Maybe this will illuminate the mess - record companies unreal.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Why some recordings are not released!

i thought many of you might get a kick out of this. I have been selling off my record collection on ebay as urbanliquidators. They are all being recorded so I still play them! Been doing this collecting a long time so there is some rare stuff including Elvis. I just sold a record to a fellow in Switzerland. Elvis Japanese release. Very rare. He Paid over 200 bucks, he wanted it bad. After whinnying about the vat tax ( which i told him to pay and be happy he does not have people begging on every corner like this country) and postage it will be way over 300. He was bitching there is no money for this project and wanted me to ship it International first class, which is cheap but no insurance. What is wrong with record companies.

This is why he wants my Japanese Elvis
http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/70/Moody_Blue/default.aspx

Why does he want these???? He is prepping them for cd release
no masters of any kind - they are doing needle drops - for elvis -

said he thinks this lp will be heading back to NY for more work after he is done

That is sad and embarrassing
What the hell is wrong with record companies that they do not understand the value of the tapes. Just astonishing. And do not want to pay a few dollars to get the lps.

If any of you do any recording, get it stored on great analog tape. Even if you record on files. Only way you can be assured 20 years from now it is still here and playable. And keep them yourself.

I've heard stories from multiple sources that the vaults at RCA are just a complete mess. They may very well have the tapes, but nobody has been cataloging and storing things properly for over 30 years. Not to mention, things that were moved to Iron Mountain years ago weren't cataloged properly or at all! But you're right- it truly is amazing how non-chalant these companies act towards musical history. But the other side of that coin also is the fact that many of these companies no longer exist and are nowjust part of some great big conglomerate that has become just a large, clumsy dinosaur waiting to die.

This is why he wants my Japanese Elvis
http://www.elvis.com/ftdreleases/70/Moody_Blue/default.aspx

Why does he want these???? He is prepping them for cd release
no masters of any kind - they are doing needle drops - for elvis -

said he thinks this lp will be heading back to NY for more work after he is done

That is sad and embarrassing
What the hell is wrong with record companies that they do not understand the value of the tapes. Just astonishing. And do not want to pay a few dollars to get the lps.

If any of you do any recording, get it stored on great analog tape. Even if you record on files. Only way you can be assured 20 years from now it is still here and playable. And keep them yourself.

Has the Elvis recording gone out of copyright? If so anybody can put out CDs etc. from whatever source, no royalties to pay. A CD does not cost much to produce, and by the sounds of it after a bit of de-clicking etc. they'll be selling them and making a huge profit. Terrible. I think some of the very early Beatles recordings have gone out of copyright over here in the UK as well!

...and I'm all for analogue tape, there is something quite relaxing watch a reel-to-reel play, the electronic equivalent of a real fire.

I'm confused. If a release is being remixed from multis, why does this guy (whoever he is) want to pay big bucks for a vinyl pressing? The only reasons I can think of: as noted above, in a country where copyrights have expired, dub a mint version off of vinyl, clean it up a little, put it out and make a little money of his own (and if well distributed, and this being Elvis, wouldn't take long to make up that $300 he pays up front). Or is he suggesting the original stereo mixdown master (the tape made from which all vinyl and tape editions are sourced--after compression and other compromises, 'course) is missing or unusable? Or that a decent copy tape meant for vinyl or tape release can't be located, either? (An absurd notion).

Not that digitally preserving a modest album like MOODY BLUE would be high on MY list....

ED :)

Has the Elvis recording gone out of copyright? If so anybody can put out CDs etc. from whatever source, no royalties to pay.

That's not entirely true - there are two copyrights that apply to the recording of a song - there is copyright on the individual recording, but there is also copyright on the composition itself. The copyright on the composition has always been longer than the copyright for the recording.

I think some of the very early Beatles recordings have gone out of copyright over here in the UK as well!

The law was changed in the last few years and the Please Please Me album is now covered until 2033. This was the reason a 59 track rarities collection was released on iTunes last year - released material has 70 years copyright, unreleased only 50. Dylan did the same thing.

Not that digitally preserving a modest album like MOODY BLUE would be high on MY list....

I think Moody Blue was offered just as an example of the type of project, not the actual record sold.

If that is correct, FTD are apparently a division of Sony, so this is not a dodgy back-room job. It's a dodgy FRONT-room job.

I'm guessing the actual record sold is for the 'bonus tracks' section rather than the core album.

But, still - shame on the record company for not having the master in question, and even bigger shame on baulking on a few dollars postage if it is something they have not kept! I'll bet like Rhino releases there will be about 57 people getting a credit in the re-release booklet (and therefore on the company payroll)!

The mention was for 4 lps they do not whole or parts of, all Japanese. This was just an example to prove what was going on. Tapes probably went home with somebody.

I think Moody Blue was offered just as an example of the type of project, not the actual record sold.

If that is correct, FTD are apparently a division of Sony, so this is not a dodgy back-room job. It's a dodgy FRONT-room job.

I'm guessing the actual record sold is for the 'bonus tracks' section rather than the core album.

But, still - shame on the record company for not having the master in question, and even bigger shame on baulking on a few dollars postage if it is something they have not kept! I'll bet like Rhino releases there will be about 57 people getting a credit in the re-release booklet (and therefore on the company payroll)!

A bit late, but here is the info.

No sound recordings made before 02/15/1972 are copyrighted in the US. There was no law to copyright the actual recording until that date.

The composition/lyrics/arrangements are copyrighted back to 1923, with that year set to expire in 2018 (95 year span). But to sell the recordings made before 1972, you have to just pay a small "mechanical" fee (based on sheet music use) for using the work. That fee is a few cents per copy. ANYONE can do this, not just the original owner.

Back