Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested MMH’s MLP creation yesterday with new ffmpeg and all split MLP output files play in DRP.

I am testing with DRP 3.2. If your test files with latest MMH beta don’t play please check if you are using DRP 3.2.

I am using DRP 3.2 and MMH beta 4. Hmm. You have "16 channel" presentation selected under "Dolby TrueHD Decoder" options and are able to open the 2nd track without error? I must be doing something else wrong.

Maybe another user can try or check on a test file.

I am using DRP 3.2 and MMH beta 4. Hmm. You have "16 channel" presentation selected under "Dolby TrueHD Decoder" options and are able to open the 2nd track without error? I must be doing something else wrong.

Maybe another user can try or check on a test file.
The two albums I tried last night, the first one, tracks 1 and 2 played as expected. The rest did not. The second album, the first three tracks, and track 10 played correctly, while the others didn't.

Reactions: mkt
I wanted to silence existing active C and LFE channels in a 5.1 file. I didn't see an explicit option for this. "Add silent C and LFE" returns an error (it expects a 4.0 file). 'Remove C and LFE' literally removes the channels, rather than silencing them.

By trial and error I found that "Refresh Silent Channels (Remove and Recreate) (5 & 6 Ch files)' does what I want. It think you might rename that option, it's unclear as written. I wasn't refreshing already existing silent channels, I was replacing active channels with silent channels. The option did this only to C and LFE , which was what I wanted, but that wasn't obvious that it was the default, from the description.

How about just a 'Silence C and LFE' option ?

The two albums I tried last night, the first one, tracks 1 and 2 played as expected. The rest did not. The second album, the first three tracks, and track 10 played correctly, while the others didn't.

Maybe other factors are in play? My testing was from a single Atmos BDA ripped with latest version of MakeMKV. All the MLP files created with beta 4 played that I tested, I didn’t test them all but test > 50%.

Most MLP files were loaded into DRP by drag and drop from Windows File Explorer to DRP, but others with the DRP file selection dialog.

I’ll test with other releases today and report back.

(Of course, you can always use the ‘MLP no split’ output option and play that MLP file with all songs)

Reactions: mkt
Remove Channel 3 (Silent Centre) (from 5 Ch files only) doesn't seem to be working.

MMH seems to be able to find all my quad flac files using Add Sub Folders and I'm able to add a silent center channel. But after I add a silent center channel, MMH doesn't seem to be able to find those new files afterwards. They are in the same folder as the original files. I would like to be able to have to the option to revert my files back to quad if I ever want to. But MMH doesn't seem to be able to see those new 5.0 files.

Edit: It works if I use the Add FIles option but not the Add Sub Folders option. Forcing me to add albums one by one rather than scanning my library.

Last edited:
Hi Garry, hope you got the Locusts off. It looks so weird to see so much dry earth while here in CA it's been rain City.
Anyway I just downloaded the latest version as you know I only use Split And rename Concerts and Extract Audio From MKV.
When I get my next Blu Ray, I think next month I'll give you the blow by blow with the JRiver Sidecar tagging.
In the meantime thanks for all.

Does mlp extract THD or transcode audio from A to B? For example from 5.1 DTSHD or 5.1 PCM to mlp?

If the source stream is TrueHD the input stream is copied to an mlp file (no encoding required)

If the source stream is FLAC or WAV it will encode to mlp.

I have never tested what happens with a DTS input stream, but assume it will work (reencoded to mlp/truehd)

MMH 6.3.13 beta 5 released:

Fixes:

This one has the new ffmpeg version, it was not included in beta 4 (a build error)
@M-K This should fix the error you reported today (tagging issue introduced in beta 3)

Changes:
Updated Ffmpeg to 5.1.2 (Jan 12 2023 build)

Direct link to beta installer:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh/Beta/MMHInstaller.msi

If the source stream is TrueHD the input stream is copied to an mlp file (no encoding required)

If the source stream is FLAC or WAV it will encode to mlp.

I have never tested what happens with a DTS input stream, but assume it will work (reencoded to mlp/truehd)
I'll do some test. May be during weekend.

Maybe other factors are in play? My testing was from a single Atmos BDA ripped with latest version of MakeMKV. All the MLP files created with beta 4 played that I tested, I didn’t test them all but test > 50%.

Most MLP files were loaded into DRP by drag and drop from Windows File Explorer to DRP, but others with the DRP file selection dialog.

I’ll test with other releases today and report back.

(Of course, you can always use the ‘MLP no split’ output option and play that MLP file with all songs)
Which album did you test?

Billy Joel Live at Yankee Stadium (Atmos BDV) 17 chapters - the input MKV has video and multiple audio streams.

Maybe having the video stream helps get the correct starting key frame for TrueHD?. I'll test a BDA shortly.

Billy Joel Live at Yankee Stadium (Atmos BDV) 17 chapters - the input MKV has video and multiple audio streams.

Maybe having the video stream helps get the correct starting key frame for TrueHD?. I'll test a BDA shortly.
I don't have that disc to test.
I tried the Beatles Let It Be just now, and only the first track played correctly with the beta 5 build.
I believe every Blu-ray disc with Atmos, even the music only variety have video of some sort, otherwise MakeMKV wouldn't be able to output a MKV.

I just tested all the mlp files split and DRP fails on one.

I've spent quite a few hours on this now. My conclusion: ffmpeg (and MMH) cannot split an MLP stream that's compatible with the DRP.

I am currently finalizing an Atmos to WAV decoder tool in MMH Atmos Helper that gets around ffmpeg mlp splitting by decoding an MKV or MKA TrueHD/Atmos stream by decoding the entire stream to WAV then spliiting the WAV file into 'chapter' wavs.

I should have a beta version of that very soon. Testing now.

I tried the Beatles Let It Be just now, and only the first track played correctly with the beta 5 build.

Kodi plays all the split files with MLP streams ok. JRiver and VLC too.

There is some sort of check that fails in DRP that stops it from playing. I don't use DRP so its not on my critical list. Maybe Dolby will 'fix; this issue in a future DRP release or ffmpeg will update how it gets the nearest TrueHD key frame when it splits MLP streams.

Kodi plays all the split files with MLP streams ok. JRiver and VLC too.

There is some sort of check that fails in DRP that stops it from playing. I don't use DRP so its not on my critical list. Maybe Dolby will 'fix; this issue in a future DRP release or ffmpeg will update how it gets the nearest TrueHD key frame when it splits MLP streams.
I split them after I decode them, so it isn't an issue for me either. I have a folder full of MKV's that I saved for backup purposes, so I figured I would try the new feature to help with the troubleshooting.

Back