"One That Got Away" Which title is yours?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Did you ever kick yourself for not buying something? What about something you owned and then sold? After collecting for 50 years, I have a few in these categories. Bet you do, too! So, what are your "Ones That Got Away?"

Minus Stems and Seeds-Sons of Champlin is the title that I most regret not buying. I only saw it once. The Sons are a cult band from San Fran. A hippie jazz/rock outfit featuring the very soulful Bill Champlin. Champlin gets my vote for the most underrated person in rock. This title was on the Sons' own label. I only saw it once and was a bit afraid at 15 to bring it into the house. The cover photo depicted the title. I'm one of the few cult followers of this band in Chicago. Yet, Champlin had joined the group Chicago in 1982. He also co-wrote "After the Love Is Gone" and "Turn Your Love Around." I've never heard this LP and would love to own one. It is extremely rare.

The Beatles Mono LP Box is the one I owned and sold. I only saw it once. I bought it and liked it, but already owned the blue Stereo Lp box. I had a great relationship with the store and returned it for $100 of store credit. It was a maroon English box. Unlike the mono CD box, it DID include mono "foldover" mixes of Abbey Road and Let It Be. I bet it's now worth nearly as much as my MoFi Beatles "The Collection" LP box.

Linda

Hard to narrow it down to one.

There are countless SACD and DVD Audios I didn't buy either because of the price, or the "I'll get it next time" mentality.
Could have almost completed my collection and made a fortune selling off extra copies.

Same could be said for the many DCC Gold discs that were on the shelves in the late 90's.

Wish I would've took that tumble in the hay with Mary lou back in 72...

Ooops ! Wrong thread.

When I was in college, I had some rarities (not surround) that I sold off to avoid having to take out student loans, which I eventually wound up doing anyway (and am still paying for.) All the Pink Floyd trance remixes were part of that fire sale, as were some very rare CD5's by artists like Tori Amos, which now fetch hundreds of dollars. Sure, I absolutely still have the music that was on those things, but it would have been nice to still have held on to the originals.

One that I used to see regularly and skipped buying was Richard Thompson's Rumor & Sigh DVD-A. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I figured it would always be there. Then when I couldn't find it, I had to have it. After a couple years of fruitless searching, I finally found a copy on ebay and paid dearly for it, $90+. I almost made the shocker log. Glad I have it now, despite the price, I love that album. I learned from that not to hesitate, now I buy something I want right away.

A few months ago. I bid in an auction for Cardigans SACD new and sealed. I lost the auction but the seller had more copies and offered it to me for my highest bid which was 82.00. I had a question for the seller but they didnt respond so I passed.

I remember seeing cases and cases full of MFSL UHQRs being sold at huge discounts at Tower records back in the late 1980s. I should have bought some. I didn't buy a single one. More recently, the Eric Johnson DVD-A is now considered to be rare, but my local BestBuy had copies in stock for about two years, back when I first started buying surround discs. It wasn't rare around here. I'd never heard of the guy, so I didn't buy any. Now it's rare and I've decided thast I like the guy's playing. Oh well.

I walked into the BJ's Wholesale club in Hartford, CT 15 years or so ago, and they had a huge pile of MFSL discs, all sealed in their longboxes/plastic longboxes, all for $19 or so, and they had a large pile of about 30 Pink Floyd "The Wall" double disc sets in the cardboard longbox, which were I think $24.99.

I already had most of them, and figured, heck, if they're in the warehouses, they won't be worth much. Why should I buy them?

DUMB ASS DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

The downside of this thread is that it brings back suppressed memories.....and they're suppressed for a reason....

I could confess many times more than what has already been typed in all the previous posts above, but if i did i might have to sell what joy I have left to pay for the counselling.

we should be thankful for what we have... ...rather than depressed by what we didn't snatch up....besides If I'd kept everything I sold too cheap, or bought everything that I saw was a bargain, I'd need another house to store it....hindsight is a powerful thing..

However, on a more positive note, the stuff that I sold at too low a price has, in most cases, not risen as fast over the last 16-20 year period ,as the assets that i bought from the profit on the sale of them....it can be a quick rise from $20 - $100...but then a very slow one to even just double that again at $200...whereas other assets rise on a more regular and consistent basis.

