Porcupine Tree Chicago 10/11 & 10/12, 2005

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
For those interested in what songs Porcupine Tree's upcoming DVD video release will contain, I have for you the setlists from both nights that were filmed at the Park West in Chicago. I went to both shows and actually kept a running list of the songs played.

October 11, 2005

1. Intro
2. Open Car
3. Blackest Eyes
4. Hate Song
5. Don't Hate Me
6. Mother And Child Divided
7. Buying New Soul
8. So Called Friend
9. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
10. Heartattack In a Layby
11. Start of Something Beautiful
12. Halo

Encore

13. The Sound of Muzak
14. Radioactive Toy
15. Trains

The band seemed nervous at first and the first song "Open Car" seemed a bit stiff. Before long, the band got into their groove and it was pure bliss from then on.

They did a great version of "Trains" all the way up until what seems to be the end of the song, only to come back with the hand-clapping acoustic guitar part. As Steve Wilson struck that first chord, he broke a string. A new guitar was strapped on him, he asked the crowd where he was standing, and completed the song.

Before the show, I asked the soundman about the 5.1 surround setup that dts entertainment was supposed to provide for the tour. "Don't get me started" he said rolling his eyes. I didn't want to bother him, but had to know what he meant by that. "So are you against it or for it?" I asked. "I'm having enough trouble keeping left and right working" was his reply. "I understand" I said nodding and left it at that, recognizing that he had more pressing concerns than chatting with me.

October 12, 2005

1. Revenant (Intro)
2. Deadwing
3. Lazarus
4. Even Less
5. Halo
6. Gravity Eyelids
7. Open Car
8. Don't Hate Me
9. So Called Friend
10. Mellotron Scratch
11. Mother And Child Divided
12. Hate Song
13. Strip the Soul

Encore

14. She's Moved On
15. Radioactive Toy

Another great show from start to finish. No nerve problems here. Before "Open Car" SW said they were a bit "excited" at the beginning of the previous night's show, and that they wanted to do the song again because they think they could do it better. He was right.

According to touring bandmember John Wesley Harding---with whom I had a few words after the show---the DVD is expected to come out sometime in April of next year.

I can't wait. We can only hope Elliot Scheiner is commissioned to mix it.

Thanks for anticipating my need of a detailed report since I couldn't at these gigs. Seems like they did the "main" set on the second night and experimented somewhat on the first. My son's favorite track is Open Car so he'd approve, but I find it odd not to include Shallow or Glass Arm Shattering. Missed these at the June show as well. G.A.S. replaced So Called Friend (and Half Light) on the final album sequence but they played S.C.F. TWICE.

John Wesley is a nice soul; chatted with him and he signed my In Absentia CD booklet after the Shank Hall gig in 2002. Everybody else was on the bus and ready to leave town, he hung out for the faithful a little longer.

Methinks the 5.1 sound system idea collapsed under the weight of it's own requirements; DTS is very good at announcements but not on follow-through. Maybe the full story will emerge at some point....

According to touring bandmember John Wesley Harding---with whom I had a few words after the show........

OOPS! :eek: After re-reading this, I realize that I called him by the wrong name. It's just "John Wesley" (there's no "Harding") :eek: Sorry 'bout that.

Back