Penteo surround demo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Penteo can get HD Radio off the ground using MPEG 4 in a true multi-channel transmission (4.0/5.1 SACD/DVD-A Broadcasting) instead of the matrix options - then finally I'll get my vintage 24/7 discrete "Quadraphonic only" HD Radio station.

Well, apparently the matrix versions just don't work very well. I'm part of the Telos/Fraunhofer/MP4 camp, and did the work for them. But I am actually proud to tell you that most of the cuts in the original testing will be in Penteo - because 5.1 mixes haven't been done!

Well, apparently the matrix versions just don't work very well. I'm part of the Telos/Fraunhofer/MP4 camp, and did the work for them. But I am actually proud to tell you that most of the cuts in the original testing will be in Penteo - because 5.1 mixes haven't been done!

When will they conduct the test for the MPEG 4 system? Will they use 5.1 mixes in the MPEG 4 test? What stage of development is HD Radio at right now - March 2007 - and does any one system have the edge with those who will ultimately decide which format is adapted?

Last edited:
So how do we get HD Radio off the ground for our Quadraphonic station?

HD radio quality is very impressive, but the high cost of equipment is scaring people off. Without a huge, money-losing conglomerate like XM/Sirius to subsidize it, it's going to be a long slow journey at best.

In the public mind there are "too many new formats" out there. Corporations love new formats, the public doesn't. Spending $500 on new equipment for a new format that might not (probably won't) be around tomorrow is a consumer's absolute dead last priority.

In the public mind there are "too many new formats" out there. Corporations love new formats, the public doesn't. Spending $500 on new equipment for a new format that might not (probably won't) be around tomorrow is a consumer's absolute dead last priority.

Could there be some sort of Internet Radio using MPEG 4? Isn't the technology here already for that through a Broadband connection? Or do we need higher Broadband speeds to get the "high end sound" because of bit rates?

Last edited:
When will they conduct the test for the MPEG 4 system? Will they use 5.1 mixes in the MPEG 4 test? What stage of development is HD Radio at right now - March 2007 - and does any one system have the edge with those who will ultimately decide which format is adapted?

You asked about the status of HDRadio: HDRadio is alive and well at stations all over the country. What's new is HDRadio SURROUND, which is still being invented.

The final phase, the actual on-air testing, was waiting for the physical move of WZLX Boston into a new facility, which happens to be taking place this weekend. The testing will be ongoing; there are about 10 (yes, TEN) hand-made prototype test receivers that can receive it, but you have to know that the companies that manufacture the receivers all have engineering offices in the Boston area; that's why the test is being done there.

The problem is the bandwidth limitation of HDRadio. You only get 96kb/sec to work with, which means that aacPlus (MP4) is stretched to its absolute limits to get 5.1 channels that sounds like much of anything. I honestly haven't heard the final product of the MPEGSurround encoder that has been developed specifically for HDRadio Surround, but I'm told it sounds amazingly good.

As soon as it's up and running, the plan is to stream the surround stream over the Internet as well as the air; Fraunhofer IIS is going to have a downloadable decoder available so that people with surround cards connected to 5.1 sound systems can listen in surround online. Check out MPEGSurround.com for more details on the system, but there's no decoder available yet for download.

Ibiquity is the company in charge of HDRadio; they decide the final format or decide to support multiple formats. And as far as "new formats", this test is primarily for manufacturers of car radios, so the format would essentially come with the new car.

And yes, when 5.1 mixes are available, those are being used. The rest of the major hits, I'm proud to say, are my Penteo(R) upmixes.

-John

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and hard work you've put into getting HD Radio off the ground. I'll be looking forward to the download so I can hear the Broadcasts - which I understand in addition to the Penteo system - Quadraphonic and 5.1 mixes will also be broadcast. It'll be very interesting to hear all the various tests and sound options side by side.

Last edited:
John was kind enough to send me his 2-DVD set of classic rock demos, giving me the chance to listen carefully on my best system over a period of time.

