UK Members

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having built a "neo" quad system based around a SMv3 and a CD-4 decoder into a modern surround controller and a modern 4 channel power amp what do people use for amplification if you are doing analogue quad ...do you rely on good old fashioned vintage amps ...digital stuff is easier with an AV amp of some sort but they dont cater for old style formats. Its been a dilemma for me as older amps become less reliable.
Shout out to local UK quadies ...good to know you are out there.
For SQ/QS (& Pseudo Quad from stereo): Technics SL1210GR through Pro-ject Phono Box S2 Ultra Pre-amp and a switch to select either the Phono or stereo from one of the Universal players (Oppo/Sony/Yamaha) into the SMv2, which is connected to the analogue ins on a new Denon AVC-X8500HA - which I suspect is going to be one of the last AVRs with multi-channel analogue in

Hi all As a relatively new member id like to ask if there are many QQ members from the UK …Im based in London UK and many here are US or Australian based it seems. Be interested to see what quad collectors there are here. It is seen as a quaint hobby in the UK i suspect. How international is QQ ?
Hi - Yes I'm Quad Nut in the UK. Have been since the 70's when it all began. Used to visit HMV in London each week to see what new Quad LP's had arrived. Still have them. There never was the same selection as the US. Currently have a Toshiba Quad Receiver that I had repaired and still sounds great.

Interested to hear what you think the differences are with you CD4 demodulators...I have the SE405 but i recognise the fact that I only have one device and if it fails Im on a trek into the unknown. Im aware that the discrete component decoders as opposed to the IC ones can sound more open. Am always on the look out for new old demods ...have you found anywhere to get yours fixed if its necessary

the MultiCh output of the splitter/switchbox is then fed into a MOTU multichannel audio interface, which is connected to a Computer via FireWire.

finally, the Computer is connected via HDMI to a modern AV Receiver, which is configured for 6ch playback with a Centre channel & LFE, so all Quad and 5.1 content is played back through the correct speakers.
What we all want is that multi channel switchbox, MOTU audio interface, and computer boiled down into a hifi separates style box for a few hundred quid. Several analogue multi channel ins to HDMI in one box.

Back