New Jeff Beck and Asia - Mar. 31 release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Looks like our new music fixes will be coming more and more from the world of DVD and Blu Ray. While nothing to rock the boat has come out recently (believe me, I have searched high and low), there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon. On March 31, Eagle will be releasing 2 live Blu Ray discs - Jeff Beck "Performing This Week; Live At Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club" and Asia "Fantasia Live In Tokyo."

If you have the most recent Clapton Crossroads live DVD, you can see a 2 track preview of Beck and his most impressive band including the incredible ( and hot!) Tal Wilkenfeld on Bass. It also includes guest spots from Clapton, Joss Stone and Imogen Heap. The Blu Ray also has a special 7 track set featuring Beck's rockabilly tribute to Cliff Gallup. No word on encoding but most likely will be DTS HD Master Audio - more info here; http://www.yourwaytomusic.com/jeff-beck-ronnie-scotts-dvd-with-clapton-etc/

Also on Mar. 31 Eagle will release a live Blu Ray from the recent reunion tour of the 4 original members of Asia ( John Wetton, Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Geoff Downes. One would also assume DTS HD MA here as well - more info here; http://www.eagle-rock.com/eaglerockUSA/media_detail.php?media_id=998

It's nice to have something worthwhile to look forward to (and the King Crimson titles - of course!)

Thanks for the heads up, Elmer! I'll pick up Asia's BluRay. I wish they had material from their latest album (would sound great in surround BTW).

I just learned that Jeff Beck will be in Cleveland at HOB; might be time for another QQ gathering....:)

Damn... April 15. No way I can get to that one. Will have to check where he'll be before that...

Mark Z

Yeah, sounds good but I can't make this one either. The H.O.B. in Cleveland is a great venue though. Always a special experience with the performers there.

Just went to see The Pretenders at the Akron Civic Theater (another great venue). They played a lot of their deep tracks at this show along with a hand full of the hits. Two encores and they closed with an awesome rendition of "Mystery Achievement." Very cool!

I will be looking forward to the Jeff Beck BD.

Dennis

...Jeff Beck "Performing This Week; Live At Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club" ...
If you have the most recent Clapton Crossroads live DVD, you can see a 2 track preview of Beck and his most impressive band including the incredible ( and hot!) Tal Wilkenfeld on Bass. It also includes guest spots from Clapton, Joss Stone and Imogen Heap. The Blu Ray also has a special 7 track set featuring Beck's rockabilly tribute to Cliff Gallup...

Sorry to quote myself but it saves a little typing... anyway, the UPS driver handed it off to me this afternoon - popped it in the Blu Ray, cranked it up and WOW. Same band as the one on the Crossroads DVD but instead of in an outdoor arena, this time it's in a legendary London nightspot that seats 250. Jeff Beck performing live in my living room! - if your a guitar player, you must own this - watching him coax the most impossible sounds with a bare minimum of "effects" is truly humbling. The BD is chock full of cool extras including the Rockabilly set with the Big Town Playboys and a bunch of interviews. The 2 tracks with Clapton are excellent as one would expect but not necessarily the best tracks. Beck does a killer version of Billy Cobham's "Stratus" and makes it his own - along with a very cool "Day In the Life" - which would make Lennon proud. The DTS HD MA mix is great - you can really crank this and the dynamics are spot on. This is recorded in a very small club so even though the rears are mainly reverb and room - there is alot of sound in the room! A very pristine and well balanced recording. Visually, it focuses mainly on the band and Beck in particular of course - with a minimum of jumping around and excess audience shots. Highly recommended - a 10 plus! Here's the track listing for the BD for those that are interested;

Tracklisting:

1. Beck's Bolero
2. Eternity's Breath
3. Stratus
4. Cause We've Ended As Lovers
5. Behind The Veil
6. You Never Know
7. Nadia
8. Blast From The East
9. Led Boots
10. Angel (Footsteps)
11. People Get Ready - with Joss Stone
12. Scatterbrain
13. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Brush With The Blues
14. Space Boogie
15. Blanket - with IMOGEN HEAP
16. Big Block
17. A Day In The Life
18. Little Brown Bird - with Eric Clapton
19. You Need Love - with Eric Clapton
20. Rollin' And Tumblin' - with Imogen Heap
21. Where Were You

Exclusive Blu-ray rockabilly set:

1. Race With The Devil
2. Crazy Legs
3. Train Kept A Rollin'
4. My Baby Left Me
5. Matchbox
6. Baby Blue
7. Honky Tonk

Alas, I can't listen to 5.1 with my Blu-Ray player, only with the DVD player. But I need to +1 for the Jeff Beck which is incredible. Watching him creating so many different and original sounds with just an old Fender makes you look at your own guitar and mumble "eyh... wtf ?!?".

That and the bassist's curly hair in high definition. Oh my, Pioneer Kuro screens were worth the price :D Wonderful Blu-Ray, and I'm pretty sure the DVD is a must also. Great music, great feeling, great setlist.

I'll pass on the Asia. Sure the picture quality must be improved on Blu, but the concert's far too uneven for me. Kudos to Eagle Rock for betting on Musical Blu-Ray.

Eagle also released Paul Rodgers Live In Glasgow this week[i'll be watching it later this afternoon].

I got my copy earlier this week, this is a must have. The 5.1 DTS-Master Audio is incredible, just about shook my place apart. What a show. Without a doubt this rivals most of my SACD's and DVD-A's.

Sorry to quote myself but it saves a little typing... anyway, the UPS driver handed it off to me this afternoon - popped it in the Blu Ray, cranked it up and WOW. Same band as the one on the Crossroads DVD but instead of in an outdoor arena, this time it's in a legendary London nightspot that seats 250. Jeff Beck performing live in my living room! - if your a guitar player, you must own this - watching him coax the most impossible sounds with a bare minimum of "effects" is truly humbling. The BD is chock full of cool extras including the Rockabilly set with the Big Town Playboys and a bunch of interviews. The 2 tracks with Clapton are excellent as one would expect but not necessarily the best tracks. Beck does a killer version of Billy Cobham's "Stratus" and makes it his own - along with a very cool "Day In the Life" - which would make Lennon proud. The DTS HD MA mix is great - you can really crank this and the dynamics are spot on. This is recorded in a very small club so even though the rears are mainly reverb and room - there is alot of sound in the room! A very pristine and well balanced recording. Visually, it focuses mainly on the band and Beck in particular of course - with a minimum of jumping around and excess audience shots. Highly recommended - a 10 plus! Here's the track listing for the BD for those that are interested;

Tracklisting:

1. Beck's Bolero
2. Eternity's Breath
3. Stratus
4. Cause We've Ended As Lovers
5. Behind The Veil
6. You Never Know
7. Nadia
8. Blast From The East
9. Led Boots
10. Angel (Footsteps)
11. People Get Ready - with Joss Stone
12. Scatterbrain
13. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Brush With The Blues
14. Space Boogie
15. Blanket - with IMOGEN HEAP
16. Big Block
17. A Day In The Life
18. Little Brown Bird - with Eric Clapton
19. You Need Love - with Eric Clapton
20. Rollin' And Tumblin' - with Imogen Heap
21. Where Were You

Exclusive Blu-ray rockabilly set:

1. Race With The Devil
2. Crazy Legs
3. Train Kept A Rollin'
4. My Baby Left Me
5. Matchbox
6. Baby Blue
7. Honky Tonk

waaaaa!! can I come over to see it at your house??? waaaaaaa!!!!!

Back