Oppo Plays Multichannel DSD Files !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't argue against importance of recording/mastering but found

quite doubtful conclusion.
at least i can hear difference between standard rez and high rez.

No doubt you can...but is it real, or your imagination? How do you know?

that's true, this isn't very obvious on the recording of pop/rock due to distortions/limitation relevant to nature
of the gears used to recreate the sound but recording of the genres, which involve natural sound such like voice,
acoustical instruments... the difference is here, right in front of listener and only person with absolute lack of
hearing can't recognise this.

Should be simple to demonstrate under blind, level-matched conditions then. Yet....?

from the same releases, issued in both format, SACD (DSD) vs. DVD-Audio (HiRz PCM) i prefer last one.
well, it could be absence of super DAC in mine setup but bottom line is - i love to have decent sound without be
financialy broken. after all, segment of packed with super gears audiophiles even smaller than those buyers of HiRez,
which still considered a "niche" market.

As Queen once played/sang, "Funny how love is"

So you are stuck(!) with PCM since there are no readily available EQs that will process DSD.

AIUI (and my knowledge could be out of date here) it's not even possible to perform EQ in a 'pure DSD' (that is, 1-bit) domain. Hence 'DSD Wide' and other workarounds for SACD production, which are really diversions into a form of PCM.

Just curious what are the DSD --> analog output specs for the Oppo (curious to see where they've set the lowpass filter -- and yes I'm too lazy right now to find it online). Also curious to know what's the final frequency range of wideband DSD source output to an AVR digitally (like, via HDMI) with no DSP in the chain (pure direct output) -- I'm guessing there'd better the a LPF in there *somewhere*.

Just curious what are the DSD --> analog output specs for the Oppo (curious to see where they've set the lowpass filter -- and yes I'm too lazy right now to find it online). Also curious to know what's the final frequency range of wideband DSD source output to an AVR digitally (like, via HDMI) with no DSP in the chain (pure direct output) -- I'm guessing there'd better the a LPF in there *somewhere*.

"...We were initially concerned about how this would affect SACD playback given the intrinsic out of band noise DSD exhibits but we didn’t have the proper test signals to measure it. We consulted with Oppo and they informed us that the analog DSD filter is engaged for SACD playback with a -3dB at 50kHz with a 27dB/oct rolloff as indicated in the data sheet excerpt below."

Source: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...tion-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-83se

No doubt you can...but is it real, or your imagination? How do you know?

imagination have nothing to do with side by side comparison of the same recording in different sound formats.

Should be simple to demonstrate under blind, level-matched conditions then. Yet....?

and this was proven many times that sound, recorded and saved to physical medium at 96[192]khz 24 bit
is superior by details and dynamic range over analog or digital at 44khz/16bit recording. mind you, i'm talking
about original recording and not a conversion from analog tapes into digital domain.

As Queen once played/sang, "Funny how love is"

i don't feel sorrow or ashamed to love inexpensive but good goods.
after all, if someone want to spend fortune on the cables or DAC, it's their decision and luckily doesn't impact
mine wellbeing. as it says - rich folks have their own bad habbits :)

imagination have nothing to do with side by side comparison of the same recording in different sound formats.

If only that were true. This sort of comparison doesn't rule out confounding influences that can lead to imaginary perceived change in sound quality.

and this was proven many times that sound, recorded and saved to physical medium at 96[192]khz 24 bit
is superior by details and dynamic range over analog or digital at 44khz/16bit recording. mind you, i'm talking
about original recording and not a conversion from analog tapes into digital domain.

Even assuming the mastering was exactly the same in both formats, nothing is proved by this; I see no evidence that the comparisons are bias-controlled and level-matched.

Back