New Goldfrapp "Supernature" SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
CD Wow (www.cd-wow.com) is taking pre-orders for Hybrid SACD w/bonus DVD (PAL version w/Dolby 5.1 mix of album) for the new release from Goldfrapp - "Supernature" - street date 8/22. For those not familiar with Goldfrapp, they are an electro/dance/pop outfit from UK - the new single "Ooh La La" has a bit of a T-Rex groove - you can check out the video at www.goldfrapp.com - if done right (assuming it is 5.1), it could be a very entertaining addition to one's surround collection.

I would caution that the info on cd.wow might not be correct. According to the direct link from the Goldfrapp website to recordstore.co.uk - the limited edition of "supernature" is a CD/DVD set - there is no mention of SACD anywhere...
The track listing on cd.wow also includes a track called "Beautiful" which has since been pulled off the album completely (other than the Japanese release).
They record on Mute and I can't think of any Mute SACD product thus far...

This is the complete text of the link from recordstore.co.uk

"The UK's finest electronic pop alchemists, Goldfrapp, release their brand new album Supernature on 22nd August 2005. This third album follows their ethereal and beautiful 2000 debut release Felt Mountain, and 2003's sexy electro-tinged Black Cherry.

'We've made an electronic glam cross between Berlin New York and north-east Somerset' explains Alison.

Supernature is the sound of Goldfrapp breaking through their own crash barrier - a strident, psychedelic, 100% uncompromising creative force at the top of their very own game.

Tracklisting:

Audio CD disc
1. Ooh La La
2. Lovely 2 C U
3. Ride A White Horse
4. U Never Know
5. Let It Take U
6. Fly Me Away
7. Slide In
8. Koko
9. Satin Chic
10. Time Out From The World
11. Number 1

Bonus DVD disc
1. Supernature in 5.1 and stereo
-DTS 5.1 (24bit)
-Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (24bit)
-PCM Stereo (24bit)
2. Little Bits of Goldfrapp (Documentary)
-PCM Stereo
3. Animation by Andreas Nilsson
-PCM Stereo
4. Photo Gallery
-PCM Stereo

Plus enhanced section: insert the CD in your computer and discover exclusive audio, video and more through OPENDISC technology"

DrMabuse2001 said:
As I think further - there may have been an SACD of Depeche Mode "101" released but I don't ever remember seeing it...

Yes, the Depeche Mode 101 SACD was released. First batch had an error and was corrected. I have it on the shelf.

elmer said:
CD Wow (www.cd-wow.com) is taking pre-orders for Hybrid SACD w/bonus DVD (PAL version w/Dolby 5.1 mix of album) for the new release from Goldfrapp - "Supernatural" - street date 8/22. For those not familiar with Goldfrapp, they are an electro/dance/pop outfit from UK - the new single "Ooh La La" has a bit of a T-Rex groove - you can check out the video at www.goldfrapp.com - if done right (assuming it is 5.1), it could be a very entertaining addition to one's surround collection.

Got my copy today and it is indeed a muti-channel SACD plus a DVD with DD 5.1 and DTS mixes. Even the video content is anamorphic widescreen so they've really tried hard with this release. The music is well served by the surround format. Maybe if they had stuck the two discs together we'd have had an SACD dual disc. What with the Super Furry Animals new SACD and this disc both in hi-res surround maybe there's some hope for quality in the market. Both albums are fun. Recommended.

Got my copy this past week and was ecstatic that it was SACD-MC. The addition of the DVD in DD & DTS is also cool although the SACD gets the nod for sound quality (IMHO)
Goldfrapp is far and away my current fave band working and I remember a posting on this forum a while back from someone that said they had done MC mixes of the two previous albums "Felt Mountain" and ""Black Cherry". Anyone know anything further?
Also there is a kewl article in the new issue of MusicTech Magazine (musician mag from UK) with Will Gregory (1/2 of Goldfrapp) where he talks a bit about the MC mix of Supernature and how he got direction from Peter Gabriel and the folks at Real World studios in Bath - Goldfrapp record in a cottage nearby...
/\/\

Just rec'd my copy from CD Wow - it took 7 days from Hong Kong to CT, USA - not bad! I'm very happy - a fun collection of electro/glam/pop with a bit of John Barry style orchestration to boot. Madonna would give up Kabbalah to make music like this ;) . The DVD is also very cool with stereo, 5.1 Dolby and 5.1 DTS (96/24) mixes of the complete album, making of doc, animated short and photo gallery.

This week I've rec'd both Super Furry Animals and now Goldfrapp - 2 brand new MC titles (even if they're imports). A happy camper! :sun

elmer said:
Just rec'd my copy from CD Wow - it took 7 days from Hong Kong to CT, USA - not bad! I'm very happy - a fun collection of electro/glam/pop with a bit of John Barry style orchestration to boot. Madonna would give up Kabbalah to make music like this ;) . The DVD is also very cool with stereo, 5.1 Dolby and 5.1 DTS (96/24) mixes of the complete album, making of doc, animated short and photo gallery.

