Marillion - Seasons End 5.1 on May

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, 85 CAD

Yowza - That is a lot. Perfectly understandable to wait.

Haven’t heard the 5.1 yet but this is my second or third favorite album by the band.

The title track and “The Space” are incredible. The value of the package is incredible. The ‘From Stoke Row To Ipanema” release is awesome. The live footage in that and the ‘Rock Steady’ footage is very cool.

image.jpg

Waiting on me when I arrived back from my holiday

The importCDs preorder seems like a good price.

I can't remember if I pre-ordered this one. Checked the Shed, ImportCDs, Amazon, and the Marillion shop and nothing.

So ordered. Hopefully I don't get two.

I don‘t preorder any longer as especially on Amazon. The preorder price is much higher than if you wait a while after the release date to purchase, often a third / half less than the preorder price. Even Importcds preorder price is higher than after the release date.
The days when the preorder the price is the lowest is gone I’m afraid.
For ex. Importcds: the price is lower for Holidays in Eden from the price of Seasons End preorder.

Holidays in Eden had a lower list cost right off the bat.
£26.66
I’m sure you are correct but I have found no advantage to preordering blu ray 5.1 surround music / box sets as of late for the best price. In my experience waiting a few months after the release date, prices have dropped quite a lot. Right now I am waiting for Porcupine Tree - Deadwing SDE which has dropped from around $110 to around $80 at Importcds. I am still waiting for Deadwing to drop to around the $60 dollar mark.

I’m sure you are correct but I have found no advantage to preordering blu ray 5.1 surround music / box sets as of late for the best price. In my experience waiting a few months after the release date, prices have dropped quite a lot. Right now I am waiting for Porcupine Tree - Deadwing SDE which has dropped from around $110 to around $80 at Importcds. I am still waiting for Deadwing to drop to around the $60 dollar mark.
Only one thing wrong with waiting, if it sells out you’ll have to pay way over the odds for it. Nobody can tell in advance if something will sell out or not

Only one thing wrong with waiting, if it sells out you’ll have to pay way over the odds for it. Nobody can tell in advance if something will sell out or not
In my case, I set a maximum price I will pay and if the item doesn’t drop enough I won’t purchase. If the price isn’t right IMO, I wasn’t meant to have it.
I waited over 3 yrs. for the DSOM immersion box set to drop to around $65. before buying. Sgt Peppers box set never dropped in price enough for me to buy yet.
Like many here, I have hundreds of surround Blu-ray, DVD audio discs etc. I won’t overpay for just for the 5.1/ Atmos surround disc. JMHO

Last edited:
Received my copy from Amazon, today.

Giving it a first listen.

I, deliberately, did not listen to Mike's appraisal of this release, until I had heard it myself.
Mike's, honest, reviews are normally hitting the mark and there is no exception here.

What is going on with Steve's voice?
He really sounds as if he's struggling quite badly to get it to an acceptable pitch.

Music I Like
Mix is so so...grr and it sounds a bit muddled and less adventurous than it should.

Sorry Marillion fans, this is nowhere as good as it could be.

I bet Steven Wilson or Stephen W. Tayler would make a superb job of this and a few other Marillion Deluxe releases.

Received my copy from Amazon, today.

Giving it a first listen.

I, deliberately, did not listen to Mike's appraisal of this release, until I had heard it myself.
Mike's, honest, reviews are normally hitting the mark and there is no exception here.

What is going on with Steve's voice?
He really sounds as if he's struggling quite badly to get it to an acceptable pitch.

Music I Like
Mix is so so...grr and it sounds a bit muddled and less adventurous than it should.

Sorry Marillion fans, this is nowhere as good as it could be.

I bet Steven Wilson or Stephen W. Tayler would make a superb job of this and a few other Marillion Deluxe releases.
Mine arrived today too. I'll probably listen sometime this weekend, after playing the new Yes a few more times. Sounds like the surround mix is disappointing :(

The album is great... the mix, not so much. I'm not talking about the lack of "surround"--it just sounds more than a little murky. (Maybe it's my speakers and/or setup. But, by contrast, Script didn't have a whole of of surround action either, but the mix of that album sounded clear as a bell.)

The Marillion releases have taken a nose dive in quality recently.

The Fish era releases were fine but this and Holidays in Eden are only worth it only for the extras.

The remastering is just another victim of the loudness war, which is pointless. The 5.1 sound folded down to stereo is better but both Holidays in Eden and Seasons End sounded better on the original CD releases and didn’t have a compressed mastering or any mixing mistakes (as has been noted for HiE).

The Fish era releases were fine but this and Holidays in Eden are only worth it only for the extras.

The remastering is just another victim of the loudness war, which is pointless. The 5.1 sound folded down to stereo is better but both Holidays in Eden and Seasons End sounded better on the original CD releases and didn’t have a compressed mastering or any mixing mistakes (as has been noted for HiE).
Glad I read this post.
Bought Holidays recently (haven’t played it yet) because the stupid low price drew me in.
Today Seasons End popped up on Amazon Canada at “Best Price” and I was tempted.
But I will resist and save my money for something I really want/need.

I believe I've purchased every surround release to date by Marillion, but sadly I've been very disappointed by the mixes more often than pleasantly surprised. My copy of Season's End deluxe is on the way, but based on the reviews I'm not expecting much from the surround mix and my disappointment had already begun with the rather horrid redo of the cover artwork. I'm glad to have the complete EMI deluxe reissue set, but going forward I do not intend to purchase any more Marillion surround releases unless the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

The Marillion Deluxe box sets have been hit or miss with the 5.1 mixes but I never noticed any really bad compression on any of the Blu ray 5.1 mixes. Just guessing but the DR values are probably DR10 - DR12. Do you consider DR values in that range Loudness War victims because I do not. (I haven’t heard Seasons End yet). I personally wouldn’t ever listen to 5.1 to stereo as I prefer surround to stereo so what would be the point of listening to a fold down in my case.

The Marillion Deluxe box sets have been hit or miss with the 5.1 mixes but I never noticed any really bad compression on any of the Blu ray 5.1 mixes. Just guessing but the DR values are probably DR10 - DR12
The front channels throughout Holidays In Eden usually fall somewhere between DR7 and DR9.

Back