Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mysterious wonders of Amazon:unsure:. They just moved up delivery of DSOTM BD by one day AND processed a refund of $5 due to pre-order price guarantee. This now has cost me just $20 and will arrive tomorrow. I am SO glad I passed on the big boxset.

The mysterious wonders of Amazon:unsure:. They just moved up delivery of DSOTM BD by one day AND processed a refund of $5 due to pre-order price guarantee. This now has cost me just $20 and will arrive tomorrow. I am SO glad I passed on the big boxset.
Got mine yesterday and yes I just got the notification of a $5 refund. I'll take it! Gave it a cursory listen last night. I listened to the the Atmos and the 5.1 DTS HD layers. I don't have Atmos setup in my system...hoping to in the future. So the DTS HD definitely sounded better on my rig. The Atmos just didn't quite sound right, probably because I don't have an Atmos setup. But I wanted to try it because the Atmos sounds very good on Abbey Road. But something's off with this one. At least on my system. The DTS HD layers sounded really good. Very refined.

Got mine yesterday and yes I just got the notification of a $5 refund. I'll take it! Gave it a cursory listen last night. I listened to the the Atmos and the 5.1 DTS HD layers. I don't have Atmos setup in my system...hoping to in the future. So the DTS HD definitely sounded better on my rig. The Atmos just didn't quite sound right, probably because I don't have an Atmos setup. But I wanted to try it because the Atmos sounds very good on Abbey Road. But something's off with this one. At least on my system. The DTS HD layers sounded really good. Very refined.
The DTS HD is a different mix, that's the 2003 SACD 5.1 mix which I don't rate.

Your issues with the Atmos mix with non Atmos playback may be similar to mine, it all sounded rather "in the middle" to me due to all the channel sharing for the height channels as I explained earlier. Decoding the Atmos even on a 5.0 system really improved it, much to my surprise.

I haven't followed the history of the DSotM surround sound mixes (although, once I get this Blu-ray, I'll have all 3) - has the original 1970s quad mix ever been released on an optical disc (or MCH download)?

Kirk Bayne

Wow, the sound quality on this mix is astounding. The clarity and separation of instruments and vocals makes it sound like it was recorded yesterday. The low end energy on Time is massive. True, the surround mix is not as adventurous as the Alan Parson quad, but still very satisfying to me, and I’ll take this level of sound quality any day.

I haven't followed the history of the DSotM surround sound mixes (although, once I get this Blu-ray, I'll have all 3) - has the original 1970s quad mix ever been released on an optical disc (or MCH download)?

Kirk Bayne
Doesn't this release NOT have the Quad mix? If that's not what you're referring to in the "all 3" though, what other mix could you be referring to? There's the Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mix, to my knowledge.

Back