Holy Cow Oppo BDP-103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An AVR does not usually accept all of the format / codecs, and HDMI surround from a PC with JRiver that an Oppo does. I must have an AVR that does analog input for my other players. An AVR often will not have analog inputs. I mean there are great AVRs that do plenty. But I think I've got the most flexible arrangement going right now. Oppo with a Yamaha AVR that has HDMI and 7.1 RCA ins/outs + 110 watts per chan.

Oh and the PC with 16TBs of high-res and surround digital with every big fancy box set from Bear family and Mosaic, and beautiful 24/96 needle drops up the ying-yang.

So I guess it comes down to which AVR you suggest, I know there are some beautiful sounding ones.

What I got going sounds really nice
Hey, I got no problem with that.
I have all my surround ripped, currently somewhere between 24-27TB (mainly .iso format) and my main rig has 32TB32GB DRAM, 11 HDD's, NvMe drive, 2 SSD's.

I just bought my AVR in December, mainly for an Atmos 7.1.4 system. My Onkyo TX-RZ50 will not decode Auro3D or mpeg-h however.
But my pc IS my playback device via HDMI to AVR usually with either VLC or PowerDVD. My Oppo 103 is jailbroke and will play .iso files but still I can do that with the pc.
Don't do streaming media at this time.

edit: correction made on DRAM. 32GB not 32TB! lol.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand trying to use an Oppo as a base unit if HDMI out is being used.
The main reason I use it is that I have 10 x 4TB hard drives attached to it. It reads all of them at the same time correctly and quickly with no issues. I'm not sure if there is any non-Oppo player that can do that. I use an Apple TV 4K for streaming (Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube etc). I also have a Sony X800 for all disc playback including of course UHD. The Sony can read one hard drive attached to it if you keep a very simple file structure. The Oppo will also play a Blu-Ray disc image off a hard drive and it hasn't been modified. mkv and mp4 files for non-Blu-Ray on the Oppo.

Last edited:
Sure. But why not just go straight to the AVR? I mean assuming there's one in the system...I know not everyone uses an AVR.
For me, the Oppo simply sounds better in most cases. And I like the UI better, too.

Funny how I have three devices that can stream MCH audio - Oppo 105, Marantz 7701, and Roku+. All work well, and the features vary (gapless, shuffle, Windows playlists…) but to me, I like the way the Oppo sounds and the data it displays. I know I will feel sick for weeks when it dies.

For me, the Oppo simply sounds better in most cases. And I like the UI better, too.

Funny how I have three devices that can stream MCH audio - Oppo 105, Marantz 7701, and Roku+. All work well, and the features vary (gapless, shuffle, Windows playlists…) but to me, I like the way the Oppo sounds and the data it displays. I know I will feel sick for weeks when it dies.
Are you using the analog outs on the Oppo or bitstreaming thrrough the HDMI?

The main reason I use it is that I have 10 x 4TB hard drives attached to it. It reads all of them at the same time correctly and quickly with no issues. I'm not sure if there is any non-Oppo player that can do that. I use an Apple TV 4K for streaming (Apple Music, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube etc). I also have a Sony X800 for all disc playback including of course UHD. The Sony can read one hard drive attached to it if you keep a very simple file structure. The Oppo will also play a Blu-Ray disc image off a hard drive and it hasn't been modified. mkv and mp4 files for non-Blu-Ray on the Oppo.
Well before VLC got refined enough to play back/bitstream BD as well as it does, ....and the same goes for PowerDVD, (which I really like as it plays MP4, MKV, M4A files as well as .iso BD images)....I jailbroke my Oppo 103.

With the Oppo, I can play over my home network any .iso file of a DVD/SACD/DVDA/BD just as if I had a disc playing in the machine. Since I have a ton of each of these format discs, all ripped to .iso, it's pretty cool, especially with DVDA to be able to see the full menu and navigate them.
But DVDA menu's aside, that's basically all I'm giving up by going straight from the pc to the AVR. I now use just Foobar to play DVDA and SACD .iso's and everything else is bitstreamed in either VLC or PowerDVD.

Here's what it basically boils down to. For me I guess, maybe it's just a quirk I have, I don't like being boxed into an interface of any kind. While I'm listening to music I may also be going through a ton of email, drafting a project for my shop, or just looking at something on QQ.
I don't particularly give a crap about graphics, pictures of a band, stuff like that, and I sure as hell don't waste my time ripping well over a 1000 discs to flac or m4a and sorting and tagging them when I can play them all straight from an .iso file. (JRiver, Kodi, etc) I don't need playlists, I'm an album listener.

But I do understand completely what you are doing, @Guy Robinson . I might ask people why they do things a certain way, and I do, but I would never be so smug to say my way is the only way.
People like what they like.

I gave up ripping my CD collection to FLACs precisely because it was too time consuming sorting out the tagging etc.
Use MP3Tag, a few clicks and you're done!

Simply load your sequentially numbered tracks into the program and select all files.

Under "Tag Sources" select one of the options, I use Discogs Release ID. Find the release in Discogs first, then copy the ID number to the dialog box, click next. Another dialog box will open with all the information gleaned from that link. You can uncheck the boxes that you don't want. You can also edit information if you need to. Click OK, tags are written.

With "Tag Filename" you can instantly name all your files the way that you want!

It used to take me hours to tag my vinyl rips, now it's just a few clicks!

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Simply load your sequentially numbered tracks into the program and select all files.
I used MP3Tag, it still took too long. The trouble I found was even with things like discogs, there is always something wrong somewhere that needs correcting.

I used MP3Tag, it still took too long. The trouble I found was even with things like discogs, there is always something wrong somewhere that needs correcting.
With MusicBrainz, that isn't an issue in 2023. So many people use it now, there is almost always least one option with the correct track listing.

Under "Tag Sources" select one of the options, I use Discogs Release ID. Find the release in Discogs first, then copy the ID number to the dialog box, click next. Another dialog box will open with all the information gleaned from that link. You can uncheck the boxes that you don't want. You can also edit information if you need to. Click OK, tags are written.

With "Tag Filename" you can instantly name all your files the way that you want!

It used to take me hours to tag my vinyl rips, now it's just a few clicks!

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
There are three things I do to make Mp3Tag even more user friendly. First, check the box in the options, that automatically select the files that are added. That is not the default. Second, add a "tool" that creates a shortcut to the file in windows explorer. Third, create another Tool that automatically opens Album Art Downloader, and finds the Artist in question, and the Cover art.

Back