New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Mcallister

Hi All

Re the super duper surround pre amp. The issue is Dave the Bitch's time. He is well down the path but held up with:...........

1 The final tests and approvals of our first batch of our new Y4 surround systems due for USA.
2 Keeping our software developers of our new encoder plugin for home studio's fed
3 Keeping a very pushy "secret" customer using our technology happy (it pays well!)

With a bit of luck he will get on it again by mid July. We will be supplying it with an external HDMI adapter as I do not want to be cptive by their $20,000 pa license fee and stuck with a previous revision on their next upgrade to this shitty format!

Onwards excelsior
Curious, I’m really wanting to join The surround master club. What price point are you shooting for with the new preamp? I want to know if I should wait or just got for a surround master 2?

My hold up with the 2 is I really need digital out, and digital in would be a big plus. I’d like to be able to use my existing room eq and with the 2 I’d have to use the analog inputs on my pre/pro which bypasses room eq.

chucky3042

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Curious, I’m really wanting to join The surround master club. What price point are you shooting for with the new preamp? I want to know if I should wait or just got for a surround master 2?

My hold up with the 2 is I really need digital out, and digital in would be a big plus. I’d like to be able to use my existing room eq and with the 2 I’d have to use the analog inputs on my pre/pro which bypasses room eq.
I am aiming at a cent below USD$2000

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
What is the PENNY for .... your THOUGHTS?
It's the "Generous" savings you receive from decades of learning and R&D, struggling in a cut throat business, and the immense benefits and pleasure you get out of their hard earned blood, sweat and tears. :bowing: - In other words, a bargain at any measure!

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
It's the "Generous" savings you receive from decades of learning and R&D, struggling in a cut throat business, and the immense benefits and pleasure you get out of their hard earned blood, sweat and tears. :bowing: - In other words, a bargain at any measure!
Don't BS me, Pupster🐶, it's probably Dave the Bitch's cut of the profits!

See the source image

chucky3042

It's more about the psychological hifi barrier of $2000. $1999.99 sounds and looks way cheaper!

chucky3042

$199.99 looks way cheaper & probably sounds the same!
Seriously how much does HDMI add to each unit?
Respectfully F#!%k HDMI!

Here is what it adds:
1593917377100.png

Plus it adds usd$20,000 of fees plus the cost of the chips, plus a lot of them are very dicky and do not always work, plus the bastards change revisions with poor backwards compatibility. We will supply the new Y4 (its sounding great!) with an outboard HDMI adapter

ss9001

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hey Chucky (& others)

I don't do daily forum checking like I did yrs ago, so I'd greatly appreciate being brought up-to-date on the latest V2 (V3?) Surround Master. Any changes to the Involve/QS and SQ algorithms since the original? Any improvements to separation & steering?

I admit I sold my original SQ SM about a year ago, thinking my restored Sansui QRX9001 (original owner from '78), QSD1 & Tate decoders were all I needed. But I'm having a twinge of new interest + upgraditis, depending on what the new unit does vs. the old one. And I'm beginning to consider getting the new version depending...on what you and others can tell me :)

I know some of the folks have probably done exhaustive comparisons of the V2/V3 to Sansui, Audionics/Fosgate-Tate gear as well as vs. the orig SM/SQ version. In a nutshell, are we talking about equal performance or something audibly better?

Finally what's the supply & shipping status now? If I ordered this month, realistically when could I expect delivery to Atlanta?

Also I have a good friend on the AVSForum, who knows I'm an old quadraphile, called me asking if I knew about Involve and the Surround Master. He had heard it mentioned by one of his audio-buddies. Needless to say I gave the original SM a good review. He doesn't go back to the quad era but is a surround sound-immersive audio fanatic so info on your new one is getting around :) He's in the tire-kicking phase now but he sounded intrigued as a possible addition to Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D.

Thanks!

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey Chucky (& others)

I don't do daily forum checking like I did yrs ago, so I'd greatly appreciate being brought up-to-date on the latest V2 (V3?) Surround Master. Any changes to the Involve/QS and SQ algorithms since the original? Any improvements to separation & steering?

