Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The edge of the world (well, the southern coast of Australia - around 100km or so of cliff to the Indian Ocean):

IMG_1820.jpeg

Question about the Convert M4A Files feature in MMH. Is there a reason why this prompt for output channel layout only appears for MPEG-H 3D encoded M4A files and not E-AC3-JOC encoded M4A files?
360ra.jpg

You mean Atmos encoded files?
If so, you need the Dolby Reference Player to decode the files.
Yes, I am referring to Atmos encoded files. I do have DRP installed. I think my inquiry didn't account for the fact that DRP must be utilized to generate a file that contains more than 6 channels.

Yes, I am referring to Atmos encoded files. I do have DRP installed. I think my inquiry didn't account for the fact that DRP must be utilized to generate a file that contains more than 6 channels.
Unless I am mistaken, you are in the wrong section of the MMH app. Go into the "MMH Atmos Helper" section.

Unless I am mistaken, you are in the wrong section of the MMH app. Go into the "MMH Atmos Helper" section.
I’m familiar the MMH Atmos Helper section and use it when I want to decode to interleaved WAV or mono WAV. My inquiry was about the ability to decode beyond 6 channel without needing to use MMH Atmos Helper. Thanks for your help.

Atmos decoding requires DRP. No known other way yet discovered.

MMH will decode MPEG-H 3D to wav (or FLAC if 8 or less objects). If you decode 4 object (quad) use the Quad output option which fixes a decoder issue where fronts and rears are mixed together (small amount of fronts get mixed into rears, less discrete than the original quad mix).

EDIT; Amazingly I can get 4G here on the beach in Ningaloo:

IMG_2050.jpeg

On the horizon are waves breaking on the reef. Huge yesterday when wind was very strong.

Last edited:
MMH is a godsend for us surround-philes!
Question (or feature request): I have extracted many Atmos recordings into .mka format and deleted original .mkv's. I now find the format I need is .m4a (Kodi for example prefers .m4a). I tried using a shell batch script using ffmpeg to convert .mka to .m4a but ffmpeg chokes:

ffmpeg.exe" -i "2.mka" -c copy -strict -2 "1.m4a"

[ipod @ 00000211366afb40] Could not find tag for codec truehd in stream #1, codec not currently supported in container
[out#0/ipod @ 000002113668ad80] Could not write header (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
Invalid argument

Can MMH convert formats? From .mka to .m4a? Or is there a correct way to use ffmpeg to convert these format?
Thanks!
Starmanj

ffmpeg.exe" -i "2.mka" -c copy -strict -2 "1.m4a"

You need to create a .mp4 file then rename to .m4a (its a 'bug' in ffmpeg)

MMH uses this command line which also removes any chapters:

-i "input.mka" -c:a copy -strict -2 -map_chapters -1 "Out.mp4"

Then it renames "Out.mp4" to "Out.m4a"

MMH's 'Extract Audio from MKV" tool converts all selected mka files with Atmos streams to .m4a with Atmos streams (it copies the streams from one container to the other, no 'conversion')

You need to create a .mp4 file then rename to .m4a (its a 'bug' in ffmpeg)

MMH uses this command line which also removes any chapters:

-i "input.mka" -c:a copy -strict -2 -map_chapters -1 "Out.mp4"

Then it renames "Out.mp4" to "Out.m4a"

MMH's 'Extract Audio from MKV" tool converts all selected mka files with Atmos streams to .m4a with Atmos streams (it copies the streams from one container to the other, no 'conversion')
Perfect! Thank you for all your help!

I ripped the Trevor Rabin Rio Blu Ray.
There are 10 chapters that I converted 2.0 and 5.1 from MKV to FLAC, easy, no problem.

There are 3 bonus tracks, that I ripped successfully from the Blu Ray as MKV.
They ripped as 3 individual MKV tracks and I believe they are stereo.

How do I change a single MKV file to a single FLAC file? Tagging included.

Extract FLACs from MKV - This has worked really for me until I got to XTC - The Big Express this past week. Had a devil of a time confirming which was 5.1 stream from all the others. I did identify Atmos, Stereo, Instrumental, Demos/Extras (16/48) as I went through all of them twice. This is what I found in t03.

Both streams in this MKV t03 are labelled DTS Lossy; the first set (highlighted) has files that are each maybe >50% larger than the lossy set in the 2nd stream listed. Could this be a misinterpretation on my part or that of MMH? I cannot account for 5.1 files otherwise. Thanks for everything you do.

1696887559736.png

Back