Pioneer DV-47A-First Impressions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCunningham

I apologize for not getting this review up last night but I wanted a bit more time to play with the deck before writing it up.

General:

The first thing that you'll notice during unpacking of the unit is the size of the power cord. Diameter of the cord would match that of a very heavy duty outside extension cord. This has to be the heaviest cord I've ever seen on an electrical device.

Second,is the weight of the unit. I expected the unit to be a little heavier considering the cost of the unit. It weighs in at around 9-10 pounds.

I can almost guarantee that you'll have to open the manual at least to find out how to navigate the different settings in the menu system. There are a number of items that are set to default that I'm sure you'll want to change. For example, the deck is set to downmix all multichannel streams to stereo until you change it.

This unit has both DTS and DD decoders built in and they are on by default. If you prefer to have your receiver do the decoding, you have to set the unit to pass the DTS stream direct. The setup is very easy to do if you just step through all of the items one at a time.

TOC read times are extremely fast (See times in individual sections below). One of the biggest complaints with DVD-A has been the necessity to have your tv on to navigate the menus to start disc play. This is not a problem with this unit. Pop in the disc, let it read the TOC and wait for the word Menu to appear on the display, hit Enter, the display will flash. Hit Enter again and the disc will launch. I played a number of titles over the weekend and it worked on everyone I tried. By the third disc, I turned off the TV and never turned it back on again. Interestingly, Fleetwood Mac-Rumours is self launching. That's the only one I've discovered that does it so far, but I have lots of discs to try yet.

Bass Management, Speaker Distance and Speaker Gain:

Although this wasn't mentioned in pre-release info, all are available. Bass management is minimal and only allows you to set speaker size for the center and surround speakers only, the fronts are locked at Large and can't be changed. There is no option for setting crossover points. This wasn't a problem for me as all my speakers are full range. Speaker distance range is 0.3m-9m and is adjusted in 0.1m increments. Volume gain range is + or - 6db in steps of 0.5db.

DVD-Audio:

When I first heard dvd-a on my JVC, I was very impressed. I can honestly say that playback on this unit impressed me even more. Although all formats sound good, dvd-a is where this player really excels. I was enjoying the playback so much, that I had to force myself to move on to try the other formats. TOC reads amazed me at a consistent 5-6 seconds.

Redbook CD:

I'm sure that there are a number of highend players that can top redbook playback, however, for a multi format player, this unit holds it's own very well. I listened to a number of cd's and was very satisfied with the sound. Being as how I'm spoiled by surround music and I normally don't listen to much stereo playback, I might be a bit biased here. TOC reads at 7-8 seconds.

SACD:

Being as this is the first time I've been able to listen to SACD, I wasn't sure what to expect. Nobody that I know personally has an SACD player, and the couple of local retail stores that carry them, don't have them hooked up to listen to. Because of this, I have nothing to compare playback against. I can say, that I'm more than pleased with what I'm hearing from this player. SACD seems to be a bit softer on playback than DVD-A. (Like listening to a recording with just a tad to much noise reduction applied.) Listening to classic rock like Aerosmith, the sound seems slightly muted when compared to DVD-A. When listening to more subdued music like James Taylor, the sound is exceptional. I also liked both of the Billy Joel multichannel releases although The Stranger was the better of the two. TOC reads at 9-10 seconds. (This was the slowest of all the formats, but at 10 seconds, blows the doors off of the TOC read times of Sony's own SACD players, some of which have been reported at 1-2 minutes. As a final note, it has been confirmed from Pioneer themselves that the DSD stream is NOT converted to PCM for output, but is output direct, something that was berated on the top end Pioneer DV-AX10.

DTS CDR:

This was probably one of the biggest surprises for playback quality. I played a number of Tab's conversions and although they've always sounded good on my other dvd player, I was totally unprepared for how great they sounded through this unit. I had a tough time believing that I was listening to a 2nd generation recording. Pink Floyd-DSOTH just totally blew me away as did Chicago IX and the Moody Blues-Threshold Of A Dream. These just have to be heard to be believed. TOC reads at 7-8 seconds.

DVD-V

This is the one area that I didn't get much chance to check out. I only managed to play a couple of movies. Next to DVD-A, this is probably the second strongest point of this unit. I have yet to set up the picture with my Video Essentials disc (I'll get to it this weekend). Even so, straight out of the box, the picture is exceptional. Colors and contrast look very good, and picture is unbelievably clear and very sharp. I have yet to see the Chroma Bug raise it's ugly head, something that was readily apparent on both of my other players.

