Porcupine Tree - new live Blu-Ray coming later this year!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. So the older Porcupine Tree songs will be from new recordings along of course with the newer songs from the same concert.

Since these are from live recordings, I wonder if the Atmos will only be used to open up the sound stage rather than placing interments above with movement with other cool effects? I guess that will depend on how the concerts were recorded and what SW want's to present to us. I'm guessing we won't know till it's released.

I would think at least the best case scenario would be using high quality studio recordings but who knows, maybe a lot of care was taken in recording this live concert with a Atmos release in mind. That to me would be at least a 2nd best case scenario.
It is from a live concert, why would it be best case or even make sense to use a studio recording? One doesn't really buy a concert to get a studio recording.

Reading through this thread has been very entertaining 🤪. It seems thebarnman is very interested in getting earlier PT recordings in Atmos (as are most of us, frankly), but doing so via a live concert recording simply does not compute. In addition, despite SW's enthusiasm for Atmos and his willingness to revisit 5.1 mixes he's done for other bands (Yes, King Crimson, etc.) and construct new Atmos mixes, to my knowledge he's never stated/announced any concrete intentions to revisit his own or PT's or no-man's earlier recordings and do the same. This could change of course, but I think Atmos reissues for earlier PT and SW solo titles are a long way off.

He did sort of announce a new Atmos mix of Storm Corrosion (with Mikael Åkerfeldt) but so far it has not materialized.

Even if the new PT live BD wil be offering "only" a5.1, it's a no-brainer for me. As GOS mentioned before: amazing shows, great sound and mix.

I've seen the PT/CC tour and the setlist & show was brilliant. We can expect a superb concert Blu-Ray in sound, mix and picture too. That's for sure.

Although I don't recall any surround use at the 2022 show in LA, I know that his solo show a long while back was in surround and that depending on venue supposedly PT shows will also have surround. Maybe this was such a venue, and there's an actual surround experience as heard when attending live. Or he'll jam instruments into the rear that weren't there live. Those are the two options, and neither IMO matter that much on a live recording where the focus is on the performance and audience energy, not immersion.
Last time I saw SW solo live, it was the TTB tour, and the concert was in Quad from what I could hear. Pretty cool effects, subtle but even more immersive.

It is from a live concert, why would it be best case or even make sense to use a studio recording? One doesn't really buy a concert to get a studio recording.

I never suggested that. I'm simply saying the sound quality from a studio recording is a better source than using a recording from a live concert. In particular, I'm talking about when SW remixes his older material.

Reading through this thread has been very entertaining 🤪. It seems thebarnman is very interested in getting earlier PT recordings in Atmos (as are most of us, frankly), but doing so via a live concert recording simply does not compute.

He did sort of announce a new Atmos mix of Storm Corrosion (with Mikael Åkerfeldt) but so far it has not materialized.

Yes, thank you; that's all I'm saying. Maybe he's so busy re-mixing everyone else's recordings he doesn't have time for his own!

Last time I saw SW solo live, it was the TTB tour, and the concert was in Quad from what I could hear. Pretty cool effects, subtle but even more immersive.
When I saw him at the Moore (medium-size indoor theatre) in Seattle on that tour, I'm pretty sure it was mono front, mono rear. (Live sound is usually mono so that everyone hears the same mix, mostly.)

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is meant for discussion of the upcoming PTCC live release, not technical aspects of Blu-Ray discs :)

When I saw the 2018 November show in quad they were definitely doing some L/R effects, Vermillioncore was pretty sweet. I stood by the sound booth and got a very good surround experience too, the prerecorded backing vocals in Pariah were one of my fave quad moments.

About this live release, here's an excerpt of the SW interview:

" We recorded the Amsterdam Ziggo Dome show from last November. It was very beautifully filmed and mixed. It was one of the biggest shows with about 12,000 people. It was a great night, and it’s a complete document of this period of the band. There will be a five-LP box set of the audio and a Blu-Ray. There might be a deluxe CD and Blu-Ray box set as well."

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/steven-wilson-5

When I saw him at the Moore (medium-size indoor theatre) in Seattle on that tour, I'm pretty sure it was mono front, mono rear. (Live sound is usually mono so that everyone hears the same mix, mostly.)
You may be right, from what I remember it was slightly stereo front (possibly just a trick of the acoustics though) and probably mono back. So yeah not "Quad", got a bit hyperbolic there. At the least the front and back were different that's for sure. It might depend on the venue?

Back