Mac users of QQ - HELP..!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may have mentioned it previously, or was it in the other forum?

I bought a Tascam 6-chan digital recorder, the DR 680 because I was tired if the compatability issues with windows, cards and software.

I do all my analog recording to this device and then transfer the material to my computer via USB to work further on it. This would be an ideal way to record SQ analog output to 4-channel digital. Sound quality is great with this method.

Last edited:
To elaborate… I've got a Mac Mini and have it connected to a Yamaha AV-receiver. I haven't gotten DD/DTS tracks to work with the HDMI output. But with a little bit of effort (actually, much more effort than I should admit) I managed to get my whole MCH collection into iTunes using the ALAC (Apple Lossless) format. If you plan to use something like JRiver you should be able to use FLAC and spare yourself some trouble.

Re: your Bolded text - I have had to go to Applications - Utilities - Audio Midi Setup and had to force the output to encoded digital audio to get DTS encoded files to work properly. This wasn't generally an issue in previous versions of the OS, but it seems more finicky

Oh, thanks cupboy but that's not what i'm looking for, sorry.

I should clarify, I'm not talking about an "interface" in the iTunes/VLC/Foobar front end software sense.

I'm after a piece of equipment that you can connect the 6 x analogue outs from your Universal player (or 4 analogue outs from an SQ decoder, etc) to your Mac., preferably via USB (or FireWire, not that my Mac has Firewire but I believe there is an adapter that allows you to use FW via the Thunderbolt port..).. can you help with such a gadget?

I'm not exactly sure what your goal is, so I'm a bit lost.

I've been using an external blu-ray player connected via USB to the Mac Mini for some time now, it works fine, particularly for ripping titles off of digital discs with no analogue step. It obviously doesn't work for SACDs or 8 tracks or LPs, but it's been great for Blu-Ray, DVDA, and DVD-V. I presume you're looking for something that'll work with analogue sources and work with SACDS through analogue? Is this for playback, or getting the songs into a digital library, or ??

Re: your Bolded text - I have had to go to Applications - Utilities - Audio Midi Setup and had to force the output to encoded digital audio to get DTS encoded files to work properly. This wasn't generally an issue in previous versions of the OS, but it seems more finicky

Yes and I converted all my DTS stuff to 6-ch wav for just this reason, it uses more HD space but now everything plays back in MultiCh PCM with none of the faffing about in the midi interface, "it just works", as they say.
(I'll convert the wav's to flac under steelydave's advice when I get a chance, free up more HD memory.)

I'm not exactly sure what your goal is, so I'm a bit lost.

I've been using an external blu-ray player connected via USB to the Mac Mini for some time now, it works fine, particularly for ripping titles off of digital discs with no analogue step. It obviously doesn't work for SACDs or 8 tracks or LPs, but it's been great for Blu-Ray, DVDA, and DVD-V. I presume you're looking for something that'll work with analogue sources and work with SACDS through analogue? Is this for playback, or getting the songs into a digital library, or ??

Well I don't know how much of this one is allowed to spell out in the open forum but yes I have various external multichannel analogue sources (one of them being the Involve Surround Master unit which decodes SQ Quad records) that I would like to record in the 4 and 6 channels of in real time so that I end up with 4 (and 6) stems of channels that I can then do stuff with.

I think I may have mentioned it previously, or was it in the other forum?

I bought a Tascam 6-chan digital recorder, the DR 680 because I was tired if the comparability issues with windows, cards and software.

I do all my analog recording to this device and then transfer the material to my computer to work further on it. This would be an ideal way to record SQ analog output to 4-channel digital.

That sounds brilliant, thanks quicksrt!

What media does your Tascam record to? An external hard drive? Memory cards? Does it have USB or FireWire?

Essentially I'm curious as to how you get the 4 channels you've recorded with your Tascam then transferred onto the computer so you have 4 stems you can then fiddle around with?

