Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'm listening to surround in my professionally built home theatre with all the acoustic treatment,so ATMOS is always #1 to consider." Yup, something to 'consider' alright.. 🙃👍

Last edited:
Shipped! coming Thursday.. day early and off that day guess extra bucks worth it.. hope it comes packaged nicely.

Amazon uk wont ship to a usa business. Where Else to get?

I happened to listen to the ATMOS mix, and, although is not bad, AP's mix is still the foundation for me and its omission from the box set shows how much PF cares about their fans (una mierda pinchá en un palo), so here is my mierda back at them, they can stuff their overpriced, biased and revisionist box up their limey culos (and I mean no disrespect to English folks, I have many awesome English folk in my life)...
RW and DG "Brain Damage" indeed...

Mine actually arrived 2 days early. First listen - wow! It's a brand new experience.
Fantastic clarity and separation on Nick's drums. On The Run - the footsteps are present in the room and the synth pans sound positively electric. Perfect example of how the mix has been updated - Us v Them - In Quad the vocal echo ("Us...us...us...us") ping ponged from corner to corner. In Atmos, the echoes drift peacefully across the heights. Beautiful stuff.

just spinning the old BD in the Immersion set to refresh me lugholes with the 5.1 and Quad.. and very surprised/relieved it still loads up! i thought the BDs were all kaput by now!? 😅

IMG_7859.jpeg

unfortunately the Quad now only plays back in 2.0 on my new Denon (AVR-X2800H) whereas it was fine in 4.0 on my old Yamaha AVR. the BDP shows 4.0 but the Denon says 2.0! ahh.. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦‍♀️

IMG_7860.jpeg

IMG_7861.jpeg

oh well, better crank up the 'puter and check out the ripssss 😋✌️i can more readily compare the Quad and 5.1 to the Atmos that way too,
come to think of it! 💡🤓

just spinning the old BD in the Immersion set to refresh me lugholes with the 5.1 and Quad.. and very surprised/relieved it still loads up! i thought the BDs were all kaput by now!? 😅

View attachment 90348

unfortunately the Quad now only plays back in 2.0 on my new Denon (AVR-X2800H) whereas it was fine in 4.0 on my old Yamaha AVR. the BDP shows 4.0 but the Denon says 2.0! ahh.. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦‍♀️

View attachment 90349

View attachment 90350

oh well, better crank up the 'puter and check out the ripssss 😋✌️i can more readily compare the Quad and 5.1 to the Atmos that way too,
come to think of it! 💡🤓
'unfortunately the Quad now only plays back in 2.0'.... Although NOTHING is cheap anymore at all ( you know..build back better!) Used oppo players are not out of reach. But not the last produced 4k ones. Man! But if it is the receiver? I don't know..

'unfortunately the Quad now only plays back in 2.0'.... Although NOTHING is cheap anymore at all ( you know..build back better!) Used oppo players are not out of reach. But not the last produced 4k ones. Man! But if it is the receiver? I don't know..
ah! mais oui, Chief Inspector! 😆✌️ as it is i'm spinning the BD on my trusty ol' Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD (which is basically a clone of the corresponding Oppo of it's time, same chipset, transport, etc.) and it never had a problem with any 4.0 encoded discs until i hooked it up to this dreadful new Denon i'm just about to put my foot through! 😂😉

I have heard that is not the exact same one and that it is now...Geezz....I have enough problems with confusion after having bumped my stupid head the last few years. Twice. For real 🙃
I've been involved in the "it might be different" conversation.
My suspicion is we now have a gentler mastering.
My unscientific data points are the bombastic sections of Us and Them.
Cluttered, according to my memory of the original 5.1. Uncluttered now.

I've been involved in the "it might be different" conversation.
My suspicion is we now have a gentler mastering.
My unscientific data points are the bombastic sections of Us and Them.
Cluttered, according to my memory of the original 5.1. Uncluttered now.
Thanks Mike. I will keep an eye open for a stand alone. I do have both the other Surrounds sacd and immersion. May as well shoot for three? LOL Maybe someone with the box set could scan all of the technical stuff about the mixes, year mixed and who did them. In particular the 5.1 mix. Really appreciate it~ 🤝

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I will keep an eye open for a stand alone. I do have both the other Surrounds sacd and immersion. May as well shoot for three? LOL Maybe someone with the box set could scan all of the technical stuff about the mixes, year mixed and who did them. In particular the 5.1 mix. Really appreciate it~ 🤝
Eventually, someone might have ripped both. The files could be analyzed umpteen different ways, at that point.
I would, but just don't have that kind of time, at the moment.

Eventually, someone might have ripped both. The files could be analyzed umpteen different ways, at that point.
All good Mike. I was not supposed to have any time left last April so I'm very blessed regardless! You're always awesome in replies too ~ Just another good one of many in this outfit 👌

I have heard that is not the exact same one and that it is now...Geezz....I have enough problems with confusion after having bumped my stupid head the last few years. Twice. For real 🙃
I originally posted the thoughts below in the poll thread, but I am reposting it here to avoid a new conversation in a thread that it's meant for voting only. Apologies.
Here's my view:

I've ripped both discs and these are my impressions:
- the 5.1 mix is exactly the same.
- DR values are identical, but with different peak and RMS values. Seems a level shift, but there's more...
- Frequency response is 'almost' identical
- spectrograms confirm it's the same DSD master converted to PCM. But they are not the same. See the screenshot below.
- I tried to listen to the 'differences' with a null test, but the two transfers cannot be aligned; they run at slightly different speeds.
Conclusion: it's the same 5.1 mix, which has been re-transferred to PCM at a lower volume (1.5dB on average). Minor differences in speed etc. are to be expected. I couldn't notice any differences that can be heard, just differences that can be seen via analysis software.

Spectrogram comparison (On the Run 2011 Blu-ray disc, left; On the Run 2023 Blu-ray disc). The two tracks were level-matched before capturing this screenshot.
1680919924431.png

Panasonic Blu-ray players—at least the DP-UB820-K—will encapsulate 4.0 into 5.1/7.1 with silent C/LFE/backs over HDMI. If you don't need/want 7.1 analog RCA outs, you should be able to get the same result with the UB420. That would be a much cheaper solution than replacing an otherwise cromulent AVR.

Regardless, this discussion should be moved to another thread. Poll threads are for explaining votes only.

Back