Miles Davis "Sketches Of Spain" remixed into HD Surround by Monster Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that will cool. BART, our rapid transit stops right there. It's in San Francisco on Saturday, November 6, from 4-6PM in the Moscone Room #122. Unfortunately, don't have the money to get in AFAIK:

http://www.aes.org/events/129/registration/

http://www.aes.org

But perhaps we'll see this come to some sort of disc? Very Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I hope Monster gets their act together a little bit better. Glad that they are keeping a flame going for surround but they have been awful slow to market with their own releases. The Lee Ritenour "String Theory" HD Surround release has been sitting on their release page for months now without a price and presumably a release date. But as a QQ member, I remain hopeful by default;-)

Wow, that will cool. BART, our rapid transit stops right there. It's in San Francisco on Saturday, November 6, from 4-6PM in the Moscone Room #122. Unfortunately, don't have the money to get in AFAIK:

http://www.aes.org/events/129/registration/

http://www.aes.org

But perhaps we'll see this come to some sort of disc? Very Interesting, thanks for sharing.

You're a writer! Get Jon to get you a press pass as a representative of the QQ Forum.I bet we are a pretty influential group in the world of surround. How about it Jon? Help the guy out and we can get some inside skinny.

You're a writer! Get Jon to get you a press pass as a representative of the QQ Forum.I bet we are a pretty influential group in the world of surround. How about it Jon? Help the guy out and we can get some inside skinny.

Say, I'll do it, no problem. You know I will tell you what's in the mix, what actual instruments I hear in what speaker. Was it Quad like or wide front stereo with little in the back or what. It's 11 AM Pacific time as of now, but it starts at 4, so I'd need to leave in no more than 3 hours or so. I already know more or less where the rooms are as "Wonder-Con" is there every year and we always get a table to sell our comic books.

At any rate, perhaps someone who is there will post what it was about. The question to ask if there would be, "is this the start of more Hi-Rez Multi-channel/Stereo releases?" What about the Quad mixes, can we get more re-releases, like "Bitches Brew?" And what is the general state of the music industry in relation to releases from the industry's point of view 2010/2011?

Also, we need people to lobby the music industry to make the investments to back up all their analog sources, including Quadraphonic recordings, in at least 24 bit / 96 kHz if they expect to sell anything in the future in any form. Turning CD's into MP3 isn't going to cut it in the long run if that's their only business plan.

PRESS PASS?

Sure...... (?) Not sure how I'd even start to go about this. Pardon me if I'm clueless, but you do have a good point. Scott who runs the Satellite Guys forum gets press passes and "reporters" at a lot of satellite trade shows and such. Of course, he has a ton of ads on his site, has sponsors and paying members, and I guess he uses the cash to do all of this. I never wanted to go down that road, ya know?

I hope Monster gets their act together a little bit better. Glad that they are keeping a flame going for surround but they have been awful slow to market with their own releases. The Lee Ritenour "String Theory" HD Surround release has been sitting on their release page for months now without a price and presumably a release date.

And weren't they supposed to do a Ludacris HD surround release as well?

One could possibly just go with their own website as a reporter, provided one did serious journalism and report back here in a thread. It might be possible if one's site had content and was serious about honest reporting. Not sure what the criteria is for press passes. I do Quadraphonic.info, not much there yet! ;) But will work on this, as long as I'm not duplicating what is already being done on other websites.

This is a good idea in theory, to get more people advocating and reporting about Quadraphonic/Multi-Channel, but does not have to be done through QQ to avoid any potential headaches.

Do we have any info about the event, did anyone go? I found this:

Monster Teams up with Magnolia Home Theater to Showcase Unique "High-End Audio Experience"

NewsBlaze - ‎21 hours ago‎ http://newsblaze.com/story/2010110813222100001.bw/topstory.html

SAN FRANCISCO - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Monster, a leading manufacturer of high-performance headphones and other advanced audio solutions, announced at the Audio Engineering Society (AES) Convention that it is teaming up with Magnolia Home Theater to demonstrate its unique high-end audio experience. As part of the Monster and Magnolia effort to inspire and educate consumers about the benefits of great audio, Monster and Magnolia are creating high-profile in-store merchandising and demonstration areas. These in-store demo areas will allow consumers to hear for themselves how a "greater audio experience" will enhance their enjoyment of music, movies and games. Monster products will also be included as part of the overall Magnolia Home Theater commitment to bringing consumers the leading-edge lifestyle products and technologies necessary for a superior listening and home viewing proposition. In addition, renowned loudspeaker manufacturer Bowers & Wilkins will be participating in the initiative, providing B&W speakers for powerful in-store 5.1-channel surround sound demos.

And:

Monster, Magnolia Join Forces http://www.dealerscope.com/article/monster-has-teamed-best-buys-magnolia-home-theater/1

If anyone is going to be in the downtown NYC area this Memorial Day weekend (DKA?). You might want to go down to J&R to sample the new Monster Miles Davis Tribute Jazz Headphones and preview the new Monster release of "Sketches In Spain" - to be released in "Monster High Definition Head Surround" on CD:yikes. Now if you have some extra cash lying around - and who doesn't these days, you can purchase these limited edition headphones for $249.99 (that's $150 off list!) - plus you get a free pre-release copy of The HDHS CD of "Sketches Of Spain" & another umpteenth remastered CD of "Kind Of Blue."

Nowhere does it say which label is partnering with Monster on this - but the Davis catalog is on Sony in the US (if not worldwide). I'm guessing that this is a license deal and the product is being sold exclusively via Monster - according to their site to be shipped the first week of June 2011.