I admit I sold my original SQ SM about a year ago, thinking my restored Sansui QRX9001 (original owner from '78), QSD1 & Tate decoders were all I needed. But I'm having a twinge of new interest + upgraditis, depending on what the new unit does vs. the old one. And I'm beginning to consider getting the new version depending...on what you and others can tell me :)

I know some of the folks have probably done exhaustive comparisons of the V2/V3 to Sansui, Audionics/Fosgate-Tate gear as well as vs. the orig SM/SQ version. In a nutshell, are we talking about equal performance or something audibly better?

Finally what's the supply & shipping status now? If I ordered this month, realistically when could I expect delivery to Atlanta?

Also I have a good friend on the AVSForum, who knows I'm an old quadraphile, called me asking if I knew about Involve and the Surround Master. He had heard it mentioned by one of his audio-buddies. Needless to say I gave the original SM a good review. He doesn't go back to the quad era but is a surround sound-immersive audio fanatic so info on your new one is getting around :) He's in the tire-kicking phase now but he sounded intrigued as a possible addition to Atmos/DTS-X/Auro3D.

Thanks!
This other thread on the Surround Master might whet your appetite about it's capabilities from users here. Perhaps you could guide your friend to this forum / Involve threads as well.

The Quadfather

Since 2002/2003
Hey Chucky (& others)

Thanks!
I replaced my burned out Audionics Space and Image Composer with the Surround Master V3. It does a good job with QS and SQ, I have never had QS capability, The Surround Master provides it. It's at least equal to the Audionics for SQ, Superior for QS since the Audionics never provided QS capability, and where it really shines is it's stereo processing in QS mode. Since many of my favorite recordings were only issued in stereo, that's a big plus. I loved the Audionics, and this decoder nicely fills it's place.

The Quadfather

chucky3042

Hey Chucky (& others)

Thanks!
Hi ss9001

My comments are extremely biased, a habitual liar, my father was a dodgy used car salesman (saw him one in my life in court) and should not be taken as the truth!!!

The SM 2b as it has become known as has the following enhancements

1 Metal box, looks better runs a lot cooler!
2 Has knobs to adjust all levels independently
3 Has improved buffering internally
4 Has a wider dynamic range due to an improved negative rail generator (Dave the Bitch and I are convinced it sounds better but have not done conclusive tests yet).
5 Has switching between all modes and you do not have to frig around with wiring of the RCA's and restart like the SM V1
6 Has QS (Involve)/ SQ/ TSS modes as standard

The decode is the same as the original

Delivery should be around 4 weeks, we are running a tad low on stock.

Regards

Chucky

jaybird100

QQ Supporter
Hi ss9001

My comments are extremely biased, a habitual liar, my father was a dodgy used car salesman (saw him one in my life in court) and should not be taken as the truth!!!

The SM 2b as it has become known as has the following enhancements

1 Metal box, looks better runs a lot cooler!
2 Has knobs to adjust all levels independently
3 Has improved buffering internally
4 Has a wider dynamic range due to an improved negative rail generator (Dave the Bitch and I are convinced it sounds better but have not done conclusive tests yet).
5 Has switching between all modes and you do not have to frig around with wiring of the RCA's and restart like the SM V1
6 Has QS (Involve)/ SQ/ TSS modes as standard

The decode is the same as the original

Delivery should be around 4 weeks, we are running a tad low on stock.

Regards

Chucky
Sounds like you're doing a pretty brisk business with these things, Chucky. From my impression, having used mine now for a few weeks, it's the last decoder anyone will ever need. I was playing some oldies this morning that were DES stereo, and they sounded amazing through the QS 4.0 mode. Actually, I haven't found anything yet that didn't sound great through the SM. Good on you blokes!

chucky3042

Sounds like you're doing a pretty brisk business with these things, Chucky. From my impression, having used mine now for a few weeks, it's the last decoder anyone will ever need. I was playing some oldies this morning that were DES stereo, and they sounded amazing through the QS 4.0 mode. Actually, I haven't found anything yet that didn't sound great through the SM. Good on you blokes!
We luv's ya to!!

rareed

does the new SM do any better on dyanaco disks I have one that when the anouncer talks from the back of the room he is only on the right when he was in the center with EV and QS