Power Switch: Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblindsey

Rock Chalk
QQ Supporter
I ordered a Sony SQD-2020 off of eBay, and unfortunately, the power switch was damaged in shipping. The seller made it right, and now I'm trying to source a power switch (or fix the old one). Thing is, I can't find it. I think I've found the part number, but searching for that has turned out to be a dead end. Honestly, I've never a seen a switch like this before, and while I don't see any extra pieces rolling around inside of the unit, I feel like I'm probably missing some parts of it. Can anyone suggest a path forward? That could be repairing this one, if possible, or dropping in a replacement. I'm not concerned about having a "museum piece", just a decoder that works. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
With only two terminals connected (including the capacitor), it is a single pole/single throw toggle switch. I suspect that any one that will fit case and slot and handles local line voltage will work. It also look like it might even be repairable with careful re-assembly.

With only two terminals connected (including the capacitor), it is a single pole/single throw toggle switch. I suspect that any one that will fit case and slot and handles local line voltage will work. It also look like it might even be repairable with careful re-assembly.
You have a good point. There are two things that baffle me about this switch, though:

1) It looks like there was a "pin" that the switch lever would have pivoted on;
2) Maybe there were some sort of leads/contacts, and maybe a spring, inside this thing pointing down out of the two holes in the plastic on the bottom of the lever itself? Otherwise, I just don't see how anything on that lever would have made anything come into contact with the metal contacts in the bottom of the brown plastic switch case.

I've never seen one of these on the inside, so I don't know what I might be missing. And, I don't see/hear any extra parts rolling around inside.

(hopefully, this switch will be the least of my problems in this repair - heh)

Best,
Michael

If you can't find a replacement you could simply remove the switch. Connect the two wires together, crimping would be the easiest. Or solder the wires and cover the splice with heat shrink. A much better (and safer) idea than simply twisting the wires together and taping. Power the unit from an accessory outlet on your amplifier or receiver.

Last edited:
It looks like a little rocker or slider that makes contact with one set of contacts or the other is missing, in addition to a pin to hold the switch lever.

I think Sony used that type of switch on several components - amps, receivers, tuners - in the 70's. You might search for "junk" or 'for parts, not working' items on Ebay and get something cheap or check thrift stores. I was able to do that to replace a switch (not the power switch) on my Sony SQE-2000 SQ encoder.

I've never seen one of these on the inside, so I don't know what I might be missing. And, I don't see/hear any extra parts rolling around inside.
Yes. Unfortunately, if those parts have, somehow, fallen out of the chassis, there's no point to trying to repair the switch. Suggestions to simply bypass it make sense and that can certainly be a stop-gap solution until you find a suitable switch.

Well @The Bushmaster , the switch actually works perfectly! I've got power, the lights in the meters light up, and I'll call that "success".

Now the embarrassing part, as I wasn't going to "say uncle" yet, but I probably should. I'm not sure I'm connecting this thing correctly to my current system. For CD-4 playback, I have the following: Turntable -> JVC 4-DD5 -> JVC 4VN-990 integrated amp -> speakers. That works great.

I've downloaded the Sony SQD-2020 user manual and followed the instructions for connecting it to my current system (using the tape in/out approach), and while I think I have it correct, there is no sound and no movement on the Sony SQD-2020 meters.

Other than that, I've randomly tried a few things:

- Using the 2CH direct out on the 4-DD5 (toggling switch on back) and connecting it to 2CH AUX2 on the 4VN-990 (CD-4 is using 4CH AUX1).
- Bypassing the 4-DD5 and connecting my turntable directly to the Phono in on the 4VN-990.
- Using the two pair of "outs" on the Sony SQD-2020 to the 4CH AUX2 in's on the JVC 4VN-990
- Randomly tried setting almost every damn button, selector, etc on each unit to try to get sound out of frustration.

So, I'm at an impasse and walked away for a minute to think this through. After reading the JVC 4VN-990 manual, specifically the page with the table titled "Operation Chart", I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to use both the SQD-2020 and the 4-DD5 with the 4VN-990 at the same time. I'lll take any advice that comes to mind for anyone that reads this. Thanks!

(This has to be simple. I feel like I'm trying to set the clock on a VCR - AND I actually have the instruction manual in my hand. I'm going to try to attach a few pages of the 4VN-990 manual here as the "Function Switch" and "Source Switch" were not intuitive to me at first.)

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• JVC-4vn-990.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 0
If there is no sound or meter movement the first consideration is the Sony requires an line level RIAA pre-amplification from a TT. On the 4-DD5 I don't know if 2 ch direct out would do that, or just couple the catridge output straight through. Since CD-4 decoders default to stereo when a non-CD-4 disc is played, try hooking the front left/right outputs to the 2020 & check it out.

Two channel direct out requires a pre-amp between the 4-DD5 and the phono input of the amp. The 4-DD5 only has a pre-amp for CD-4 play back. If you still have my photos that I sent you, you will notice a small pre-amp next to the 4-DD5.

Well @The Bushmaster , the switch actually works perfectly! I've got power, the lights in the meters light up, and I'll call that "success".

Now the embarrassing part, as I wasn't going to "say uncle" yet, but I probably should. I'm not sure I'm connecting this thing correctly to my current system. For CD-4 playback, I have the following: Turntable -> JVC 4-DD5 -> JVC 4VN-990 integrated amp -> speakers. That works great.

I've downloaded the Sony SQD-2020 user manual and followed the instructions for connecting it to my current system (using the tape in/out approach), and while I think I have it correct, there is no sound and no movement on the Sony SQD-2020 meters.

Other than that, I've randomly tried a few things:

- Using the 2CH direct out on the 4-DD5 (toggling switch on back) and connecting it to 2CH AUX2 on the 4VN-990 (CD-4 is using 4CH AUX1).
- Bypassing the 4-DD5 and connecting my turntable directly to the Phono in on the 4VN-990.
- Using the two pair of "outs" on the Sony SQD-2020 to the 4CH AUX2 in's on the JVC 4VN-990
- Randomly tried setting almost every damn button, selector, etc on each unit to try to get sound out of frustration.

So, I'm at an impasse and walked away for a minute to think this through. After reading the JVC 4VN-990 manual, specifically the page with the table titled "Operation Chart", I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to use both the SQD-2020 and the 4-DD5 with the 4VN-990 at the same time. I'lll take any advice that comes to mind for anyone that reads this. Thanks!

(This has to be simple. I feel like I'm trying to set the clock on a VCR - AND I actually have the instruction manual in my hand. I'm going to try to attach a few pages of the 4VN-990 manual here as the "Function Switch" and "Source Switch" were not intuitive to me at first.)

Thanks,
Michael

Dunno what kind of CD player/disc spinner you have but if it has analog outs you can also try plugging that straight into the Sony & observe.

Ran through my manuals, again. If you connect your turntable to the "Phono in" of your amp and connect the "record out" of your amp to the input of the 2020. Connect the front and rear outputs of the 2020 to your front and rear inputs of the amp. push the R-MTX (or SQ [if SQ record]) button of the 2020. That would be the correct connections for four channel operation. Increase the four volume controls to 50%. If the 2020 is operational you should see ( and hear) sound.

Last edited:
Back