I would keep original files and get more hard drives with the backup files stored. Once you get a really nice collection of quad work done you might have a bad crash and lose much of the work.

That sounds brilliant, thanks quicksrt!

What media does your Tascam record to? An external hard drive? Memory cards? Does it have USB or FireWire?

Essentially I'm curious as to how you get the 4 channels you've recorded with your Tascam then transferred onto the computer so you have 4 stems you can then fiddle around with?
You have the recorder record your 4 or 6 tracks and then hit stop.

Then when you plug the recorder into the USB connection the computer sees the recorder as a storage device (large hard drive). You can drag and drop those lovely quad wavs right into any hard drive you like from there.

The recorder uses miniSD cards to record on. But I leave the card in and grab the recordings via USB.

It's so wonderful and a simple and ultra high quality at 24/96.

I would keep original files and get more hard drives with the backup files stored. Once you get a really nice collection of quad work done you might have a bad crash and lose much of the work.

Another "Good idea"..!! :D

Seriously it is, I really should do that, as apart from the internal HD in my MacMini (2014 model with 2 TB HD, Fusion Drive and all that jazz.. I had it pimped out by Apple at the factory) I currently only have one backup of the whole thing (on a 3TB external LaCie drive.. currently storing 170 SQ encoded LPs and around a dozen other Quad records of other formats all as 96/24 wavs and a number of 5.1 and discrete Quad files including DVD Audio Extractor derived DVD-A stuff, BD rips I sussed how to do and decrypt with MakeMKV.. DTS CDs extracted as MultiCh wavs... basically a sizable chunk of my physical collection..).

Now I want to add to that with transfers of my favorite SACDs (not all 744 discs mercifully or I'll be at it the rest of my life! ..but maybe 50, 100 for now possibly..) and most important of all I want this interface gadget for the ability to make 4 channel files of SQ LPs directly decoded by the Surround Master!

Just in case there's some legal bit I won't be getting rid of any of the original discs themselves and the transfers will be for my own personal use exclusively! :eek:

So.. next question, would it be better to have a series of smaller external hard drives as back up rather than relying on just the 3 Terabyte external drive I'm using at the moment?

I realise this is all elementary to a lot of you guys but this is not my thing - at all - I have had to force myself to do and learn it all in order to consolidate the collection and get it on the computer to unify playback for convenience's sake and save wear and tear day to day on the discs themselves. Getting there, slowly, with all your help :)

You have the recorder record your 4 or 6 tracks and then hit stop.

Then when you plug the recorder into the USB connection the computer sees the recorder as a storage device (large hard drive). You can drag and drop those lovely quad wavs right into any hard drive you like from there.

The recorder uses miniSD cards to record on. But I leave the card in and grab the recordings via USB.

It's so wonderful and a simple and ultra high quality at 24/96.

Oh that's wonderful! Thank you! I will pick up one of those Tascams! Thank you so much for all your help!

I love my digital recorder and bought it for myself as a birthday present. But I've been busy of late doing stereo recordings of SQ titles that can be decoded later playing back the 24/96 files.

Fred do you know how to use ClickRepair software for vinyl captures? It can really do a nice job for old vinyl without ruining the sound.

I do prefer some 1tb Western Digital "Elements" drives rather than fewer large ones. I have nice white labels on the sides of my portable drives.

Does DTS converted to wav sound different from original? I have considered recording some DTS material to 24/96 wav and see if it colors the sound in a good way.

Last edited:
Yeah, they ain't cheap. But maybe you could find a Mark II somewhere. The 828MkII will do the job but you'll need Firewire.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Xmotu+828mkII.TRS0&_nkw=motu+828mkII&_sacat=0

I've had a MOTU 828 mk II for 8 years now...as for inputs, , it'll work fine,
BUT:
-my Mic 2 input (one of the 2 in the front ) developed a "noise" a few years ago and is not usable anymore (the Spanish) MOTU folks were very ...friendly..but I NEVER got a word back from them to replace or repair it...
- it does not pass ANY DTS/MCH info OUT.