I'm pretty skeptical regarding the surround effect of the headphone processing but will probably check it out sometime in the future. Sounds similar to the ORB/David Gilmour nonsense that was released earlier this year. More info here;

http://www.monstercable.com/headphones/milesdavis/default.asp#reg

and here;

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=xprnw.20110526.NY09980&show_article=1

I'm actually seeing a movie a few blocks away tonight. Very strong possibility I may stop by. Also pricing a new reciever (time to be able to listen to something other than the core DTS on DTS-MA conversions), so it gives me an extra reason to drop in.

Sketches is such a beautiful album, with all sorts of slight nuances that really could be brought out well by a quality surround mix.

Let them release an HD360 type mix in stereo. It'd actually be a decent tool for me to work off of. :)

I'm actually seeing a movie a few blocks away tonight. Very strong possibility I may stop by. Also pricing a new reciever (time to be able to listen to something other than the core DTS on DTS-MA conversions), so it gives me an extra reason to drop in.

Sketches is such a beautiful album, with all sorts of slight nuances that really could be brought out well by a quality surround mix.

Let them release an HD360 type mix in stereo. It'd actually be a decent tool for me to work off of. :)

Great! Would love to hear your thoughts. Sketches has always been one of my faves as well.

Dropped by. It was actually a one-day thing on 5/26. Big ad for "Miles Davis Day," but that was about it. There were some CDs on a front window display, but it's not yet for sale. A bit of a tease there.

They did have a similar type of release version of the old Vince Girauldi "Charlie Brown Christmas" album. From looking at the package, it does appear to be a more "3D Stereo" kind of thing in the vein of the Orb/Gilmour album and the QSound albums of the early 90's. While it sounds like an interesting match for "Sketches of Spain," I'm sure it would disappoint some here.

On the bright side, "Bridesmaids" is a damn funny movie. :)

Do the 2 channel "Q-Sound" and their ilk of 'surround sound with only 2 channels" really work for most people? I know that HTRF's are 'real' and all that, but I've never heard a 2 channel 'surround' system that sounded like sounds were around me - just vague, phasey sound. Only the original SRS system works for me because it's not trying to 'surround' you - it's re-encoding the recording on the fly so you'd hear it as if you had wider speakers and a real center channel. And it sounds amazing - the others and the 'new' SRS, don't work at all for me - and terribly mess up correct quad synthesizing/decoding on the Fosgate Tate.

...While it sounds like an interesting match for "Sketches of Spain," I'm sure it would disappoint some here.

... :)

No doubt - I'm both curious and skeptical. It's about time I upgraded my copy (original vinyl and early days CD release - pre all the "remastered editions." Despite the lack of the audiophile "toppings" - it remains a favorite (never mind that it's an important piece of highly influential music yet strangely under appreciated compared to Kind Of Blue). I'll check it out as soon as I can get a hold of a copy and report back. Glad you enjoyed the movie - I heard it was a hoot.

Do the 2 channel "Q-Sound" and their ilk of 'surround sound with only 2 channels" really work for most people? I know that HTRF's are 'real' and all that, but I've never heard a 2 channel 'surround' system that sounded like sounds were around me - just vague, phasey sound. Only the original SRS system works for me because it's not trying to 'surround' you - it's re-encoding the recording on the fly so you'd hear it as if you had wider speakers and a real center channel. And it sounds amazing - the others and the 'new' SRS, don't work at all for me - and terribly mess up correct quad synthesizing/decoding on the Fosgate Tate.

it depends on how you define "work." Is it going to fool you into thinking you've got a five-channel mix while sitting on your couch? No. Does "Metallica Spheres" sometimes make me turn my head when listening to the 3D60 mix on my IPhone while walking down the street? Sometimes.

No doubt - I'm both curious and skeptical. It's about time I upgraded my copy (original vinyl and early days CD release - pre all the "remastered editions." Despite the lack of the audiophile "toppings" - it remains a favorite (never mind that it's an important piece of highly influential music yet strangely under appreciated compared to Kind Of Blue). I'll check it out as soon as I can get a hold of a copy and report back. Glad you enjoyed the movie - I heard it was a hoot.

The number of reissues, especially of those two albums, will make your head spin. My Sketches of Spain comes from that first Columbia re-issue series. There were at least three other versions I'd never seen on the racks. I'll probably upgrade as well. Done upgrading Kind of Blue. I've got the Gold Disc AND the Dual Disc mix.

I like the other Monster discs I have, and since i don't own any copies of Sketches, I'll be picking it up.

The number of reissues, especially of those two albums, will make your head spin. My Sketches of Spain comes from that first Columbia re-issue series. There were at least three other versions I'd never seen on the racks. I'll probably upgrade as well. Done upgrading Kind of Blue. I've got the Gold Disc AND the Dual Disc mix.

Wasn't that (Kind of Blue) also one of the first Sony Super Bit-Mapping CD releases - when Sony was seriously misrepresenting SBM to the tweak magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound - basically lying about the systems performance and representing it as a brand new Sony breakthrough, because they knew neither magazine had editors or writers, nor too many readers, capable of understanding the subject at hand and calling them on it. In Audio Magazine Sony was truthful about the process, even detailing how the first Philips CD players were 14-bit units that achieved full 16-bit performance due to oversampling and noise shaping. Stereo Review got the truth from Sony too, dumbed down a little, but truthful, and issued a Sony/Stereo Review Super Bit-Mapping Sampler CD.

Back