Poll: What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

• Total voters
It becomes an issue when the mixer tries to smoothly pan over a side of the room, where the sounds from different speakers mainly reach to one single human ear (if we don't turn our heads).
It might become audible, maybe even bothersome to some but I would still consider it to be largely a non-issue. In the case of quad simply by moving the rear speakers more to the sides there is no real cogging effect that I notice.

The same idea holds for 7.1, simply move the side and rear speakers a bit farther forward to reduce the "cogging". Other than gimmicky effects with music and perhaps sound effects in movies I don't think that it is really worth worrying about!

All of my speakers are the same, Mordaunt short Genie’s, in a 5.1.2 system and it sounds amazing, if I ever get the opportunity to move to 5.1.4 i’d be looking for another pair of the same, I bought them 2nd hand but they’re the best (and most expensive new) i’ve ever had
I have an all Martin-Logan electrostatic 7.1 system, but auditioning the very expensive M-L ceiling speaker options left me unimpressed. I ended up getting 4 Micca M-8C round ceiling speakers with concentric moveable tweeters and have never regretted it. Upgrading to 7.1.4 was probably the most impactful upgrade I've made to my system in a very long time. The Micca's actually sound pretty good on their own and I've never had any issues with "blending" the ceiling speakers with the rest of the system.

"I agree with Sonic, go to an Atmos equipped movie theatre or as HomerJAU suggested find a QQ member close to you with an Atmos setup. I would think that you should be able to find a dealer that is willing to at least demonstrate a sound bar!" This cracked me up... everything's just down the street..😅
Down the street? More like 50 miles away. Two of our three remaining theaters are drive-in. The sound comes in on FM radio. The third barely has stereo. We used to have a large number of audio dealers. They all went out of business.

If any Atmos-curious members of the group find themselves in Southern Ontario (an hour outside of Toronto, ON Canada), I'd be happy to host an extended Atmos listening demo in a modestly sized but well appointed, dedicated room.

Happy New Year!

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

Down the street? More like 50 miles away. Two of our three remaining theaters are drive-in. The sound comes in on FM radio. The third barely has stereo. We used to have a large number of audio dealers. They all went out of business.
Well then. Quit bitching about what everyone else has. We can only do so much for you in suggestions.

Last edited:
I am wondering did you install your acoustic treatments in increments?
The reason I ask, I installed GIK Acoustic, Bass (2) Traps, side acoustic (5) absorbers, and rear acoustic (4) diffusers.
I did all of that, then turned on the machine and Holy Cow, was an immediate BIG BETTER sound, way more than anything I had done previous while building my rig.
Back to your cloud, when I last communicated with GIK Acoustics, telling them how happy I was and would they offer any extra advice, they said, you may want to put a ceiling absorber over your listening area, that would be in-between my two front and two rear ceiling speakers.
I never did, that's why I ask you the question.
I did the bass traps first with some wall absorption mostly from GIK too. I added some absorber/diffusors later on the back wall and in the front top corners. The big pic with the mic and speaker I did myself and had it printed on canvas. It's got two 2' x 4' 4" panels mounted in a frame with the canvas stretched over it. The cloud is basically the same thing with no canvas. It really did make a nice addition and I'm not gonna lie, I also did it because it looks cool.

Attachments

• Wall treatments large.jpg
    Wall treatments large.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I did the bass traps first with some wall absorption mostly from GIK too. I added some absorber/diffusors later on the back wall and in the front top corners. The big pic with the mic and speaker I did myself and had it printed on canvas. It's got two 2' x 4' 4" panels mounted in a frame with the canvas stretched over it. The cloud is basically the same thing with no canvas. It really did make a nice addition and I'm not gonna lie, I also did it because it looks cool.
Awesome, I did same with GIK, my wall side absorbers are pictures on canvas, I just used what they had to offer, kind of a custom California landscapes. Except I did one beach and a coconut tree :ROFLMAO:, my wife said why the heck did you do that, I said I like Hawaii.

Atmos does not handle that.
It is the AVR processor which handles that.

It reads the 5.1/7.1 substream, if the AVR does not support Atmos.

If there is no Center speaker, it's Channel is 'merged' into FL, FR.

If there are not Rear Surrounds, those channels are 'merged' into the Side Surrounds of 5.1

If there is no LFE SUB, then the LFE Channel is 'merged' into FL,FR and, possibly, also into Surrounds, as my DENON does.

In summary, It is near like playing 5.1
Right, of course the processor (AVR) handles that... but my point is how are these variances calculated. I absolutely can say that a phantom center channel sounds very different than an actual center channel as an example. Likewise, I really wouldn't want the processor to send the LFE to all floor channels. Finally, all of this is going to sound very different based on the actual Atmos mix created, typically either 7.1.4 or 9.1.6. Just my two cents.

Sure. Center image sounds wide. Actually, the sound is coming from a Big Wide space from the Fronts. We have been so used to that, listening to stereo, that when mixing vocals only to the Center Channel (influenced by films dialogue?) It sounds so isolated that I don't like. On the other hand, isolated sounds in Center Channel, for Effects or particular instruments, enhance the surround, for some mixes.

With respect to LFE directed to the Quad Fronts and Surrounds (sides), I think it is a very good solution. If you don't have SUB, the bass is more EQ evenly distributed across the room, in a similar way than when you install 4 corner SUBs. I am currently experimenting this, as my SUB is Broken, didn't replace it, all Speakers Full LARGE, and I don't get the peak/valley of the boomy bass sound that I had before walking around the room outside the MLP.
Enough for music. Short for boomy film explossions ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back