputs. Also see this support article for a list of Macs where you can use the the MiniDisplay Port for 8-channel output:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202079

Of course, this option only works if you've got an HDMI-capable amp.

EDIT:
Should have read the whole thread, sorry. You're looking for something with mch-inputs… I had been looking for something like that for years and - not owning any Quad-Vinyl/Tapes - finally found it a lot easier and cheaper to buy some old Playstation 3…
But like Jon said above: The MOTU interface is what I would have bought, had I gone that route

Yes fac23..! Despite my being a total Luddite I do my best to overcome my innate technological disabilities every day since I want to get the absolute utmost out of all this surround and Quad stuff I keep gobbling up and I refuse to be hamstrung by the total bullshit copy protection and all the rest of it the labels and whoever else imposes on us the humble consumer..! Solidarity brothers and sisters! :friday: Uhh.. Sorry.. Where were we..? :eek:

Yes, I see a MOTU is my only choice. Ah well, I'll have to buy a few hundred less records this month.. haha.. ;) Thanks for your help :upthumb

Yeah, they ain't cheap. But maybe you could find a Mark II somewhere. The 828MkII will do the job but you'll need Firewire.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Xmotu+828mkII.TRS0&_nkw=motu+828mkII&_sacat=0

V. much appreciate that Jon, thanks :)

I see that the old Motu 2408 Mk I has "AudioWire" but apparently that connection only interfaces with a PCI kershizzle and I'm led to believe that MOTU's AudioWire connection is not FireWire compliant (is this really the case?) otherwise I could pick up one of those old Motu 2408 units any day of the week for like less than <£50 quid..

bah.. I've resigned myself that if I want to help out my QQ compadres with anally retentive Surround Master decoded track by track analysis of these piles of old SQ records that have been dropping on the doormat the last 6-ish months, I guess I'll have to make some sacrifices.. :eek:

so I'll cut down on the "wine, women and song" and I'll cut back on the other major vice I have left - buying new records..!! :yikes

Haha.. who am i kidding.. its no hardship, you guys don't have any idea the sheer pleasure this hobby brings every day.. well, actually.. I think you do!!! ;)

..god i love this place, keep up the good work Jon, my QQ hero! (y) :phones (y)

You're making me blush! :music (I'm too old to blush)

Haha.. you're never too old to blush! :p

..Unless going red in the face is a sign of high blood pressure.. then its probably more serious and a little lay down may be the best course of action..! ;)

I'm joking, of course, I'll probably kick the bucket before any of you guys, you can't live life at a million miles an hour and expect to shuffle off this mortal coil leaving a wizened up old corpse..! :eek:

wouldn't it be cheapest way to go for you just to put in your Mac two identical sound cards.
since seems you plan to record only 4 channels from quad sources, two stereo pair in paralel should handle this task.

sorry, i didn't know you're such pervert.
anyway, does it have USB interfaces?

sorry, i didn't know you're such pervert.
anyway, does it have USB interfaces?

Haha.. ;)

Yes of course it has USB(s) and a couple of Thunderbolt ports... but how could I run 2 x Stereo USB audio interfaces in tandem with (as I think you're proposing) Front L & R into one device and Rear L & R into the other device.. and sync them both up?

I need a multichannel USB interface that works with Mac's new El Capitan OS and won't require me to shell out shitloads I'd rather spend on records etc :)

i don't know anything about possibilities with Mac but i had bumped in the past on discussions about utilization of stereo cards in parallel for sound capture on PCs.
that's was back before breaking unbreakable SACD and i can't shed too much light on topic as never paid much attention but it's definitely possible.
try to search internet.

Back