New "Rick Wakeman" album with Surround Option

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love Wakeman and I enjoyed Red Planet quite a bit, but this one sounds like one to definitely skip!
I was a Wakeman fan from the time I heard “Roundabout.” But he’s been pretty uneven over his career. I still love his first three solo albums, but “No Earthly Connection” was one I could NOT get into, and ended up donating it to the library. Then he was drunk for a decade, but did have a handful of good stuff like “Criminal Record,” so it comes as no surprise that he still strikes out on occasion. I haven’t ordered this one yet, but the previews on his site sound like I’d enjoy them.

Just gave this a spin. I like the music. I didn't have a problem with the singer as others have. Rick's playing is stellar as always. But I can not recommend the surround (up)mix. In addition, I felt a little harshness with the audio. Something recorded in this day and age should sound a good bit better. It's a pity that Simon wasn't given the opportunity to do a surround mix from the multi-tracks since we know from his Anthony Phillips mixes how great his mixes can be.

By the way, Rick is touring the USA east coast right now. His solo shows are fantastic. Worth seeing if you haven't. His playing is still flawless and his between-song anecdotes are hysterical. And if you can swing the $ for the pre-show meet and greet, it's worth it. For a lot of bands' meet and greets, you get shuffled by the artist for ten seconds while someone snaps a photo and then it's all over. But with Rick's, he does an informal Q&A with attendees (which can be quite hysterical), plays some music (something that won't be played at the evening's performance), signs autographs and then takes photos. The photo below was taken in October 2021. I'm on the left, my BFF in the middle. (The first concert we ever saw together was Yes in '79.) For his birthday, I treated him to Rick's show and the meet and greet.

250266469_4999340120079474_6751345616560656343_n.jpg

yes its inexcusable doing upmixes on new releases. I bought the CD Red Planet and really like it. It gets frequent plays.
i kinda cut them some slack during the lockdown/pandemic times of the Red Planet when it was suggested there had been an intention to do the Surround from the multi's originally but it proved impossible. now it feels much harder to justify them doing an upmix, hence i've deprioritised the purchase way down the shopping list 🧐 🤷🏻‍♀️

As many here, not so excited about this release, specifically from the surround perspective. Posted my review, which you are welcome to read.
https://hiresedition.com/review/progressive-rock/rick-wakeman-a-gallery-of-the-imagination.html
I agree with your assessment. The upmix is OK, but not what was advertised. And, like you said, instead of a digipak, just a jewel case with a cardboard cover. To add insult to injury, I ordered the signed edition, which came with the plastic off (so he could sign it, which in itself is ok), but there was no cardboard in the packing envelope to protect the case. The cd case ripped the cheap paper mailer, was sticking out and almost came right out. Luckily it didn’t, but it was close. So, to recap, not much care in packing for shipment, not much care in making sure the content or packaging is as advertised, and no video content. To be fair, it did say “video content to be determined”. For whatever reason, they determined that no videos at all was the right amount of videos.

On the upside, I am enjoying the music and, contrary to other opinions, don’t mind the singers voice. Just wish they put more care into the product and not lead us down the garden path with empty promises.

Back