Oppo 980H for Quad CD/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a JVC 5456 quad receiver that I enjoy very much. I was thinking about getting an Oppo 980H, to play some quad albums that I have burned on CDs and DVDs. Would I be able to hook the Oppo into the 5456? Originally I had thought about getting a reel to reel player, but the Oppo, which I could get for $80, seems to be a more affordable option.

Snood has a 980 and really do like it - in fact, Oppo is still servicing them for about 50 dollars if need be.

As far as hooking up to JVC ummm dunno

I have an old one that I took out of service when I replaced it with a 103. (I needed to play Blu-Rays, plus it was getting to be noisy when it was spinning a disc--maybe I should take a page out of @Snood's book and get it serviced!)

If you're going to use it for 4-channel playback only, then you should be able to configure the outputs accordingly on the speaker setup menu, but don't take my surmise as gospel. Here's the manual:
https://www.oppodigital.com/support/dv980h/download/DV-980H English Manual.pdf

That would be incredible if they still service this player. I've being playing it non-stop for the last couple of days, and it's fantastic. I heard that you can turn off video to increase processing power/performance. Have you heard of that?

Oh also you can make it region free if you have not already with an easy code OPPO DV-980H region code - VideoHelp :SB

For repair info OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players but you will have to use the email link to ask and then they will send you an invoice and directions here OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players :LB and yes page 39 of the user manual of Humprofs link goes into that very easy

Audio-Only Mode DVD-A SACD AUDIO ONLY You can enjoy higher quality audio by turning off the video processing and output. The Audio-Only mode reduces interference between the video and audio signals. 1. Press the AUDIO ONLY button on the remote control to turn off video and enter Audio-Only mode. The “A. ONLY” icon will be illuminated on the front panel of the DVD player. 2. Press the AUDIO ONLY button again to resume video and cancel Audio-Only mode.

Audio-Only mode is cancelled if the unit is switched to STANDBY.

Didn’t the 980 have an issue with a handful of DVD-A’s jumping ahead a few seconds into the first track? I seem to recall that with happening with Seal - Best Of 1991-2004 just as OPPO contacted me to beta their first BD player and I ended up selling my 980 to my brother in law.

Didn’t the 980 have an issue with a handful of DVD-A’s jumping ahead a few seconds into the first track? I seem to recall that with happening with Seal - Best Of 1991-2004 just as OPPO contacted me to beta their first BD player and I ended up selling my 980 to my brother in law.

Never heard of that one :unsure:

Back