Porcupine Tree - new live Blu-Ray coming later this year!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the LA show. It wasn't a sellout, so not sure if you were only going to go if seats were a certain number of rows back or closer, but there were definitely seats available less than a month prior.

Great show fwiw. The venue (Greek Theater) was really nice, too. I'll probably get the bluray just to be completist.
Well then, I must correct myself. Rather than ticket availability and price, my reason for not going was probably being overwhelmed with the requirements of moving. Thanks for clearing up some of the blur in my memory.

I was at the first show in Toronto, was so cool to see Steven so candid about first show mistakes, stopping songs to point out what had just gone wrong and then getting it right (video screen, etc).

Would absolutely love to see him do a real surround mix for this one like ES did with the Eagles and NIN Blu-rays or even include both immersive and venue-ambiance options like Bruce Soord did with Where We Stood. An immersive Atmos live mix, that could be very cool. I expect standard concert mixes, but one can dream.

Would absolutely love to see him do a real surround mix for this one like ES did with the Eagles and NIN Blu-rays or even include both immersive and venue-ambiance options like Bruce Soord did with Where We Stood. An immersive Atmos live mix, that could be very cool. I expect standard concert mixes, but one can dream.
All his past concert Blu-Rays (Arriving Somewhere, Anesthetize, Get All You Deserve, Home Invasion) had 'real' 5.1 mixes with more than just concert ambience in the rears, I expect this one will be no different.

All his past concert Blu-Rays (Arriving Somewhere, Anesthetize, Get All You Deserve, Home Invasion) had 'real' 5.1 mixes with more than just concert ambience in the rears, I expect this one will be no different.

I have all of them and I've never noticed effects in the rears like I do with The Eagles Melbourne, NIN Beside You In Time and TPT Where We Stood. I'll have to line up Vermillioncore from Home Invasion again soon and give it another go. I remember watching Pariah to see how it might compare as that one really stood out in quadraphonic when I saw him live in 2018, the co-vocals were very noticeably mixed from the rears and I wanted to see if it was similarly mixed on the Blu-ray...I recall being very disappointed.

From Anil Prasad's latest Innerviews piece:
What can you tell me about the forthcoming Porcupine Tree live album?

We recorded the Amsterdam Ziggo Dome show from last November. It was very beautifully filmed and mixed. It was one of the biggest shows with about 12,000 people. It was a great night, and it’s a complete document of this period of the band. There will be a five-LP box set of the audio and a Blu-Ray. There might be a deluxe CD and Blu-Ray box set as well.

One of the things I’ve enjoyed most about this phase of Porcupine Tree is that in some respects, I’m not at the center of everything, and things actually happen without me. I’ve been able to let Richard Barbieri and Gavin Harrison take control of certain things, like working on this release. I’ve mixed the audio and approved the visual cut. It should be out at the beginning of 2024.

Set list:

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/porcupine-tree-dbcfc875-fa9f-42ed-a484-a0a4d37f7272
Edit: slow to refresh so here it is:

Porcupine Tree setlist:
  1. Even Less / Stupid Dream intro
  2. Blackest Eyes
  3. Harridan
  4. Of the New Day
  5. Rats Return
  6. Even Less
  7. Drown With Me
  8. Dignity
  9. The Sound of Muzak
  10. Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled
  11. Chimera's Wreck
  12. Fear of a Blank Planet / Sentimental intro
  13. Fear of a Blank Planet
  14. Buying New Soul
  15. Walk the Plank
  16. Sentimental
  17. Herd Culling
  18. Anesthetize
  19. I Drive the Hearse
  20. Sleep Together
  21. Collapse the Light Into Earth
  22. Halo
  23. Trains

OK, I'm posting here only to get updates on when this new Atmos release finally gets released!

Does anyone know if this new mix is of older Wilson (studio) material or is it from the recent concert?

It’s a live concert Blu-ray that was recorded in Amsterdam featuring both old and new Porcupine Tree songs.
Thanks. So the older Porcupine Tree songs will be from new recordings along of course with the newer songs from the same concert.

Since these are from live recordings, I wonder if the Atmos will only be used to open up the sound stage rather than placing interments above with movement with other cool effects? I guess that will depend on how the concerts were recorded and what SW want's to present to us. I'm guessing we won't know till it's released.

I would think at least the best case scenario would be using high quality studio recordings but who knows, maybe a lot of care was taken in recording this live concert with a Atmos release in mind. That to me would be at least a 2nd best case scenario.

Thanks. So the older Porcupine Tree songs will be from new recordings along of course with the newer songs from the same concert.

Since these are from live recordings, I wonder if the Atmos will only be used to open up the sound stage rather than placing interments above with movement with other cool effects? I guess that will depend on how the concerts were recorded and what SW want's to present to us. I'm guessing we won't know till it's released.