First, a word about derived multichannel.

There have been many systems developed over the years to synthesize a soundstage covering all four, six, or eight channels from a stereo source. The only such methods that have earned respect from the "quaddies" (that's us) are those that used the phase relationships to expand the normal stereo panorama between left and right into an arc that extends from left surround, through the front channels, to the right surround. The first of these was the Tate "stereo enhance" setting, which used analog technology. Later, this same principle was employed in LCRS systems such as Dolby Prologic, and exists today in Prologic II Music (when set to create the described panorama).

I have always been a big fan of these Tate-based systems, at times almost to the extent that I've honestly wondered if all the effort and disappointment pursuing "true" multichannel was even worthwhile.

Good, derived multichannel has undeniable advantages:

1) It's cheap.
2) Unlimited supply of source material (anything two-channel)
3) Nearly always produces a decent discrete soundfield, the type preferred by MC enthusiasts
4) Does not change the original mix

These last two are crucial.

The hard fact is that, in my opinion, over half of all multichannel remixes ever done are bad, for one of three reasons:

1) Poor sound quality (worse than original stereo)
2) Poor channel placement (in rare cases, "overly discrete" or inappropriate isolation; more commonly, weak separation or isolation of instruments and voice
3) Bad mix (unsupportable changes from original, missing elements, inappropriate level changes, poor use of or changes to effects)

There have simply always been far, far too many cases where a multichannel mix does not measure up to the original stereo for one, two, or all three reasons. I honestly don't understand why this doesn't seem to bother many in the multichannel community much more than it does. It bothers me a great deal.

So, now that you know my feelings on deriving multichannel from stereo, how does PenteoSurround stack up?

First let me say that, as you might expect, the degree to which the process is successful varies widely from track to track, as it does for Tate and DPLII. Tracks like Boston's "Don't Look Back" make for a pleasant, diffuse field, but nothing you would pick out as a demo. "All Along the Watchtower", however, will turn heads as sounds come at you from every direction.

Then there's the Beatles track, "Hey Jude". Paul is center, piano dead left back, other stuff dead back right. Pretty discrete, right? These late 60's tracks seems to decode very nicely, what with their mostly mono source tracks. But what's in the front channels? Not much. Many such tracks end up this way, basically "triphonic".

In fact, with all these systems, it's worth asking: what exactly is supposed to end up in the LF and RF channels? Logically, anything panned somewhere between Center and LB should appear LF -- exactly where, I'm not sure. Diffuse sounds, like reverb, should end up at least partially there. But actually pinpointing an exact instrument -- maybe a (mono) guitar -- in a front channel really doesn't happen in any of these systems. The lack of a truly independent front soundstage is the one thing derived systems simply can't deliver. (But true MC matrix systems, like SQ, can.)

So now, in addition to the previous points for comparison with the real thing, we have a fourth question: how does Penteosurround stack up against existing derived-MC systems?

A few thoughts:

1) The isolation and localization of Center, LB and RB are near-total: as discrete as can be. This is a good thing as far as Center goes -- having vocals dead center is a definite improvement. For the surrounds, one might argue the high level of discreteness is less natural than Tate or DPLII, or "triphonic".

2) Availability of recordings is limited to those actually processed (by hand) by Penteo

So what we have is a more-discrete alternative to Tate or DPLII, (which may be an improvement, depending on material), but which carries the ball-and-chain of being limited to material processed and released by Penteo or its deputies. Obviously this limitation is nothing compared to the hardships of dealing with original multitrack sources, but it is still significant.

One last test I would like to perform is an A/B of John's demo tracks with the same stereo versions played through DPLII. It won't be fair, of course, because they won't have benefitted from John's phase correcting.

No matter how things turn out for Penteo, I want to thank John for devoting so much time and work to bringing multichannel music into 2007. He's exploring alternatives to deal with the many obstacles this paradigm faces, while attempting to develop something satisfying and practical. For that, I salute and support him.

