Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Pink Floyd. Drums are nothing like the most important part of the music. Apart from in a couple of places (like the roto-toms), they're an accompaniment to the guitars and vocals.
I do agree with you, however a big part of the enjoyment of Floyd for me is Nick Mason’s truly underrated drumming and I’ve never heard it better and more clearly than on the 5.1 mixes. I hope to get a similar feeling when listening to The Wall 5.1. I guess what I’m saying is that it’s a subjective thing.

It must be said I do enjoy the Quad very much and I do think it is better than the 5.1. JG definitely could have been more bold and daring but as it is I think the 5.1 is beautifully immersive and I like listening to it as much as the Quad.

I feel the same way for the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 which doesn’t get much praise around here. Sure, it’s not as wild and discrete as it could (and perhaps should) be, but for a 4-track recording from 1967 the fidelity is staggering and it’s certainly more immersive than listening to it in stereo. It’s my go-to version and highly enjoyable.

Last edited:
The smoothness and overall balance of the Atmos DSOTM exceeds all previous multi-channel mixes IMO. The passion for the quad still raises my eyebrows. The transitions are not smooth and panning is similarly so. All of this makes sense, given that it was just Parsons and a second set of hands on the console for the quad mix, and that , without any automation is a tremendous feat, but doesn't compare to the later versions, especially the Atmos, which is smooth as honey and sonically delightful.

The smoothness and overall balance of the Atmos DSOTM exceeds all previous multi-channel mixes IMO. The passion for the quad still raises my eyebrows. The transitions are not smooth and panning is similarly so. All of this makes sense, given that it was just Parsons and a second set of hands on the console for the quad mix, and that , without any automation is a tremendous feat, but doesn't compare to the later versions, especially the Atmos, which is smooth as honey and sonically delightful.
Yes sonically delightful. If only it was as discrete as the Parsons mix, which it isn't by quite a bit.

If they put out a mix of The Wall in 5.1, none of us will buy it. We'll all be holding out for the one coming out the following year with Atmos and the old 5.1 included.
Sad news, I for one would be a sucker and buy a 5.1 copy of The Wall…even knowing there might be an Atmos release in another year. At my age it’s all about instant gratification. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please don’t tell PF though. I’d rather they just release an Atmos version. :D

If they put out a mix of The Wall in 5.1, none of us will buy it. We'll all be holding out for the one coming out the following year with Atmos and the old 5.1 included.
Not just that but I’ll want the white bricks to be neon pink and the text to be maybe lime green so it looks right on my shelf next to the new Animals double dip.

Drifting back on topic, yesterday I finally listened to several of my discs in actual Atmos thanks to the two ceiling speakers I just installed. The other two will go up once I get the mounting screws (FedEx says today!). I made this disc a priority.

I really enjoyed the mix. I couldn’t resist turning off the mains for stretches just to revel in the ceiling and rears. No, it isn’t as as adventurous as I might love, but one thing I’ve always liked about this album is that it has an emotional throughway and point of view, lyrically. As a result, I think where Pepper could benefit from a Yoshimi-level bonkers-ness, this album (which isn’t in my personal pantheon), this mix strikes a very good balance between austere and tastefully adventurous where appropriate.

As a bonus, I’ll say that I really liked their Atmos education and quasi-calibration feature. I love that they put front and center not only that Atmos is the default option but why it is. I wish other releases defaulted like that! Going through its screens, my mouth watered about adding those rear heights asap. If all goes well, I’m 5.1.4 by the weekend and 7.1.4 by summer. I have the hardware but the room itself needs work first.

In my decade-plus here, I’ve always abstained from voting because I’ve never had a space where I could really evaluate. That’s changed. Soon.

Not just that but I’ll want the white bricks to be neon pink and the text to be maybe lime green so it looks right on my shelf next to the new Animals double dip.

