Pioneer DV-47A-First Impressions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This player mutes digital on ALL SACD and digitally outputs a 2-channel downmix only on ALL DVD-A's. Why doesn't this player output 5.1 AC-3 on DVD-A's? It will output AC-3 on DVD-V's. Is this standard operating procedure for most DVD-A decks? I don't understand why AC-3 is muted on DVD-A's....

>>Pioneer is going to go with a dvd-a digital via fire wire. I'm not sure about SACD as far as digital out , I did here of some super high end with dsd possibly also but It will be a propriatory DSD system , but don't get your hopes up for anything very soon! They won't let you record via digital in either case, but It'll be gotten around sooner or later! <<

Both systems (SACD and DVD-A) have defined 1394 Fire Wire protocols for digital output in consumer players. The sticking point has - and remains - getting sign off from the record and video companies on a secure, encryption method.

So we'll continue to see proprietary connections or analog outputs until then.

Interestingly, some high end audio firms I've talked with are not at all fans of the 1394 Firewire idea for SACD and DVD-A calling it too prone to jitter problems. As a result, I suspect some of them may take a pass on a Firewire digital output - even if one is agreed to by all parties !

Quote: "Both systems (SACD and DVD-A) have defined 1394 Fire Wire protocols for digital output in consumer players. The sticking point has - and remains - getting sign off from the record and video companies on a secure, encryption method."

I understand that the high resolution will not be made available via the digital output until encrypted firewire, but why not AC-3 versions of the surround mix in the case of DVD-A? What is the concern of copying compressed AC-3? Are the AC-3 mixes of DVD-A's available via the digital outputs of DVD-V players like normal DVD-V software?

AC-3? Are the AC-3 mixes of DVD-A's available via the digital outputs of DVD-V players like normal DVD-V software?

If I'm understanding what you are asking, Yes ac/3 and d.t.s. are output via digital in DVD-A and DVD-v. I have run into a problem with my JVC not letting me access the ac/3 and the d.t.s. thou ! But only on some discs. I'll have to go back and look into this further and report back my findings! :rolleyes:
If you play the DVD-A in a DVD-V machine you will get the ac/3 or d.t.s. via digital output! But not the M.L.P. Hi-Rez. 192 /24 stereo or 96 /24 surround!

Well, the manual for the DV-47a states on page 43 that

SACD 5.1 channel and 2-channel is muted via SPDIF

DVD-A 2-channel downmix ONLY is available via SPDIF (unless DVD-A prohibits or does not contain downmix)

In addition I have not been able to get the AC-3/DTS tracks of ANY DVD-A disc to pass to my decoder. The only digital signal is a 2-channel PCM (downmix)

Has anyone different experience with this unit and DVD-A's???

Mike,

Just curious. I also own the 47A. In the speaker set-up menu for speaker distances, does yours read out in meters? My reads out in feet and is adjustable to one half foot increments.

Regarding upcoming Elite units I have not heard of the 49A. I have seen information on several sites regarding the 47i which will feature a "fire wire" connection to mate digitally to their newest flagship receiver.

Additionally I have seen information on the 45A which will be a reduced price "universal" player listing at $750. I paid $899.00 for my DV47A at Ultimate Electronics. Generally I am very satisfied and happy to be able to play all the new formats.

I think as you watch the video more on this unit you will be very pleased. I was suprised how it outperformed my Sony DVD on video.

I am a little disappointed in the fact that on two channel SACD that the Sub is muted. You'll see this in your owner's manual. This may be one of the reasons for the fixed Large setting for the front L/R speakers.

Finally, I have concern with both audio and video adjustment being done by the source unit (47a) and the processing unit (preamp and tv). I chose to leave the gains on the DV47a set at 0 and make my adjustments through my pre-amp. Likewises, I am hesitant to make video adjustments at the 47a and then have further filtering (adjustments) done at the tv itself. I would like to defeat one or the other video calibrations but can not see how to do it on my Toshiba 56" TV (older model) or the Pioneer 47a.

Enjoy and Thanks

I am a little disappointed in the fact that on two channel SACD that the Sub is muted. You'll see this in your owner's manual. This may be one of the reasons for the fixed Large setting for the front L/R speakers.[quote/]

This makes perfect sence, "IT'S STEREO!"- Not 2.1 ! :rolleyes:
I think it could be done, but why change a hi rez stereo mix just make a hi rez 2.1, but then again do we really need it ? :eek:

Mike,

Yes, my settings are in meters as I indicated in my original writeup. I'm using all full range speakers on my systems so I don't have a sub connected although as indicated by Allaroundsurround I'm not sure why you'd use the sub when listening to a stereo source anyway. I've been using this player now for over 5 months on a daily basis and can't even begin to determine how many hours I have on it. SACD playback, which was probably the only weak point of the player when I first got it has improved dramatically since then. My SACD's now sound every bit as good as any of my DVD-A's. Obviously, just needed time for burn-in like so many of the stand alone SACD players do.

Allaround,

I perfectly understand that this is not a LFE (or .1) if you prefer. Have you never run a subwoofer with a stereo set up before? If your speakers are not full range then a sub happens to be a nice little adder for low frequency to your overall sound.

That is what i fist thought you meant , but as I read I thought you meant a dedicated .1 . In the end they both have the same effect but one is recorded the other is derived . The 192khz is to big a file size to allow a .1 so nix to that Idea, It may be possible through bass mgmt to do it !

MCunningham or anyone who has owned a DV47a for several months.

Now that you have had this unit for quite some tome what further insights might you share, both positive and negative?

Thanks for the input.

The owner's manual states that only the sister DV-S733A (not the 47) plays DVD-R and DVD-RW. The manual also states that neither can play DVD-RAM or DVD-ROM (no mention of DVD+RW).

Has anyone tried any of these discs in the 47A/47Ai (my old CD players played CD-Rs, so maybe it's possible)?

Back