Final Thoughts:

After two complete days of playing with this unit, I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier with the results. This unit played everything I threw at it (including a couple of Video cd's) and didn't hiccup even once. The only fault I could find was the weight of the unit, but considering that it performed so well, it's a fault I can overlook.

Bottom line is that I can honestly recommend the DV-47A to anyone looking for a truly universal player. In addition, I can answer the question, knowing what I know now about the player, would I still buy it? Absolutely!

Mary: Excellent and thoughtful review. Will this unit reliably play music formatted CDR, basic CD, and MP3 CDs? Please also advise where this unit can be purchased. Thanks,

First of all, it's Mike, not Mary? As noted in my review, this unit plays everything. Sorry but I can't give you any info on mp3's as I don't waste my time with them. If I want to listen to compressed lo-rez music, I turn on the radio. As for availability, they're already turning up on ebay, but a word of caution. When buying from a non authorized Pioneer dealer, you run the risk of Pioneer not honoring the warranty should you ever need it. In addition, Pioneer authorized dealers are not necessarily Pioneer Elite authorized dealers. Even Pioneer Elite authorized dealers are not allowed to sell Elite products via mail order as it's against their license with Pioneer. I know that One Call and J&R both have it in stock but you won't find it on their website because of the aforementioned license agreement. If you're interested, I suggest that you go to the Pioneer website and do a dealer locator search for authorized dealers near you, then do some calling around to find someone who carries the Elite products. Expect to pay in the $850.00-$1000.00 range for it. Below is the Pioneer webpage link to the DV-47A. The dealer locator is at the top right side of the page. Good luck.

Pioneer Website

Mike: Thanks for the assistance. Sorry about the incorrect salutation. Tweeter, Etc. will be selling the DV-47A for $1000. Ebay activity on these seems to be in the $800 range Quite possibly the unit will drop to the $500-600 range after the dust settles?

You can always expect price drops on products that have been out awhile, just depends on the popularity of the product. Right now, the DV-47A is the only reliable truly universal player on the market, so I don't expect prices to drop for awhile. I've heard that both Marantz and Toshiba will have true universal machines out in the next few months. No price on the Toshiba yet, but the Marantz is expected to be in the $1800.00 range. Also, it seems that Pioneer also has an even higher end universal player in the works for release later this year. Early word is that it will be in the $3000.00 price range. Of course, I'll keep everyone informed as I get more info.

Unit spec's on the Pioneer site and some dealers indicate that DTS is output only... no onboard decoding?? That would apparently mean that an amplifier with an onboard decoder is required. I am using multiple vintage amps (to provide 5.1 channels) that, of course, do not have onboard DTS decoding. Comments/recommend solution would be appreciated... thank you.

Instead of continually beating yourself up trying to find a unit that does everything including washing the dishes, why not go with an outboard DTS decoder?

Hello to all.

I understand that this and presumably all universal players to come convert the DSD bits into PCM for output.

"True" SACD players do not.

Sorry, but you understand wrong. The previous Pioneer DV-AX10 and the Apex 7701 both converted DSD stream to PCM for output. This deck does not. It passes the DSD stream direct, unaltered as will the upcoming Pioneer DV-49A. It uses the same Sony chip that most of Sony's own players do.

At CES in January, the Pioneer folks told me that the 47A would not have a DSD->PCM conversion as their prior player did.

On the other hand, most of the reviews to date have not been kind to the SACD playback of the 47A player. So it appears that Pioneer needs to do more work on their SACD playback section.

Maybe they'll get it right in next year's model !

Finding info is very tough at this point in time as Pioneer is not saying anything. The bits of info I've seen to date are pretty much guesswork at best. I'd prefer to see something from Pioneer before reporting on it. The only thing I've seen on it appeared as a post in couple of other forums and the info supposedly came from a Pioneer rep. For now, take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Now, what I'd really like is a combo unit that plays all formats and includes a slide-out tray for 45 RPM records.

How come some DVD/SACD players output digital then? What is the big deal as long as the bit stream is encrypted?

Pioneer is going to go with a dvd-a digital via fire wire. I'm not sure about SACD as far as digital out , I did here of some super high end with dsd possibly also but It will be a propriatory DSD system , but don't get your hopes up for anything very soon! They won't let you record via digital in either case, but It'll be gotten around sooner or later!

Back