New Uriah Heep Box

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoy the UH period with Gary Thain on bass and Byron on vocals but have doubts of any of the multitracks being available for a surround mix. I'm tempted by the box but have to much of each in previous formats.

They have a very loyal following and I'm sure this will sell out...but for me, I'd only buy if there were surround mixes involved as I have multiples of these titles !

Pass, but dang, those are sweet looking Heep t-shirts. I hope they eventually sell them as stand alone t-shirts.

This LOOKS amazing!

Looks like something that might have been released in 1979.

I'd think it was cool to look at and handle. But a release that is 100% visual with genuinely throw-away novelty audio formats?! Still a cool collectors item but... I mean... this is music! To listen to! WTF?! Can we maybe, I don't know, get something that celebrates the MUSIC these guys made? I guess I like looking at them and their artwork well enough but I'd be more interested in a listening experience!

Sure looks cool though.

There is actually a weird surround remix of songs from their 1st 3 albums out there. A DVDA called Gold from the David Byron Era. Have you ever heard people try to remix those Rock Band and Guitar Hero stems? And how they usually turn out extra terrible between the stems being mutilated to begin with and then amateur mixes on top of that? That's what this DVDA sounds like. Nothing but extreme disappointment. I think it's an official-ish release but it sounds like a bad bootleg.

Last edited:
There is actually a weird surround remix of songs from their 1st 3 albums out there. A DVDA called Gold from the David Byron Era. Have you ever heard people try to remix those Rock Band and Guitar Hero stems? And how they usually turn out extra terrible between the stems being mutilated to begin with and then amateur mixes on top of that? That's what this DVDA sounds like. Nothing but extreme disappointment. I think it's an official-ish release but it sounds like a bad bootleg.

Oh man, this is the best description of this I've seen. I know those early Heep albums like the back of my hand, and that DVDA isn't merely "not great", it's so strange what they did (and the results), that it's a downright CONFUSING listen. Listening to it is like...

tenor.gif

Oh man, this is the best description of this I've seen. I know those early Heep albums like the back of my hand, and that DVDA isn't merely "not great", it's so strange what they did (and the results), that it's a downright CONFUSING listen. Listening to it is like...

View attachment 68277
I think it's because some of the versions used were from different takes. The mixing is from the Mike Oldfield school, like you have not heard the original mix and its the 1st time you have heard the song, rather than the Steven Wilson school of immersion in the original and recreate then expand.
I quite liked it but I'm not overly familiar with the original mixes. In fact my favorite UH album that I own is Celebration which recreates many of the early songs and which is signed by the band of the time

There are 24 bit digital masters available for all the albums (at least through Magician's). These include bonus tracks that are demo mixes. These were weird newly made mixes made from the actual multitrack masters, not original rough demos. But they were static mixes - just push the faders up and don't touch or 'work' anything. Like an "unmixed" fly on the wall view of the multitrack or something.

These bonus mixes don't come across very well for that. They just sound like unfinished rough mixes.
That "Gold" DVDA has a similar unmixed feel. But worse!

None of the stereo 24 bit masters are even included in this new box set. You're just supposed to look at the band here apparently!

I would never spend a penny on this with those being picture discs. Ugh. I bet the sound like shit. Never heard a picture disc that was actually listening to. And I LOVE Uriah Heep.

Back