HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - 1970 DEVI/ATION (ATOM HEART MOTHER) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - 1970 DEVI/ATION (ATOM HEART MOTHER)

• Total voters
AHM quad mix - so good, a 9 (7-10 = 9 avg)

The titular track = 10++, for some (??) reason just smashes the rest of the album

YES. I'm going with an 8. I LOVE the title track on this. Side B is just "so-so" for me.

I quite enjoyed the video and CD extras. Not sure I'll ever revisit them, but glad they were there.

Just to update the situation on this quad release of Atom Heart Mother....for the newer members that might not be aware of it....read the preceding comments on the previous pages first...if interested...it's still for sale on amazon.....and importcds….and the MOOSE
And, the price ($39.99) at Amazon US as linked above...is a good price. I paid $43.97 at Amazon back when it was released......

Don't ask me when I voted originally but I gave it a ten and still today I would give it another 10. This is based mostly on title track. When younger I listened to the last track mostly. Today I listen mostly to the first track an marvel at the fantastic music. WOW if I could find a lot more like this, a fantastic combination of sonics and sound with no singing, just some syllables. Just what I like in my SENIOR years, the SENIOR years are better than I ever expected.

Today I listen mostly to the first track an marvel at the fantastic music. WOW if I could find a lot more like this, a fantastic combination of sonics and sound with no singing, just some syllables. Just what I like in my SENIOR years, the SENIOR years are better than I ever expected.

There are some AMAZING live performances of AHM out there on YouTube if you want to fall down that rabbit hole. They're not by Pink Floyd but by people who clearly love the piece. Some even involve full orchestras and choirs!

Don't ask me when I voted originally but I gave it a ten and still today I would give it another 10. This is based mostly on title track. When younger I listened to the last track mostly. Today I listen mostly to the first track an marvel at the fantastic music. WOW if I could find a lot more like this, a fantastic combination of sonics and sound with no singing, just some syllables. Just what I like in my SENIOR years, the SENIOR years are better than I ever expected.
"Silence in the studio!"

There are some AMAZING live performances of AHM out there on YouTube if you want to fall down that rabbit hole. They're not by Pink Floyd but by people who clearly love the piece. Some even involve full orchestras and choirs!
In addition to dozens of performances recorded and shared of Pink Floyd themselves (both with and without orchestra)! A couple with video even. You might be able to see Rick working his quad joystick in one of them (can't remember if that glimpse was this track right now). You won't hear any of the quad though. Just the troubled mono remains of the sound.

I just received a copy of this. I purchased through Amazon about a month ago after first reading about it here.

I have owned the SQ LP for years but have not listened to it in along while.

My remembrance of it was that it was rather abstract not really what I would call psychedelic. Upon listening this go around I was struck by how "mellow" this release actually is. Those abstract bits are actually few and far between. The music seems to build to a crescendo at times breaking the monotony and sounding damn good in the process.

I find the overall sound quality to be excellent, modern recordings should sound so good.

Surround wise the rear channels seem to be always active despite rather sparse instrumentation at times, excellent mix!

I watched the videos on the Blu-ray as well. It was very cool to see Richard Wright moving the very large joystick controller atop his keyboards. I remember reading about that someplace, they used it at their concerts before quad was even a thing!

Impressed I'm voting a 10!

Last edited:
I was able to track down this for a reasonable price and am glad I did. This is really a pretty fun mix. As most have said, already, the title track is the real highlight. This is no surprise, as it has the most going on by a long shot. I know both Waters and Gilmour have not spoken kindly of this album and underneath all the horns, strings, and choral arrangements, one understands why they thought that way. It's a long, meandering, self-indulgent piece by the four of them. But it's all that extra stuff that really puts it at a different level and really creates a pretty ambitious tune. I'm not sure how much say they really had with that portion of it, but my guess is not enough to have satisfaction with the final product. That said, we get to hear the final product, and it is great in quad. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is also pretty fun.

I'm not a big fan of the Syd-era stuff, and PF for me really kind of starts with Meddle. This is the album before Meddle so it's kind of in lost territory, but still worthwhile. I likely would have hated it in my youth when I had less appreciation and tolerance for the aforementioned horns, strings, and choral arrangements, but I think it's a very inventive and original piece of psychedelic art now.

Lots of live extras on this as well.

10/10

Back