I would think at least the best case scenario would be using high quality studio recordings but who knows, maybe a lot of care was taken in recording this live concert with a Atmos release in mind. That to me would be at least a 2nd best case scenario.
You can count on SW for an immersive mix. Expect instruments all around.

You can count on SW for an immersive mix. Expect instruments all around.
Although I don't recall any surround use at the 2022 show in LA, I know that his solo show a long while back was in surround and that depending on venue supposedly PT shows will also have surround. Maybe this was such a venue, and there's an actual surround experience as heard when attending live. Or he'll jam instruments into the rear that weren't there live. Those are the two options, and neither IMO matter that much on a live recording where the focus is on the performance and audience energy, not immersion.

Why would you want studio recordings on a live concert release? Your post and questions are confusing. Are you familiar with concerts/live shows?

Although I don't recall any surround use at the 2022 show in LA, I know that his solo show a long while back was in surround and that depending on venue supposedly PT shows will also have surround. Maybe this was such a venue, and there's an actual surround experience as heard when attending live. Or he'll jam instruments into the rear that weren't there live. Those are the two options, and neither IMO matter that much on a live recording where the focus is on the performance and audience energy, not immersion.

There's many recording from the past that are 5.1 that give the sense of being at the concert because they used mics near the rear of the performance and put that audio in the rears. However, you can take a regular stereo record (CD etc) and set the processor to surround sound to get that same kind of result or concert hall setting or whatever with almost any regular stereo recording. Of course it won't be the true ambiance that was originally there during the performance but it is easy today to get that effect.

So I'm getting to the point I'd rather hear some cool mixes to get more of an experience with the surrounds and Atoms...not just for opening up the sound stage.

With my new and improved Atmos setup (tons better than my older Atmos setup) movies with very active Atmos mixes are now more of a involving experience rather than the usual watching a movie that has great sound. I'm now wanting that same experience with music...studio or live.

Why would you want studio recordings on a live concert release? Your post and questions are confusing. Are you familiar with concerts/live shows?

Your question is confusing. How do you get a studio recording from a live concert? Just so you know, I had no idea this new release was coming from a live performance. I just hope with this new release SW does some cool things with the Atmos...not just use it to open up the sound stage. Based from a recent post, it does seem he will do some interesting things with the Atmos channels so at least that's something.

What I really would like is for SW to release his older studio material (stuff I know) in Atmos. Based on articles I've read about SW, he's considering going back to his other releases and remixing them for Atmos...I was hoping this new release would have been that but it's not, so I have no idea what to expect from this new release.

Studio recordings by the way usually have better sound quality which is why I'd rather have studio recordings used as the source of a new release mixed in Atmos. Concerts sound cool and even good to very good but it's not the same as a studio mix...it's a concert.

Your question is confusing. How do you get a studio recording from a live concert? Just so you know, I had no idea this new release was coming from a live performance. I just hope with this new release SW does some cool things with the Atmos...not just use it to open up the sound stage. Based from a recent post, it does seem he will do some interesting things with the Atmos channels so at least that's something.

What I really would like is for SW to release his older studio material (stuff I know) in Atmos. Based on articles I've read about SW, he's considering going back to his other releases and remixing them for Atmos...I was hoping this new release would have been that but it's not, so I have no idea what to expect from this new release.

Studio recordings by the way usually have better sound quality which is why I'd rather have studio recordings used as the source of a new release mixed in Atmos. Concerts sound cool and even good to very good but it's not the same as a studio mix...it's a concert.
The thread title, content of the new release, and other discussion in this thread all revolve around "Porcupine Tree - new live Blu-Ray coming later this year!"

I'm not sure why you're still prattling on about studio recordings in atmos. Anyway, thanks for clarifying you were confused (or just not reading before typing).

I'm not sure why you're still prattling on about studio recordings in atmos.
Because of the articles I keep reading about him from Sound & Vision. SW is quoted as saying that he's thought of going back to his older work to remix it for Atmos (and I assume he's talking about his studio work, not his live stuff.) I hoped this was it, but it's not. And since it's not, I'll wait on the reviews rather than buying this blind.

I haven't seen any official specs on this live release yet, I don't recall any surround sound when I saw them in Denver last year, and also don't recall any mention of surround sound setups for the C/C tour. However, given the growing interest in Atmos mixes for nearly everything these days, I'd be surprised if SW didn't include an Atmos mix on this upcoming release. That means he'll need to get somewhat 'creative' with it - a task he's more than up to. (y)

Because of the articles I keep reading about him from Sound & Vision. SW is quoted as saying that he's thought of going back to his older work to remix it for Atmos (and I assume he's talking about his studio work, not his live stuff.) I hoped this was it, but it's not. And since it's not, I'll wait on the reviews rather than buying this blind.
To get a taste of what this concert release will be like check out his previous live releases. Home Invasion, Anesthetize, or Arriving Somewhere.

Back