I sold my SACD of Michael Jackson's Thriller to someone for $30.00. 3 weeks later, he was dead.
I wanted to buy another copy as my wife likes it and was peeved that I sold it.
Last 2 copies I saw were on Amazon.com for $300.00 and one on Ebay for $250.00.

-B

I sold my SACD of Michael Jackson's Thriller to someone for $30.00. 3 weeks later, he was dead.
I wanted to buy another copy as my wife likes it and was peeved that I sold it.
Last 2 copies I saw were on Amazon.com for $300.00 and one on Ebay for $250.00.

-B

Similar story: there was copy sitting on the shelf at the local Best Buy for months. I was put off by the price ($30.99)
Had decided to buy it and was headed in after work to get it the very day he died.
Heard about his passing approx lunch time, by the time I got there at 4:00pm there wasn't an MJ disc to be had period.
You snooze you lose.
I bought the Japan SACD from HMV a couple of week later , at the time they still had stock it was approx $40, but would have prefered the US pressing.

Given hindsight, there are hundreds of discs I should have purchased. What I can't figure out is how to know ahead of time which discs to purchase if the goal is to have discs that are valuable several years down the road. Since I don't know how to do that, I just buy music that I like and bargains when I find them.

I just buy EVERYTHING that comes out immediately upon release and have for nearly 40 years. Maybe not everything, but damn near! LOL!! I acquired incredible amounts of rare software for $3-$20, before it became rare. If you buy EVERYTHING, something is bound to be rare. For years, friends would come over and marvel that I had a CD of Abbey Road (Toshiba/EMI Japan), when the Beatles weren't yet available on CD. That title went out of print a week after I bought it.

Linda
Lack of Money is the Root of All Evil

Given hindsight, there are hundreds of discs I should have purchased. What I can't figure out is how to know ahead of time which discs to purchase if the goal is to have discs that are valuable several years down the road. Since I don't know how to do that, I just buy music that I like and bargains when I find them.

That's a bit like playing the lottery... buy all and hope.
Sure, I may win $500.00 on a ticket but spent $2000 in tickets to get one! :)

I just buy what I like.
I got lucky on many as I paid only $22 for a deep purple - machine head sacd or $24.99 for my ELP DVD-A
etc. There were even ones like my Gabriel set that I paid between $45 and $60.00 for each one
but now they'e going for silly money. But I don't buy for value, I buy because I like them. I sell
if I'm desperate.

I had to sell off a few of my babies because I was moving and needed the money for moving expenses.
A disc or a house of a lifetime... I chose house.
Now that I'm up and running, I find I want to replace a few.
Some are OK and I've managed. Some are just outright nuts.

Thank God I didn't get rid of my only Talk Talk sacd.
The one I don't have is going for near $300.00 and the one I do have has been
non-existant for the last 3 months on ebay and amazon.
(and they are only stereo!!)
Look at the David Bowie sacds! they were around forever at $20.00 now Let's Dance is going for near if not over $100.00!
Amazing!

If anyone has a MJ Thriller sacd for a reasonable price, please let me know?

I'm thinking that we should each go and buy a couple of copies of that Aretha quad reissue form Rhino before it's gone. That is one who's future value should be easy to predict, based on what happened with the value of the earlier CTA release.

If anyone has a MJ Thriller sacd for a reasonable price, please let me know?

I've found one some months ago for just 30$ shipped... however it's not a sonic explosion.
The "one that got away" was the first edition of Abbey Road... saw it once in a store when released in japan, never came back with a second shipment. Nowadays, with ebay and all the internet ecommerce, it's fairly easy to find out rare and OOP titles; back in 1983-1984, once you saw a CD that was intresting, better rush out the $, otherwise it wasn't sure to be there for a second time.

I remember I gave away one of those Michael Jackson SACDs in the SHF thread "Geoman's Pay it Forward" thread, back when I was "involved" over there. What a waste that was. Oh well, I figured for sure a 5.1 SACD would replace it in a year or so.

Yeah, right!

Back