This week I've rec'd both Super Furry Animals and now Goldfrapp - 2 brand new MC titles (even if they're imports). A happy camper! :sun

Were you into Goldfrapp previously? Completely agree on the Madonna comment - apparently Will Gregory, 1/2 of Goldfrapp co-wrote and produced 3 tracks on the upcoming Madonna record so she obviously knows what trendsetters to employ! lol

DrMabuse2001 said:
Were you into Goldfrapp previously? Completely agree on the Madonna comment - apparently Will Gregory, 1/2 of Goldfrapp co-wrote and produced 3 tracks on the upcoming Madonna record so she obviously knows what trendsetters to employ! lol

I have both of their previous albums but have not listened to them in quite awhile - this one is more on the lines of Black Cherry, their last release - not as heavy on the electro - which was just beginning to break in Europe at the time. They sort of remind me of the Eurythmics - very stylized musically and fashionwise - Alison Goldfrapp can't match Annie Lennox on vocals though. Supernature is hitting pretty big in UK right now - a bit of a sleeper here in the States -will be big in the typical dance markets (NY, Miami, SF, etc) although it's not really a dance record.

I bought this album based on recommendations in the British Q magazine and also because her first album was good in a dark way. But this one is a bit of a disappointment. The sound is so tricked out (glam, snap on vocals, reverb, etc.) that it takes a few tracks before one realizes there is really no melody of any significance, nothing in any case different than a million other techno-dance albums.

And why does every singer want to look like Madonna-Kylie-Gwen? As Q says Goldfrapp may prove to be "not blond enough" for that schtick.

TopTip said:
I bought this album based on recommendations in the British Q magazine and also because her first album was good in a dark way. But this one is a bit of a disappointment. The sound is so tricked out (glam, snap on vocals, reverb, etc.) that it takes a few tracks before one realizes there is really no melody of any significance, nothing in any case different than a million other techno-dance albums.

And why does every singer want to look like Madonna-Kylie-Gwen? As Q says Goldfrapp may prove to be "not blond enough" for that schtick.

Rather than quibbling over the hyphen-genres of dance, I would rather offer a solution that will save you time and money. Google (or your seach engine of choice) your way to the artist or artists' label website. There, you will most likely discover audio samples, MP3, video and wealth of related info to help you make an informed decision. In the case of Goldfrapp, tracks from the new album were available over 2 months ago -same for Super Furry Animals, Eric Clapton, etc. Earlier today, someone posted info on a new SACD from an obscure German progressive rock band, RPWL - never heard of 'em. I found their website (www.rpwl.de) in less than 5 seconds. Listened to a few samples of tracks from the SACD, liked what I heard and will now purchase the SACD. Easy peasy! :)

Thanks for the recomendation Elmer. I really like the music, and the surround mix is pretty good also. I hope they do more in surround. (y)

MIDIQ said:
Thanks for the recomendation Elmer. I really like the music, and the surround mix is pretty good also. I hope they do more in surround. (y)

Glad you liked it - Mute Records in UK have released several SACD's and they are not a likely source. Earlier this year ( or maybe last?) they released the Can catalogue - not my cup of tea - but if your into Kraut Rock go for it. Also upcoming in October is the new Depeche Mode in SACD MC - you can check out a sample of their new single by navigating over to their website http://archives.depechemode.com/audio/releases/precious.html. If you liked the Goldfrapp you might like this one.

I checked out the Depeche Mode song and it sounds good, I will probably give thus one a try also. Is it coming out in the US, or UK only ?

Are the Can ones in surround ? I tried to get some info on them, but none say surround or stereo, so i would guess they are stereo. The music sounds way out there. I might try one if they were in surround, but they are just stereo i would probably pass.

I found a site that gave the info on the Can SACD's, Stereo only. I'll pass.

MIDIQ said:
I checked out the Depeche Mode song and it sounds good, I will probably give thus one a try also. Is it coming out in the US, or UK only ?

Are the Can ones in surround ? I tried to get some info on them, but none say surround or stereo, so i would guess they are stereo. The music sounds way out there. I might try one if they were in surround, but they are just stereo i would probably pass.

As far as I know, Depeche Mode SACD is UK only

TopTip said:
The sound is so tricked out (glam, snap on vocals, reverb, etc.) that it takes a few tracks before one realizes there is really no melody of any significance, nothing in any case different than a million other techno-dance albums.
The only thing I agree with in your comments is the "glam" bit, and I take that to mean a GOOD thing. I'm not talking about the visual element (I couldn't give a rat's ass about that) but there is definitely an early 70's glam sound overtone here. In fact, I had to check (then DOUBLE check) to make sure that there were no Marc Bolan cover tunes here. There aren't, but the nod to T. Rex cannot be ignored. I'm pretty confident that the Goldfrapp song title "Ride A White Horse" is not accidentally similar to the T. Rex song title "Ride A White Swan".

In any event, I find the glam/boogie overtones to blend exceptionally well with the more forward synth/dance elements. The addition of the female vocals lends to a combination that is at once familiar yet entirely new. This combination works incredibly well, and there is MELODY TO SPARE! The entire album is joyful ride from start to finish. I find this music exceptionally fresh, unique, tuneful and satisfying! HIGHLY recommended! (y) (y)

MIDIQ said:
I found a site that gave the info on the Can SACD's, Stereo only. I'll pass.
Oh man, you are missing out BIG time. Can are well worth checking out. Their music is so dense, rhytmic, hypnotic and intoxicating that you'll forget that you're listening to them in stereo. If you must have them in surround, check out the exceptional Can DVD set titled "CAN DVD". There are only a few cuts in surround, but they are fully realized discrete surround mixes. WELL worth the price of admission.

Thanks Cai, for the info on the CAN DVD, maybe I'll give it a try as soon as my wallet recovers from the Moody blues SACD's.

Back