HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - ANIMALS [Blu-Ray Audio/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Pink Floyd - ANIMALS

• Total voters
For me, 'Pigs (Three Different Ones" is the killer track in surround that all by itself makes this worth a purchase.. Whereas 'Sheep' is further revealed to be kind of thin, musically (as in: not much substance there). I don't like 'new' vocoder' psalm either.
There's more subtle differences that reveal themselves , especially if you can quickly A/B against the original stereo mix (Audacity makes this easy).

For example, in "Pigs (3 Different)" , in the original mix there's a prominent string synth stab (a la 'Welcome to the Machine') at 5'43", but on the surround (5'45"), it's very muted by comparison. Meanwhile an octave lower, in the surround, there's a string synth drone on E throughout this section ,which doesn't seem audible at all in the stereo. Possibly this adds to the air of menace in the track, but I miss those high strings.

I wish I could vote 11. Really. Any issue of animals always sounded dull , rather weird to my ears, thin sounding, artificial... With big potential. Like listening to the ninth of Beethoven in the walkman šŸ˜. Now this remix brings out everything. No other remix ever of any other album in music history made such a difference. And it's not the 5.1 (very good, aggressive to the sweet spot) is the REmix! Just in stereo the difference is day and night. C'mon now we want the wall šŸ§± and meddle

10. totally 10. This is my demo album for showing off what Surround can do. My favorite surround mix overall. The mix is AMAZING. I have the Immersion versions of DSOTM and Wish You Were Here and this one blows them away, The packaging is first-rate as well (though it would have been nice to release it in a similar box to the Immersion versions. It's slightly bigger so it's a bit odd on the shelf with the others... but as a stand-alone, it's pretty amazing.

Back