OT Technical from Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the WWII submarine pens in Bordeaux last night and saw a sound and light show inside. Moving images based on Dali artwork to Pink Floyd music from various albums (even Atom Heart Mother), it was very interesting.
I had to Google that. Interesting what they've done with the old sub work stations.
I'm a bit of a WW II buff and I'd love to see it in person.
Growing up in Chicago I used to love to do the tour of the captured German U505 sub
that 's at the Museum Of Science & Industry. I must have been there 20 times.
It was a great place for me and my buds to hang when we cut school, no one ever asked kids walking around why they weren't in school. LOL
https://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/u-505-submarine/

I had to Google that. Interesting what they've done with the old sub work stations.
I'm a bit of a WW II buff and I'd love to see it in person.
What got me is the roof is 9 metres thick solid re-enforced concrete. 9 metres! That's about 30 feet in old money!!

EDIT: which is why it still exists, demolishing it would be prohibitively expensive.

My standalone blu-ray arrived today from Rarewaves. Listening to the stereo first for some reason, nice (y). I don't have Atmos, so I'll try the fold down 5.1 from that mix later.
There is no such thing as fold down in Atmos, all sounds are in the bed. Now the bed is usually (possibly always I haven't checked) 7.1 so there could be a down mix for the rears.

A lot of bands did that. The Beatles released a load of stuff including B sides for one day on Apple Music to retain copyright and then withdrew them, which is a pretty cynical thing to do. Either release it and leave it available, or don't release it at all is my view.
Yup, the Rolling Stones did it too. And the actual term in Europe is kind of shocking - it's 70 years from release if released within 50 years for sound recordings made after 1962. A few countries have shorter terms but the number has been diminishing.

In the USA, for sound recordings made before 2/15/1972 copyright typically lasts until the end of 2067, although it's technically state-by-state, and there's now additional rules for digital releases.

Together him hating DTS and being really keen on tube/valve mic amps, I have serious doubts about Guthrie's judgement.
Tube mic pres can impart pleasing coloration to microphones' frequency response via selective harmonic distortion. As a creative sonic choice, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using them.

Tube mic pres can impart pleasing coloration to microphones' frequency response via selective harmonic distortion. As a creative sonic choice, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using them.
Better to capture the raw mic output and then if you want to add colouration do it in the audio workstation, you can then dial it up or down to choice. But if you bake it in and it's too much or wrong type it's too late to change.

I don’t tell my AVR what to decode, I let it figure it out by itself.
For stereo TV I select Dolby Surround. But if I leave that set when playing 5.1 sources it does strange things, those I have to select the raw decode whether DD 5.1, DTS, True HD or DTS HD MA. Atmos I have to select Dolby Virtual so it actually does an Atmos decode (to put things in the correct channels) despite my 5.0 speakers. Letting the amp figure it out by itself does not work for me with this amp.

A lot of bands did that. The Beatles released a load of stuff including B sides for one day on Apple Music to retain copyright and then withdrew them, which is a pretty cynical thing to do. Either release it and leave it available, or don't release it at all is my view.
Their b-sides have all been in print forever. No reason to do that. What stuff did they release and on what day was that?

Back