Nirvana - Nevermind (UMG-HFPA-BD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I know it's stereo only, which is a real shame as this album has honestly never sounded so good.
But the point of the post is this - what is the additional track hidden away after a lengthy silence at the end of "Something In The Way"?
It's about 6 minutes long & starts at around 53 minutes into the album, but there is no mention of it in the liner notes

interesting.. I've held off getting this due to comments over at SHF.tv that its taken from the badly DRC'd Deluxe Edition mastering. I may have to get it now, thanks Neil! (y)

It is absolutely not the same as the godawful 20th anniversary remaster.
There is no remaster credit, no claim to remastering either - it simply gives the recording locations, mix engineer & says "mastering by Bob Ludwig".
You can really hear how well this was recorded now, and it absolutely smokes even my original CD.

I have to say though that I had also heard it was the lousy version & like you held off on pulling the trigger - but was told by a very reliable source from here that it sounds a lot better than the 20th edition, so I went for it & am very happy I did. You can even hear a lot of the "rise & fall" effect created by creative side-chaining during the mix process but certainly cannot hear any limiting.

I know it's stereo only, which is a real shame as this album has honestly never sounded so good.
But the point of the post is this - what is the additional track hidden away after a lengthy silence at the end of "Something In The Way"?
It's about 6 minutes long & starts at around 53 minutes into the album, but there is no mention of it in the liner notes

It's called "Endless, Nameless" and has always been a hidden track on the album AFAIK

It's called "Endless, Nameless" and has always been a hidden track on the album AFAIK

I thank you - will now go check my ancient CD version, as I had no clue this was there - always just ejected the disc after the last track ended before and only found it this time as it was playing in the background.

No extra/hidden track on my original Aussie CD pressing - Album length is 42:28. Track 12 (Something in the Way) is 3:39.

They have the blu-ray in my local store - I might have to pick it up....

I really enjoy this HFPA disc and never got why people thought it sounded bad. I put it on against my CD copy and it was 100X better. Deeper sound, better kick to Grohl's drums and the bass on a lot of the songs have never sounded better. I think too many people hear one person say it's bad based on technical aspects like these weird dynamic sound scoring systems and it scares them away from something. I'll trust my ears over what a wavelength analysis tells me any day.

One of my favorite Nirvana tracks. I discovered it pretty much the same as most did, by leaving the cd playing after the album was over and being pleasantly jolted to attention by the unexpected track. I saw them close their show with a killer version at the Aragon Ballroom in late 1993.

Back