Panasonic SC-8700 (SA-870)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I bought a receiver from a thrift store today for $2.50, so if it doesn't work, it's no biggy.

It's a Panasonic receiver, and the front reads "SC-8700." The back, however, reads "SA-870."

It has knob selections for both "Q'Plex" and "Q'Sonic." Q'Plex was discussed in a thread a few years ago, and I believe that it was decided that Q'Plex was similar to the Hafler effect. I am guessing that Q'Sonic is supposed to be a QS decoder.

One of the unique things about this receiver is that it seems to be designed for bi-amped speakers. There are four RCA speaker connections, but each connection has two RCA jacks labeled "low" and "high." Am I interpreting this correctly?

It has four inputs labeled "playback" and four outputs labeled "rec out." It also has four other inputs labeled "aux." I tried playing a CD of QS test tones through the aux inputs with the selector set to "Q'Sonic," but it did not decode and only sent an output through two of the four "rec out" channels." I tried playing a QS record through the phono input, and this *did* give me an output on all four "rec out" channels," but the front and rear channels seemed to be duplicates of each other.

Does anyone have a user's manual for this receiver? I would love it if you could PM me and answer some of my questions about this receiver.

J. D.

Okay, here's the deal. Panasonic gear of this vintage is free of any serious decoders. That was still a year away at best. I had the RE7750 receiver...

Q'Plex is the fake quad effect from 2 channel sources. Quadrasonic is switching over to discrete 4 channel operation (Q8 tape most likely).

It was expecting 4 channels and you only fed it two.

Back