OPPO BDP-93 beyond hope?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorO

300 Club - QQ All-Star
The mainstay of my non-Atmos playback, a region-free Oppo-BDP-93, is malfunctioning. It's not reading discs--and not reading files on the USB. At best, the disc drawer opens and closes. Sometimes not even that. Ever polite, it does still say "Hello".

Anyone experience a similar issue or have thoughts about prospects of repair? Thanks!

The mainstay of my non-Atmos playback, a region-free Oppo-BDP-93, is malfunctioning. It's not reading discs--and not reading files on the USB. At best, the disc drawer opens and closes. Sometimes not even that. Ever polite, it does still say "Hello".

Anyone experience a similar issue or have thoughts about prospects of repair? Thanks!
Have you tried un-plugging the power cord for 30 secs & try again?

I believe Oppo is still offering service on their units.

I have used Oppo repair service a couple of times. Always fast, reliable and reasonably priced.
Highly recommend.
In fact, somebody reported on another thread yesterday that they'd sent in their BDP-95 for servicing very recently, and on a whim asked if Oppo would reset the firmware so that it would play SACD ISO's again. They said yes.

Last edited:
In fact, somebody reported on another thread yesterday that they'd sent in their BDP-95 for servicing very recently, and on a whim asked if Oppo would reset the firmware so that it would play SACD ISO's again. They said yes.
I suspect that's because Oppo no longer sell new players, so the threat of loss of their BD association licence to sell new players no longer has any teeth.

I suspect that's because Oppo no longer sell new players, so the threat of loss of their BD association licence to sell new players no longer has any teeth.
I hope that's the case--and I may inquire. I sent an email soon after they stopped production and asked that exact question. At that time, they said there were "no plans" to offer Oppo owners the chance to revert earlier firmware.

It would be great if OPPO offered an upgrade that simply unlocked the industry-mandated crippled firmware: ISO playback for the the 9x, and for the 10x and 20x, ISO, SACD-R, and Blu-ray folder playback along with removal of Cinavia/Verance detection.

One can only dream :smokin

It would be great if OPPO offered an upgrade that simply unlocked the industry-mandated crippled firmware: ISO playback for the the 9x, and for the 10x and 20x, ISO, SACD-R, and Blu-ray folder playback along with removal of Cinavia/Verance detection.

It is unlikely they will offer features that were not present in any existing released version of firmware. Reverting a 93 or 95 to allow SACD ISO is by contrast just a matter of what existing firmware release to install.

Just the fact Oppo is still around to offer not only customer care, but also reasonable priced repairs on machines they no longer produce, is shocking.

Check for dust accumulation in the drive preventing the drive from reaching the ends of travel.

Back