New Prince Vault Release Announced w/ 5.1/Atmos Blu Ray of a 2011 Show

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyStatic

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Pretty sweet if you're a fan of His Royal Badness... bummer that, as in so many other cases, you have to buy the whole shebang to get the blu ray... but that seems to be the way it is these days:

https://store.prince.com/product/5QLPPR064/welcome-2-america-deluxe-2lp-1cd-bluray?cp=103229_109595
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 10.48.38 AM.png

Tal Wilkenfeld and Play That Funky Music; hmm sounds like a maybe. But so far the prior Prince shows in surround donā€™t share my idea of what surround sound is. They have all been crap; some studio surround would be what Iā€™d love to see. But hey, his live shows are special, so thereā€™s that.

Tal Wilkenfeld and Play That Funky Music; hmm sounds like a maybe. But so far the prior Prince shows in surround donā€™t share my idea of what surround sound is. They have all been crap; some studio surround would be what Iā€™d love to see. But hey, his live shows are special, so thereā€™s that.
I'm conflicted about this. Gonna have to think a bit. On one hand, of course, I'd love to have it. But I have so much Prince stuff already (including the infamous Syracuse performance) it's almost too much to choose from. And I agree with you some studio stuff in top notch surround I'd jump at. But for concert stuff the SM does a better job of surround than the "real" 5.1 mixes I've heard.

But then it is new, prior un-released concert performance... Did I say I was conflicted?

I'm conflicted about this. Gonna have to think a bit. On one hand, of course, I'd love to have it. But I have so much Prince stuff already (including the infamous Syracuse performance) it's almost too much to choose from. And I agree with you some studio stuff in top notch surround I'd jump at. But for concert stuff the SM does a better job of surround than the "real" 5.1 mixes I've heard.

But then it is new, prior un-released concert performance... Did I say I was conflicted?

Love, love, LOVE Prince but 100 bucks for [essentially] a BD~V Concert and a RBCD is a bit much. I will NOT play the Vinyl [turntable in storage]. Should the BD~V in 5.1 as a stand alone become available ....... YES!

See the source image

Some VERY TASTY Guitar Licks ..... I'm Sure!

I probably should shut the f**k up on this but... ya know :ROFLMAO:

Why oh why can't they just do a live surround mix similar to Scheiner's Loggins and Messina - Sittin' In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl: Live or John Fogerty - Premonition or Eagles -
Farewell I. Tour - Live From Melbourne or even Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

A typical surround (ha-ha) concert mix with a flat sounding front sound stage and only audiance crap in the rears just does his music a real disservice; it could be sooooo much better. Something like Horns (Maceo) and Keyboards (Renato Neto) in the rears wouldn't kill 'em would it! But then the more traditionalist folks will say "oh but that's not how a concert sounds in real life" duh; how much music do you think you're ingesting that actually sounds like "REAL LIFE" šŸ˜’

But I'm sure to give in and order this as better prices emerge šŸ˜

I probably should shut the f**k up on this but... ya know :ROFLMAO:

Why oh why can't they just do a live surround mix similar to Scheiner's Loggins and Messina - Sittin' In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl: Live or John Fogerty - Premonition or Eagles -
Farewell I. Tour - Live From Melbourne or even Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

A typical surround (ha-ha) concert mix with a flat sounding front sound stage and only audiance crap in the rears just does his music a real disservice; it could be sooooo much better. Something like Horns (Maceo) and Keyboards (Renato Neto) in the rears wouldn't kill 'em would it! But then the more traditionalist folks will say "oh but that's not how a concert sounds in real life" duh; how much music do you think you're ingesting that actually sounds like "REAL LIFE" šŸ˜’

But I'm sure to give in and order this as better prices emerge šŸ˜

IMO, PupsteršŸ¶, your 100 bucks would be better spent rescuing a PUP from the local pound!

See the source image

"I'd Like To Party [Again] like it's 1999!"

Last edited:
Iā€™ve been conditioned now to spend $100 on a box set. But this 5.1 appears to be only of the concert and not the studio album. :(

I had zero interest in this until I looked at the concert set list.
Wow.
Not a super fan, only ever bought 1999 and Around the World back in the early 80s.
But the two times I saw him live in 83 and 97 were memorable.
I always appreciated him more as a live performer.

There are enough songs I'm familiar with and interesting covers that I'm keeping an open mind.

Blu-Ray
  1. Joy In Repetition
  2. Brown Skin (India.Arie cover)
  3. 17 Days
  4. Shhh
  5. Controversy
  6. Theme From ā€œWhich Way Is Upā€ (Stargard cover)
  7. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet Jackson cover)
  8. Partyman
  9. Itā€™s Alright (Graham Central Station cover)
  10. Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)
  11. Misty Blue (Eddy Arnold cover)
  12. Letā€™s Go Crazy
  13. Delirious
  14. 1999
  15. Little Red Corvette
  16. Purple Rain
  17. The Bird (The Time cover/Prince comp)
  18. Jungle Love (The Time cover/Prince comp)
  19. A Love Bizarre (Sheila E cover/Prince comp
  20. Kiss
  21. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry cover)
  22. Hollywood Swinginā€™ (Kool & the Gang cover)
  23. Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside cover)
  24. More Than This (Roxy Music cover)

I had zero interest in this until I looked at the concert set list.
Wow.
Not a super fan, only ever bought 1999 and Around the World back in the early 80s.
But the two times I saw him live in 83 and 97 were memorable.
I always appreciated him more as a live performer.

There are enough songs I'm familiar with and interesting covers that I'm keeping an open mind.

Blu-Ray
  1. Joy In Repetition
  2. Brown Skin (India.Arie cover)
  3. 17 Days
  4. Shhh
  5. Controversy
  6. Theme From ā€œWhich Way Is Upā€ (Stargard cover)
  7. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet Jackson cover)
  8. Partyman
  9. Itā€™s Alright (Graham Central Station cover)
  10. Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)
  11. Misty Blue (Eddy Arnold cover)
  12. Letā€™s Go Crazy
  13. Delirious
  14. 1999
  15. Little Red Corvette
  16. Purple Rain
  17. The Bird (The Time cover/Prince comp)
  18. Jungle Love (The Time cover/Prince comp)
  19. A Love Bizarre (Sheila E cover/Prince comp
  20. Kiss
  21. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry cover)
  22. Hollywood Swinginā€™ (Kool & the Gang cover)
  23. Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside cover)
  24. More Than This (Roxy Music cover)
Yeah, don't think I've ever heard him do some of these tunes like "Misty Blue" & "More Than This" etc.

Back