Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that is doing anything if the receiver says TrueHD? What does it say without the "Dolby Access app"?
The Dolby Access app allows me to play the file on Windows Media Player, it won't play without this activated. Isn't Atmos a codec of TrueHD anyway?

I apologize if this has been discussed in here previously but there are almost 30 pages of comments and I don’t have the time to read through; is there a noticeable difference between the Immersion 5.1 mix and the new Atmos down-mixed to 5.1?

MKVed and Music Helper to the rescue - i now have an Atmos m4a. file on the PC.

First impression - staggering! The extra instruments and synths bubbling up are amazing. Some good discrete FX. I was bowled out by the sax bit in Us and Them - it swirled up from the floor like smoke and appeared in the centre position in front of me. Really difficult to describe. The bass is threatening - i love it. Just a quick whizz through. During the week will light up at 4.20 and have another full listen. I am so impressed.

Isn't Atmos a codec of TrueHD anyway?
Atmos is a "sound technology platform" that can be delivered using three different codecs: TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) or Dolby MAT.

Dolby MAT beeing perhaps a more complex process that first encodes to PCM+Objects and then the receiver decodes.

I just set my recliner in the middle of the room and unboxed my immersion dark side set (mainly to check the Blu-Ray was working stil… it is) and decided to listen to the Quad mix as it’s been a while. Man, it’s so good and there’s so many little difference’s compared with the stereo and 5.1 that I have to agree with others here that it’s the best version (not that I’ve heard the Atmos mix) I’m going to ever have. Not missing the new box set at all and quite happy to save my money for things like SDE surround discs such as the newly announced Tubular Bells one. I’m now listening to the Quad Wish You Were Here and thoroughly enjoying it too. Meddle in 5.1 next me thinks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BSHHN1MV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1680410432551.png

I just set my recliner in the middle of the room and unboxed my immersion dark side set (mainly to check the Blu-Ray was working stil… it is) and decided to listen to the Quad mix as it’s been a while. Man, it’s so good and there’s so many little difference’s compared with the stereo and 5.1 that I have to agree with others here that it’s the best version (not that I’ve heard the Atmos mix) I’m going to ever have. Not missing the new box set at all and quite happy to save my money for things like SDE surround discs such as the newly announced Tubular Bells one. I’m now listening to the Quad Wish You Were Here and thoroughly enjoying it too. Meddle in 5.1 next me thinks!
Big difference.Immersion doesn't even come close to ATMOS.

I don’t doubt it but as I said “it’s the best version I’m ever going to own” that is until it gets a stand alone release but that’s unlikely at this time.
I wish you and many others to get this stand alone BD.I would buy it also but I don't think they will ever release this format.I'm listening to surround in my professionally built home theatre with all the acoustic treatment,so ATMOS is always #1 to consider.

Back