Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there's no reason therefore to hold on to the SACD, as that 5.1 mix is replicated on the new bluray?
For the Atmos box set of the album, someone found in this forum that the 5.1 mix was transferred in not the best way. (I think that's detailed at some point in this thread.)

So, there's question if the 5.1 mix on THIS new standalone release faces the same issue. I'd say, hold onto your SACD for now, at least until someone confirms whether or not that issue is present here, too.

My standalone blu-ray arrived today from Rarewaves. Listening to the stereo first for some reason, nice (y). I don't have Atmos, so I'll try the fold down 5.1 from that mix later.

The packaging is really nice. I'm bugged slightly that the lyrics are out of order in the booklet (not that I need to look at the lyrics!). For some reason the first 4 songs are after the others, as if they've printed the pages in the wrong order :confused:!

My standalone blu-ray arrived today from Rarewaves. Listening to the stereo first for some reason, nice (y). I don't have Atmos, so I'll try the fold down 5.1 from that mix later.

The packaging is really nice. I'm bugged slightly that the lyrics are out of order in the booklet (not that I need to look at the lyrics!). For some reason the first 4 songs are after the others, as if they've printed the pages in the wrong order :confused:!
I have a few albums like that, always throws me 🤬

I preordered from Amazon US in August and received a notice that my order would arrive Monday. But now that the order is live on their website if I place an order I can get “Free Delivery Saturday October 14. Order within 16hrs 40min”
Make it make sense! 😂
And I got an email saying it shipped... and will arrive November 7th. 🤨

I preordered from Amazon US in August and received a notice that my order would arrive Monday. But now that the order is live on their website if I place an order I can get “Free Delivery Saturday October 14. Order within 16hrs 40min”
Make it make sense! 😂
Same here. I ordered a second one to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll just cancel or return one. Perplexed as why this occurred. I’ll find out tomorrow.

This is the second Atmos disc I have (first is Wonder Woman) and the first with a channel ID test. I initially just listened to it on my 5.0 system playing the Atmos track as True HD since I thought that would give the best rendition. Audio quality is perfect, nothing I could fault. Mix is better than the previous 5.1 on the SACD so Guthrie has clearly learned something. But it all sounded a bit "in the middle".

Went to the Atmos channel ID and to my complete astonishment found that Left Front Height plays in 4 speakers, all except Right Front. Similarly Right Front Height plays in 4 speakers, all except Left Front. This is probably using Right/Left Surround rather than the Rears but on 5.0 I can't tell. Left Rear Height plays in both rears as does Right Rear Height. When I say something plays in a selection of speakers, they are not all at the same level they appear to be trying to produce a phantom image in the intended location. Maybe it would work on a 7.1 system but it doesn't on my 5.0, mostly because of both rear speakers playing sounds intended for the two front height channels, that completely mucks it up.

My amp is an Arcam AVR31 which can decode Atmos, but it wasn't showing that option to me for this soundtrack presumably because I have no height speakers. Messing about I found if I select Dolby Virtual it realises and selects Dolby Atmos and now Left Front Height goes to Left Front, Right Front Height goes to Right Front, Left Rear Height goes to Left Rear and Right Rear Height goes to Right Rear. None of the basic 7.1 channels were affected and still come out of where you'd expect them.

Played Dark Side Of The Moon again and this time it is more discrete and less "in the middle". My rear speakers are on wall brackets laid on their backs reflecting off the ceiling so have some height, and my floorstanding Castle Harlech main left/rights have an upwards firing woofer as well as forwards woofer/tweeter so also have some height. Anyway, I thought this was a more discrete and overall better presentation than just playing the 7.1 bed on my 5.0 system.

This may vary from disc to disc depending on the decisions taken when the bed is mixed. But it does show what may be missing or different when just playing the bed.

For me the lesson is if the disc has Atmos select Dolby Virtual decode which is ironic as it is intended for creating fake height on discs that don't have any height channels. And for discs without Atmos select TrueHD decode so it doesn't do anything stupid in Dolby Virtual trying to create height on a disc without any.

Make it make sense! 😂
I just noted the same thing after I went to check my order seeing that some here have already received theirs!

My copy is scheduled to arrive in about 10 days, my old receiver can only decode DD 5.1, anyone listened to the (probably preset) downmix of the TrueHD?

Kirk Bayne

Back