Just a a few words in case you get a used one...

I love my digital recorder and bought it for myself as a birthday present. But I've been busy of late doing stereo recordings of SQ titles that can be decoded later playing back the 24/96 files.

Fred do you know how to use ClickRepair software for vinyl captures? It can really do a nice job for old vinyl without ruining the sound.

I do prefer some 1tb Western Digital "Elements" drives rather than fewer large ones. I have nice white labels on the sides of my portable drives.

Does DTS converted to wav sound different form original? I have considered recording some DTS material to 24/96 wav and see if it colors the sound in a good way.

I don't know how to use click repair :eek: ..but I'm a fast learner.. you can teach me! ;)

Right, well I will invest in a couple of 1TB WD drives next month under your advice.. is there a particular model of WD hard drive that you recommend?

Failure within warranty is not an option (but I realise is a distinct possibility!) :D

I can't detect any difference in converting my DTS CDs to 96/24 WAVs..

(although I'm sure someone will chip in with why it was a bad idea and I should have kept the DTS intact..
and why that was better than suffering a file conversion rather than having to manually change the audio output in midi setup every freakin time I wanted to play Fredgar Winter's Jazzy Nightdreams DTS.. which happens a lot btw, that is a really seriously stunning flashy show off "balls to the walls" old Quad mix that nobody round here seems to give a rat's ass about but I love to the moon and back..!! :D

I've had a MOTU 828 mk II for 8 years now...as for inputs, , it'll work fine,
BUT:
-my Mic 2 input (one of the 2 in the front ) developed a "noise" a few years ago and is not usable anymore (the Spanish) MOTU folks were very ...friendly..but I NEVER got a word back from them to replace or repair it...
- it does not pass ANY DTS/MCH info OUT.

Just a a few words in case you get a used one...

OhMIGOSH..! Them's bad.. :( ..but.. the inputs round the back of your MOTU are all good though, right kap..?

Ah-ha! I knew you would be THE ONE, my fishy friend! Since you helped me with the foobar (etc) Mac surround issues I was having, for which I am immensely grateful :)

So, as I understand it from what you are saying, my cheapest option right now "that just works" (to coin a phrase.. :eek: ) is to pick up an old Motu 828 Mk2 with FW and then use Apple's FW to Thunderbolt adapter..?

I can't say that it will be cheapest without scouring ebay specifically but I can say that it is a quality product and it would be a lot of bang for the buck for $150 - $200 that it sometimes sells for used. There will certainly be features you likely never use (all the digital I/O and routing and the Cuemix digital mixer), but that's a moot point when the features you WILL use come with a cheaper price tag than an alternative.

I haven't heard of any issues with the thunderbolt to firewire adapter. Thunderbolt speed is such that this is basically equivalent to a PCI card firewire adapter.

One thing I need to mention again though is the transfer job you have (ie. ripping that disc) is not call to purchase such a thing. You'd be spending time and money to do it wrong and have loss at the end of the day. DVD Audio Extractor will get you a perfect copy of a DVDA disc and it's only $45 I think. If it's DTS 24/96, that's a little more work (actually it's ugly to the point I would expect it to severely affect sales of the format - but it's possible) for a proper decode, but you still want to avoid an analog generation loss. Reordering the channels is easy peasy.

Perhaps you have other plans for this unit though like analog transfers. :)

The 828 has 8 balanced analog line level outputs too.

(The balanced line ins and outs can be used unbalanced too.)

Do you have a surround receiver right now? And you connect a thunderbolt to HDMI cable to it to listen to music from the computer?
If the receiver also has analog inputs you could compare the DACs in the MOTU to your receiver. Go with what sounds better. If you have some $1200 or more surround receiver it just might give the MOTU converters a challenge. If it's a more budget unit, the MOTU might be an upgrade for playback too.

PS. If you happen to be a musician who likes to record at home, it gets even easier to justify such a device. :)

Back