New Surround SACDs from Dutton Vocalion; Poco, Johnnie Taylor & Airto/Deodato (July 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
funnily enough, this is exactly what happened with Santana's Lotus, the decoded SQ turned out to have more surround activity than the mix on the actual 4-channel master
(due in part, I'm guessing, to all that phase shifting jiggery-pokery SQ is known for, moving stuff about to the rears which was never engineered to be there in the 4-ch discrete presentation in the first place!?)
I'd have loved to be there with you during the 4-channel master mix playback so that I could also hear this.

I'd have loved to be there with you during the 4-channel master mix playback so that I could also hear this.

we can all check it out ourselves now from the comfort of our own home/home theatres, the Sony Japan MultiCh SACD set has the whole of the Lotus Quad in discrete form, from the 4-ch master tapes, for the first time (plus bonus material newly mixed from multi's).

jolly interesting to compare the 4-ch presentation on those Sony Japan MultiCh SACDs to my own SQ LP decode through the Surround Master, I found the SQ decode to have more surround activity than the discrete rendition, which I was not expecting!

ultimately, perhaps the Airto/Deodato SQ decode on this new DV SACD will similarly potentially have more surround activity than the now missing 4-ch master? perhaps not!

I imagine somebody here who has the Q8 of the Airto/Deodato live Quad would be able to say either way as and when they have the opportunity to make a comparison. until then its just speculation on my part about this Airto/Deodato live Quad material, I have nothing definitive on the matter.

You could always arrange a play date.......

Your people should contact Adam's people........

oh i don't have any people, Ralph!
just a few minions..

proYL1H.jpeg

we can all check it out ourselves now from the comfort of our own home/home theatres, the Sony Japan MultiCh SACD set has the whole of the Lotus Quad in discrete form, from the 4-ch master tapes, for the first time (plus bonus material newly mixed from multi's).

jolly interesting to compare the 4-ch presentation on those Sony Japan MultiCh SACDs to my own SQ LP decode through the Surround Master, I found the SQ decode to have more surround activity than the discrete rendition, which I was not expecting!

ultimately, perhaps the Airto/Deodato SQ decode on this new DV SACD will similarly potentially have more surround activity than the now missing 4-ch master? perhaps not!

I imagine somebody here who has the Q8 of the Airto/Deodato live Quad would be able to say either way as and when they have the opportunity to make a comparison. until then its just speculation on my part about this Airto/Deodato live Quad material, I have nothing definitive on the matter.

Am I understanding it right that the Airto/Deodato Concert is being presented in QUAD with the rear channels decoded by the surround master or is it SQ encoded Stereo SACD?

Am I understanding it right that the Airto/Deodato Concert is being presented in QUAD with the rear channels decoded by the surround master or is it Stereo SQ encoded SACD?

afaik it is being presented in Quad with all channels having been decoded with an as yet unknown, to me, decoder, from an as yet unknown, to me, SQ encoded source.

steelydave may know.

Is the actual Airto/Deodato SACD QUAD, meaning already decoded onto the rear by Michael Dutton or do we have to supply the decoder?

afaik, decoded by the Wizard Of Quad!

(edit: as soon as I get my copy I will let you know any info I can glean from listening to the disc/reading the liner notes.)

or steelydave could maybe let us know ;)

also, I would just like to say, not complaining but it would be, to me, a bit of an unfortunate ballache if all the good things about this whole batch of new releases were to be sidetracked for a potentially tedious exposition on the in's and out's of one eighth of the content on offer across these 4 new SACDs.

maybe its human nature to obsess about small SQ potatoes while losing sight of all the fabulous discrete Quad gems on offer, I don't know.

personally I'm envisaging lapping up 4 Quads from Poco & Johnnie Taylor in discrete surround, then enjoying the Airto Fingers Quad discrete.. and then obsessing about, I mean trying out, the Live album SQ decode, as the lowest priority of all the contents on offer (y)

Last edited:

When the sacd arrives... afaik, Airto/Deodato live was also as quad reel.

maybe its human nature to obsess about small SQ potatoes while losing sight of all the fabulous discrete Quad gems on offer, I don't know. (y)

I think it’s just the nature of QQers to focus on the possible negative aspects of any release before it comes out (not all QQers, just some)... just look at any thread announcing the release of something exciting and you’ll see them... at least we can count on you to “always look on the bright side of life”! ;)

I think it’s just the nature of QQers to focus on the possible negative aspects of any release before it comes out (not all QQers, just some)... just look at any thread announcing the release of something exciting and you’ll see them... at least we can count on you to “always look on the bright side of life”! ;)

cheers mate, you're probably right! (y)
i think part of it is, i'm mindful of the leaner times of the past in this hobby, which was not so many years ago, when almost all I had to buy in surround was old out of print titles that were already getting pricier by the week.. now we have more new releases than almost at any time coming out, things could always be better but really imho we have so many reasons to be cheerful about surround music! :QQlove

well dammit, postie's been and gone and no package from DV in the mail today.. boo hoo.. I shall just have to play with something else this weekend, other than Poco and Johnnie T.

"shake it up, shake it down, shake it all around, Pina Colada.. yeah!":dance

Last edited:
Ordered my copy of the Poco, got the tracking this time, woke up the next day to the minimalist e-mail "Shipped," but I learned from this forum to write back, and ask for my tracking number. Monday, I hope to have those digits. I like knowing where My Stuff * is.

* Favored George Carlin reference. :LOL:

well dammit, postie's been and gone and no package from DV in the mail today.. boo hoo.. I shall just have to play with something else this weekend, other than Poco and Johnnie T.

"shake it up, shake it down, shake it all around, Pina Colada.. yeah!":dance

You POOR baby.........a house full of QUAD/5.1s in almost EVERY conceivable format.....and nothing to play? [the mellifluous sound of violins swelling in the background]

Well, at least HBO is broadcasting Stephen King's remake of IT tonight on cable so that should 'kill' 135 minutes of my [valuable?] time!:geek:hope IT ain't SHIT!

You could always play TRUTH or DARE with your Minion buddies!

Last edited:
I looked up 'ballache' thinking it might have been a word borrowed from French or another language. Apparently it isn't... ;)

sing it with me! :p

to the tune of Bonnie Tylers'
"Its A Heartache";

"Its a ballache,
Nothing but a ballache,
Hits you when its too late,
Hits you when you're down.."

Back