New "Rick Wakeman" album with Surround Option

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

According to my sources, The Red Planet was not up-mixed by Simon Heyworth and was done by Erik Jordan and assisted by Toby Wood.
Is your source the same mate whose DVD didn't have the 5.1 mix? :rolleyes:
You made one reply saying there wasn't a 5.1 for the album and then you post one saying the 5.1 mix isn't any good?

"Research"? Did you really look that hard?

We already have a whole thread on it here. Short recap: RW & staff (an artist without major label support) came up with a plan for an album with plans for true, discreet 5.1 mix. Probably self funded at the start. Covid happened. Plans got screwed up, lockdowns made collaboration difficult. Original production schedules were messed up. Money was burning, the proper 5.1 was nixed. Changes were not clearly communicated. Support staff missed clarifying that the mix wasn't going to happen on their websites and press releases.

But by all accounts all forum members who asked for cancelations received them.

...and when the DVDs started arriving to those who didn't cancel, it turned out that was a multi channel upmix on the disc.
Wayne (@lowwhistler ) let us know that the upmix was done by Simon Heyworth in an attempt to make up for the pandemic induced mess ups to the original plan and content.

Messy and poorly executed plan - yes but your claim of "false advertising" - come on. RW had no reason to try and outright try a deceive anyone. Give the 73 year old guy a break - plenty of things got screwed up in pandemic.

Is your source the same mate whose DVD didn't have the 5.1 mix? :rolleyes:
You made one reply saying there wasn't a 5.1 for the album and then you post one saying the 5.1 mix isn't any good?

"Research"? Did you really look that hard?

We already have a whole thread on it here. Short recap: RW & staff (an artist without major label support) came up with a plan for an album with plans for true, discreet 5.1 mix. Probably self funded at the start. Covid happened. Plans got screwed up, lockdowns made collaboration difficult. Original production schedules were messed up. Money was burning, the proper 5.1 was nixed. Changes were not clearly communicated. Support staff missed clarifying that the mix wasn't going to happen on their websites and press releases.

But by all accounts all forum members who asked for cancelations received them.

...and when the DVDs started arriving to those who didn't cancel, it turned out that was a multi channel upmix on the disc.
Wayne (@lowwhistler ) let us know that the upmix was done by Simon Heyworth in an attempt to make up for the pandemic induced mess ups to the original plan and content.

Messy and poorly executed plan - yes but your claim of "false advertising" - come on. RW had no reason to try and outright try a deceive anyone. Give the 73 year old guy a break - plenty of things got screwed up in pandemic.
I think you need to read things a bit more thoroughly there was no 5.1 mix and it was the simulated 5.1 Upmix that I said was not that good. Regarding all that happened with Covid surely, that would have given more time to sort things out properly and not the other way around. The record company is to blame for false advertising and if you think that this is not false advertising then please tell me where the truth lies with how it was advertised.

May 2021 saw Madfish release a new 2 disc version of the album as a CD + DVD format which will feature the original album on CD and the DVD will showcase the album in glorious 5.1 surround Sound and Hi-res stereo audio (PCM Stereo @ 24-bit 96kHz / Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround @ 24-bit 48kHz / DTS 5.1 Digital Surround @ 24-bit 96kHz) plus 3 mini promo films and a 70 minute documentary of “The Making Of The Red Planet”, presented in a digipak with a 16 page colour booklet.

What about the 2003 Rick Wakeman - Out There DVD.
I never hear any talk about it here, is it also a hated upmix?
I just got one off ebay for $4.88 & free shipping NEW.

I ordered the Deluxe so got the downloadable stereo, listened to a couple of tracks, music sounds good, not a 100% enamoured with voice of the obviously very good vocalist on one of the tracks, but then its not my album!

Back