Next Steven Wilson 70s Mix - Let The Speculation Begin....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't there some suggestion that the band had a fairly heavy hand in the Moving Pictures mix? I think Richard's mix of Trapeze: The Collection shows his ability in a much more favourable light. I don't think it's a given that he is not capable of delivering a top-notch 5.1 Rush album.

You're absolutely right, so allow me to rephrase:

I know it would never happen, but my fantasy is that RUSH decides that they're not up to the task of mixing 2112 and/or Hemispheres and asks Steven if he would consider doing it.*

*As stated, this is just a fantasy. Based on this article,I'm fairly certain that Chycki has already done 2112, it just hasn't been released yet.

There is an interview with Ian Anderson in this month's Guitar World magazine. In it he says that "Passion Play" was not one of his favorites - but that Steven Wilson was trying to talk him into letting him (SW) remix it - I always kinda liked Passion Play and hope that Steven gets his way.

Led Zeppelin I to IV + Houses of the Holy - I think I could die a happy man after that.

Yes is mentioned a few times already. Relayer with the great track Gates of Delerium would be awesome n 5.1, with all the guitar bangs and great synth parts. Not the most popular album in the Yes catalogue, but Tales of Topographic Oceans woudl be great too. I really enjoy the instrumental parts, although some maybe a bit too long.

I seem to recall a conversation with someone on the internet that claimed to be involved with Zappa in the studio, that Zappa had a quad setup up to Joe's Garage. There have also been rumors that many other Zappa albums did get quad mixes that never got released. How much of this stuff is true, and how much of this still exists in the vaults, and how good these quad mixes would be are all mysteries, though. But, there certainly is a possibility some sort of quad mix of Joe's Garage was done, and is sitting in the vaults, rotting away, where it will sit for all eternity, as the used prices skyrocket for the now out of print Zappa catalog, since it seems no one is capable of at least keeping the damn catalog in print, let alone release unissued stuff.

Frank was way ahead of the times, he was talking about streaming via cable tv years before anyone. He knew the capabilites of cable and was into quad quite a bit, although he was also a businessman who was very aware of the downside of quad and formats/providers difference's which is why he never released much quad. It remains a mystery how much was mastered in 4 channel though. Dweezil did the 2 dvd a's so perhaps one day?

At least Gail is thinking of surround. An interesting quote from an interview with Gail Zappa about a year and a half ago:

"So my obligation, I feel, to the audience is to put out first what Frank created and then I can go back and take all of that footage, which we intended to do and are in the process of working on, and remix it in surround and put out the whole of the concert series in a big package down the road."

http://mikeking.berkleemusicblogs.c...l-zappa-copyright-creativity-covers-and-more/

And a fascinating look inside the Zappa vault with the Vaultmeister, Joe Travers. Joe says there are boxes of tapes that have never even been opened yet!

http://www.zappa.com/stufftoget/video/vaultmeister.html

Grootna
I'm In You - Peter Frampton
Best of El Roacho's Biggest Hits
Buzzard Luck - Ballin'Jack
Minus Stems & Seeds - Sons of Champlin
Songs That Made America Famous - Patrick Sky
Jingle Jangle Man - Phillip Goodhand-Tait

One of my 10 favorite albums. Not sure a surround mix would be possible, since the tapes were reputed to be a mess. Producer David Briggs assembled the album after the band had imploded. Barry Hansen aka Dr. Pimento (sic), had produced some Spirit demos, which surfaced in the '90's on their Chronicles '67-92 collection.

One I'd personally like to see/hear, though Mr. Wilson is probably not familiar with it at all..... "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus"......

Queen-News Of The World.....ELP-Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends

Todd Rundgrens - A Wizard A True Star , and Todd

Uriah Heeps first five would be fun

Lucifers Friend's first three.

I would be over joyed if the RUSH camp would get Steven to do 2112 and Hemispheres, here's hoping.
Also agree with ELO being done by Steven and would take any of their albums but if only a few could be done would be happiest if:A New World Record,Out of the Blue and Eldorado could at least see the light of day.
Queen would be another favorite with Queen 1,2 and Sheer Heart Attack at least be tackled.

peter

I would be over joyed if the RUSH camp would get Steven to do 2112 and Hemispheres, here's hoping.

No kidding. I'm always a big supporter of having the professionals properly take on albums that are difficult to upmix, with 2112 absolutely being one of them for me. Can you imagine Rush handing that over to Steven, rather than the guy who did those last mixes? It would be fantastic.

Just a reminder of SW's "20 Albums That Deserve To Be In Surround Sound" list - the following are the titles from the 70's:

ABBA - Arrival (1977)
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (1977)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (1972)
Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)
The Who - Quadrophenia (1973)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Acts I, II & III (1979)

I could live with that list :). Especially ABBA and Led Zeppelin. How about a two-pack release each time? I don't know where SW finds the time to do all these surround mixes, but I'm addicted!

It's got to be Goblin's Suspiria
Italian progressive rock and a horror OST all in one

Back