New Zealand members

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers HomerJAU, nice to meet you. Glad you've survived the spider, snake, croc and shark bites so far!! : )
This is a common fallacy re living in Oz i.e. that you are never more than ten steps away from something that will potentially kill you, snake, spider, shark, shellfish, blue ring octopus wise. So, so untrue and misleading.
In fact, you would often have to go up to twenty steps to be fatally cut down.
Hope this clarifies matters. You're welcome.

Dingo, what a great rebuttal... I'm much relieved! : )

Did you get that Australian labrador in your profile pic from the local dog rescue service by any chance?

Hi all, I'm in wellington. Getting back into the surround hobby. Did it a lot in the early 2000's but now revisiting with new hardware. Got a denon avr x2800h receiver and wharfedale 12.3. added a centre and currently looking for some nice (and hopefully cheap) surrounds. sub isnt really needed. so listening in 3.0 at the moment.

Going to be listening to lots of 5.1 queen, nirvana, depeche mode and have just ordered the mansun six special edition with 5.1 dvd.

Also looking for the best way to get my multichannel flac turned into eac3/dts or truehd discs.

lso looking for the best way to get my multichannel flac turned into eac3/dts or truehd discs.

I'd recommend exact opposite. Get all your discs into files for playback. No need for any expensive multi format disc player that supports SACD, BD, DVDA etc in your future. (and why turn lossless flac into lossy EAC3 or DTS anyway?)

@HomerJAU You are probably right. I was trying to capture a nostalgic feeling of physically putting in a disc. I have a way to encode truehd so was seeing if that could go onto an avchd disc. The rabbit hole of experimenting with players and format compatibility is a time suck though.

Do you recommend any particular devices/streamers? I tried kodi on my Chromecast 4k and that seemed to play the 7.1 flac I had but I think it transcoded to ac3 into the reciever. Ideally, I could do linear PCM but would be nice to have a media library/browser player.

@HomerJAU You are probably right. I was trying to capture a nostalgic feeling of physically putting in a disc. I have a way to encode truehd so was seeing if that could go onto an avchd disc. The rabbit hole of experimenting with players and format compatibility is a time suck though.

Do you recommend any particular devices/streamers? I tried kodi on my Chromecast 4k and that seemed to play the 7.1 flac I had but I think it transcoded to ac3 into the reciever. Ideally, I could do linear PCM but would be nice to have a media library/browser player.

The Chromecast 4K should play 7.1 FLAC in Kodi and will play TrueHD/Atmos/DTS-HDMA etc via pass-through from Kodi. I recently tested Kodi v21 Omega prerelease and all ok (Chromecast in an AVR HDMI input).

Right, yeah I just installed 21 omega (using Downloader App). I think the issue was that I had the Numer of Channels configration set to 2.0 because I'd read in other forums that for movie passthrough to work it had to be in 2.0. Setting it to 7.1 makes the denon recieve multi in from kodi. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Best settings for me see to be to set the configuration to a fixed 3.0 (because that's what my denon is set up as at the moment), and to allow passthrough (the transcoding setting seems to be gone in 21?). Its getting 'Multi In' as the format on the denon as PCM. Thats nice because it means kodi is decoding the flac (for music) and AAC or AC3 5.1 for movies and sending PCM directly.

To get pass through for movies so that the denon decodes, I have to set it to 2.0, but then there are lag issues unless I set the sync to playback display on (which results in horrible pitch shifting and warbling). Maybe letting kodi decode and set multi PCM is the best way.

Back