New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small note

Rustyandi rang Friday and asked why the LFE light was permanently on. I replied correctly that LFE was always present on that output. Then I had my doubts yesterday and looked at Dave the Bitches video - where the LFE light was switching. Puzzled I asked Dave yesterday - he reminded me we did a software update to reflect correctly what was actually outputted......so yes its permanently on!!

Another side note. Both Dave and I forgot that we set the LFE cut off frequency to a non standard 50 Hz as we both think thats where most "woofers" fall over and the real sub should take over.

Now here is a controversial fact that Dave the Bitch and I discovered years ago. The common mythology on subwoofers is that - you cannot directionalise bass below 80 Hz, that is why most subs are set at 80 Hz. We decided to actually test that "fact" and the result surprised us both. Turned out that on LOW DISTORTION PURE SINE WAVE TONE you could not directionalise signal direction to 800 HZ! Then we tried steep cut band limited pink noise, very different result - we found that you could precisely directionalise the sub right down to 35 Hz!

Music resembles pink noise more than pure sine tone. Turn out what actually happens with subs is that when you first hear the sub (say walk into the room) you can usually pin point exactly where the sub is, then after about a minute the brain kicks in and mask's the location of the sub and yon mentally blend the bass in with the bulk of the music. This ultimately leads to non relaxation - headaches.

Told you its controversial, turns out the whole Dolby/ Lucas/ Bose thing of the sub is a bullshit marketing ploy to reduce the size/ cost of speakers so the wife will accept it and therefore us blokes will buy it. No one actually bothered to test the "fact"

Regards

Chucky

Last edited:
Another side note. Both Dave and I forgot that we set the LFE cut off frequency to a non standard 50 Hz as we both think thats where most "woofers" fall over and the real sub should take over.

Chuck, for those of who don't use subwoofers: Please confirm that the outputs marked Front L/R, Side L/R, and C are full range. I thought I recall a note somewhere that states, "All outputs full range except subwoofer"...or something to that effect...but the photo of the rear of the unit shown on the Involve website doesn't show anything like that.

Chuck, for those of who don't use subwoofers: Please confirm that the outputs marked Front L/R, Side L/R, and C are full range. I thought I recall a note somewhere that states, "All outputs full range except subwoofer"...or something to that effect...but the photo of the rear of the unit shown on the Involve website doesn't show anything like that.

CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!

Completely agree, unfortunately our marketing types push me into bookshelf crap all the time!

Definition of an adequate speaker:

1) Stands on the floor
2) Cannot be easily moved without causing a hernia
3) Resembles the monolith on 2001: A Space Odyssey
4) Invokes dirty looks from spouse
5) Get's one and one's equipment banished from the main living areas of the house.

Any other contributions?

Definition of an adequate speaker:

1) Stands on the floor
2) Cannot be easily moved without causing a hernia
3) Resembles the monolith on 2001: A Space Odyssey
4) Invokes dirty looks from spouse
5) Get's one and one's equipment banished from the main living areas of the house.

Any other contributions?
Man you guys are killing me; numbers 4 & 5 on your list are just too much of a reality for me🤤

Man you guys are killing me; numbers 4 & 5 on your list are just too much of a reality for me🤤

Here is an electrostatic speaker I designed back around 2000 - the Vass ELS 5 with a 6 feet tall hifi writer, did a bigger one around twice as wide - gave it to my technician Alan, who's cat eventually pissed into it.

Last edited:
Here is an electrostatic speaker I designed back around 2000 - the Vass ELS 5 with a 6 feet tall hifi writer, did a bigger one around twice as wide - gave it to my technician Alan, who's cat eventually pissed into it.

View attachment 40837

Darn cats, don't even give any warning; just smile at ya while firing backwards😲
(No leg lifting required!)

I received My SM V2 a couple of days ago,very happy with it as I was with the 1st version.(I bought 2 of those)
No complaints Great product it's great to be able to buy a new SQ,QS decoder in 2019.Great job guys.
Congrats!
Any audible difference between the versions?
Still waiting on mine.....

I received My SM V2 a couple of days ago,very happy with it as I was with the 1st version.(I bought 2 of those)
No complaints Great product it's great to be able to buy a new SQ,QS decoder in 2019.Great job guys.

Glad to see you post on the threads...the Surround Master is indeed powerful...drawing our inactive members out of the shadows and into the light...the FORCE IS STRONG with SMV2:dance

I got shipping info via an email from a company called "Your Freight Agent" on June 3. Then I got an email from "UPS My Choice" this morning stating that the package would be delivered tomorrow. It is coming from Australia by air.
Thanks again for the tip. I signed up with Your Freight Agent & I just got an e mail saying the package was ordered. YFA was free & cool that they are Australian. I also paid for UPS Premium my Choice so we'll see how that works out.

Last edited:
Back