Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After listening to this twice yesterday (only in true dolby mode) it sounds phenomenal compared to the previous 5.1 mix, having had a look at the poll thread for this I question why people are listening on streaming services and giving it bad marks? It is a Blu ray disc poll, not a lossy streaming service poll, these marks reduce the overall score and may give a false impression to some who don’t read every post like I do. The mods should be removing these scores or requesting the members listen to the blu ray and change their vote. My atmos speakers will arrive by the end of the week and this will be my first listen without a doubt.
Sorry for the rant but too many polls being ruined by streaming services

After listening to this twice yesterday (only in true dolby mode) it sounds phenomenal compared to the previous 5.1 mix, having had a look at the poll thread for this I question why people are listening on streaming services and giving it bad marks? It is a Blu ray disc poll, not a lossy streaming service poll, these marks reduce the overall score and may give a false impression to some who don’t read every post like I do. The mods should be removing these scores or requesting the members listen to the blu ray and change their vote. My atmos speakers will arrive by the end of the week and this will be my first listen without a doubt.
Sorry for the rant but too many polls being ruined by streaming services
I have listened to the Atmos on Apple Music before I got the BD, and I agree it sounds a little better from BD, especially the fidelity is better. I never vote in the polls if I don't have in on BD and I don't think it's many who do.

I had up-firing speakers for 3 years, in my opinion they were as much use as a chocolate coffee pot but hopefully yours will be much better, I have to do everything on the cheap as i’m a poor pensioner, I can’t wait to finally hear some sounds from above, I have more than 20 Atmos albums and about the same in Atmos movies, i’ll be going Atmos crazy when they finally arrive 👍
For the price.. well forget the price. Pretend I said they were 5 grand. They sound amazing! Somehow they have bass that you can hear even without the sub while listening to quad records without bothering the neighbors. I had those cube Bose, Logitech, Altec Lansing for comparison, (all the way up to 12 inch Pioneers and even 15 inch Peaveys and Shure Vocal Masters... no comparison). The Bose cubes didn't have near the sound of these. Can't beat the price. Really only recommending because they sound great. I do have them mounted on the ceiling next to an auto projector screen so the up firing speakers are only about 2.5 inches from where they bounce off the ceiling vs suggested use of being head high, perhaps that's why I can differentiate the Atmos sounds coming from them. 🤔🤷. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33832&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PMax+|+Offers+|+Big+25%+Off&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=6614305189&hsa_cam=20643527428&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4bipBhCyARIsAFsieCxtHHuuBY4yBLVg0XXyygYJEswq1xPSYuy2D3zte24Z6LtO8fV1PFwaApcYEALw_wcB

The only thing I can say about this DSOTM Atmois mix is:
IT KICKS ASS!

Agreed. For years my go to for DSotM was the Parson's Quad mix on the immersion set (which was a pain to play on a lot of equipment). As I upgraded/changed equipment over the years, I switched to favoring the 2003 Guthrie 5.1 mix. It's less aggressive on how it used surround, but had more of even presentation (in my room the Quad isn't as strong in the midrange/low end) and I think a smidge more detailed.

The Atmos surpasses both. Back to back, it has a bit less bass impact vs the 5.1 on things like opening of Time, but the bass is much more detailed and nuanced. The low end in the 5.1 sounds more like a tone. The use of the ceiling channels for the disembodied voices is a great choice and leaves the base channels free to play the music. I think one of the standouts to me is Great Gig in the Sky. There's actual low end punch here and it's just a much more dynamic presentation. Very enveloping mix overall. Like others I'd hoped they'd give it to Wilson for this release, but I think Guthrie nailed it.

I kind of wish I'd waited for the standalone disc rather than buying the set, but I've enjoyed it many times since buying it and life is short. Just glad others are getting to enjoy it at much more reasonable price point.

Last edited:
hearing the reports on how good the Atmos sounds really makes me want to upgrade my system and add Atmos speakers. because after listening to this blu-ray there's not much reason to get it if you already have the SACD and or the Parsons Quad. IMO, the 5.1 is really good but it's not an improvement over those. i hesitate because i have my setup dialed in the way i like it. i currently run a 10 year old Denon receiver. a few years ago i tried out a newer Denon and i couldn't get it to sound as good so i took it back. now if i could find another receiver that sounded as good or hopefully better than i would make the switch.

Can anyone with a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 setup please try the Speaker ID or white noise option in the Blu-ray? I'm getting something really weird: when selecting height front or back test, I'm getting the sound coming at the same time from height front and back speakers. When I run, for example, the Atmos test tones available in Apple Music, I get the right behaviour.

Can anyone with a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 setup please try the Speaker ID or white noise option in the Blu-ray? I'm getting something really weird: when selecting height front or back test, I'm getting the sound coming at the same time from height front and back speakers. When I run, for example, the Atmos test tones available in Apple Music, I get the right behaviour.
I ran it from the blu-ray on my 7.1.4 (actually 7.2.4) system and everything checks out perfectly, both on the channel ID test and the pink noise test.

Some interesting findings here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/atmos-playback-in-5-1.34962/post-731117

hearing the reports on how good the Atmos sounds really makes me want to upgrade my system and add Atmos speakers. because after listening to this blu-ray there's not much reason to get it if you already have the SACD and or the Parsons Quad. IMO, the 5.1 is really good but it's not an improvement over those. i hesitate because i have my setup dialed in the way i like it. i currently run a 10 year old Denon receiver. a few years ago i tried out a newer Denon and i couldn't get it to sound as good so i took it back. now if i could find another receiver that sounded as good or hopefully better than i would make the switch.

The 5.1 is the same 2003 mix. The only real advantage of this release for a 5.1 setup would be if the increased clarity they've managed in the Atmos mix folds down into 5.1 better than the 2003 native 5.1 mix. If I had to guess, I'd say the engineered 5.1 mix would end up better. But it might be worth trying.

Not to derail the topic, but I had a similar experience. I had an Integra preamp that I upgraded to a Marantz 7702MK2 (same company/software/processing as Denon) to be able to handle 4K video. I was never very happy with the Marantz. Audyssey was audibly worse in my space no matter how many times I ran it. It would upmix things with no real way to defeat it (except using pure). I ended up using the "pure" mode as my default. It sounded best with no added processing, but that meant bass redirection and any sort of correction was defeated. It was OK for what it was, but the Integra just acted like you'd want it to.

I ended up going to the last two MWAVE events to demo preamps and compare their sound and correction methods. Everyone's ears are different, but to me the standouts were Anthem and Lyngdorf (Storm was great, but I don't know of anyone that can afford that). Anthem is the much more affordable of the two. And I can say that I have friends that own Anthem products and report it does a great job with music and the room correction works really well (it also doesn't force any upmixing to use features). The rooms I have been in with Anthem preamps and receivers I've really like them. I ended up with a used Lyngdorf and have been thrilled with it. Just my takeaway from comparing what's out there. As always you should let your own ears steer you.

Last edited:
Back