Drifting back on topic, yesterday I finally listened to several of my discs in actual Atmos thanks to the two ceiling speakers I just installed. The other two will go up once I get the mounting screws (FedEx says today!). I made this disc a priority.

I really enjoyed the mix. I couldn’t resist turning off the mains for stretches just to revel in the ceiling and rears. No, it isn’t as as adventurous as I might love, but one thing I’ve always liked about this album is that it has an emotional throughway and point of view, lyrically. As a result, I think where Pepper could benefit from a Yoshimi-level bonkers-ness, this album (which isn’t in my personal pantheon), this mix strikes a very good balance between austere and tastefully adventurous where appropriate.

As a bonus, I’ll say that I really liked their Atmos education and quasi-calibration feature. I love that they put front and center not only that Atmos is the default option but why it is. I wish other releases defaulted like that! Going through its screens, my mouth watered about adding those rear heights asap. If all goes well, I’m 5.1.4 by the weekend and 7.1.4 by summer. I have the hardware but the room itself needs work first.

In my decade-plus here, I’ve always abstained from voting because I’ve never had a space where I could really evaluate. That’s changed. Soon.
When you add those rear height speakers creating a 3D audio space you'll really hear Atmos as intended. This is a nice preview of things to come. Enjoy!

Alright, so we know Atmos is first and foremost a copy protection scheme. Force people to buy a whole-ass new receiver to play their new music by refusing to release the decoder to any software media player. (And only selling their reference player to corporate partners at present.) The nerdy addition of 4 channels being a very distant 2nd.

The original quad album is said to be responsible for putting surround systems into people's homes en masse. The mix is so far ahead of its time. Kind of a big deal.

This should be some end all be all remix to celebrate the new 12 channel format. It sounds subdued in fidelity and there's less sound in motion than the original stereo mix. Mixed for stereo ear bud listeners or soundbar listeners perhaps? Mighty insulting to the original mix (which is not included in this set - obviously) and insulting to anyone who hung 4 speakers from their ceiling hoping to hear something interesting for it. Complete rubbish novelty reissue.
I wonder if Dolby has a next 'plan' in place yet for in floor speakers too. Everything else is being shoved up our arses.. why not? May as well shoot for this too. Would be another brilliant move by Dolby and it's super spiffy, cool 'Atmost' name. Another smooth move by dolby to completely destroy (remove) physical media. Rental music programs over the net. Part of the plan from the start. You will own nothing..and LIKE it! Unbelievable.....

I wonder if Dolby has a next 'plan' in place yet for in floor speakers too. Everything else is being shoved up our arses.. why not? May as well shoot for this too. Would be another brilliant move by Dolby and it's super spiffy, cool 'Atmost' name.
Wow, what a negative view, what are you guys so angry about?
Nothings being shoved up anything, you either want and purchase it, or not.
I bought my Marantz 2440 quad adapter to mate with my 2270 receiver sometime around 1977
and loved listening to the quad LP's I purchased back then.
I've been extremely pleased with most of the advances in surround tech that's been offered to us
since then. DTS-CD, Multich SACD, DVD-A, BluRay, & all the rest have brought us ever better, more immersive listening experiences. Clarity, detail, FR, and all the rest have been big advances in SOTA music reproduction.
I bought my first Atmos capable Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro in 3-2018 and have loved most all of the Atmos recordings I purchased since. The tech and gear are awesome, the quality of the master is the determining factor in what comes out of our speakers.
I really don't get these rants, if you hate it that much why are you here? Don't buy into any of it and go play a round or two of golf instead. ;)

I wonder if Dolby has a next 'plan' in place yet for in floor speakers too. Everything else is being shoved up our arses.. why not? May as well shoot for this too. Would be another brilliant move by Dolby and it's super spiffy, cool 'Atmost' name. Another smooth move by dolby to completely destroy (remove) physical media. Rental music programs over the net. Part of the plan from the start. You will own nothing..and LIKE it! Unbelievable.....
You obviously don't understand how Atmos works. 🤔

Back