If I were king, before allowing any classic album to be remixed in multichannel, I would have John prepare a Penteo version from the stereo, then play it for the remix engineer over good speakers. "Hear that?" I'd say. "If you can't do better than that -- LOTS better -- then let's just call it a day."

Last edited:
First, thanks for your thorough evaluation. I do want to comment on one comment though:

These late 60's tracks seems to decode very nicely, what with their mostly mono source tracks. But what's in the front channels? Not much. Many such tracks end up this way, basically "triphonic".

Many of the 1960s tracks weren't "mixed", they were simply three channels or four channels from a 3-track or 4-track master. Pan pots hadn't been invented yet, so you do wind up with discrete center, discrete left, and discrete right. On these tracks, I'm often compelled to just make them front left, center, and front right, and leave the rears out of the picture.

I'm really right-on to eggplant on his view of the the merits and pleasures of derived surround - I've got a QB QSD-1000, so maybe that's easy for me to say.

Further to what eggplant sez here:

"One last test I would like to perform is an A/B of John's demo tracks with the same stereo versions played through DPLII. It won't be fair, of course, because they won't have benefitted from John's phase correcting.",

I'd like to hear how one of John's phase-corrected stereo versions is decoded via the D-1000 (or Tate or whatever---), as compared to the original, non-corrected stereo version.

Has anybody heard anything further from PenteoSurround? I can't find any information regarding what happened with the surround radio test tracks or if anything further is being done by John.

Chris

John seems to post Penteo updates pretty frequently over at the AVS Forum. In addition to the movie projects, the possibility of a standalone, real-time Penteo decoder box was recently mentioned.

The "Watchmen" movie (in theaters this Friday) apparently contains Penteo mixes of: "Sounds of Silence", "Me and Bobby McGee" (or maybe not), "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Hallelujah", "All Along the Watchtower", and "Ride of the Valkyries".

Here's a link to the most recent thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1118933

Mark Z

John sent me a link to his latest "work". I got it on my PC and checked it out. Some of the tunes were actually tunes released in quad, so the comparison had to be done. I did it, and let's just say I'm keeping the results to myself. I appreciate what he is trying to do, however.

Wow - hard to believe this thread goes back to 2006, and here we are in 2009 with Penteo in 5 songs in the #1 movie in theaters!

I put together a new 5-minute demo off of the processed material actually used in the film -- you can download it, unzip it, and burn the .ISO to a DVD.

It's online at http://www.penteosurround.com/Focused_Email.html

Take care,

-John

Over the weekend I saw the movie "Watchmen" in a DTS theater. This movie has Penteo-Surround encoded scores in the soundtrack. I know that some Quad purists have issues with this process; however, I have to say "All Along the Watchtower" and "Ride of the Valkyries" never sounded better. Rich dynamic range and excellent channel seperation were evident throughout. John, excellent work. I hope the soundtrack will be released on a hi-rez disk because I have no intention of purchasing the DVD. Unless you are a total hard core comic book geek this film is not for you. These superheroes are from an alternate universe where we won the Vietnam War and Richard Nixon is on his fourth term in office. The film examines the fact that even superheroes cannot escape the everyday travails of life: money problems, relationship problems, alcohol problems, etc, in addition to the fact the USSR and the USA are about to start WW-III and there is debate in the ranks as to whether or not the pending war should be stopped. This film is nothing like "Ironman", "Batman", "Superman" "X-Men" etc. Those films were fun - this film, all 160 minutes of it, is not. I wish I could say the excellent soundtrack, which I truly enjoyed, makes the price of admission worthwhile. Alas, it does not.

John, hopefully Hollywood will offer you a film worthy of your talents.

Justin

Last edited:
Thanks so much -- there's a very interesting story that goes with our work on "Watchmen" that will be unveiled on Patrick's blog when our new website goes up this week.
Stay tuned!

-John

Back