QQ Expansion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Now that I am out of work for a while, I am going to spend some time doing some things that I have had planned for QuadraphonicQuad homepage for a while now.

Back in the late '70s, I compiled checklists of the quad output on LP of all of the popular labels (excluding Angel and Turnabout). I plan to convert these checklists to web pages. I have taken a stab at the RCA page and am submitting it for your critique.

It will be accessable from the new home page that is not up yet, but for now I would like comments from you members on this first page.

Please let me know if you see any errors, ommissions, or outright lies (!). Also, let me know what you think as far as visability and usefulness, Color combinations, and such. The page should be visable as a black background page with white text. The RCA Quadradsic logo should be centered at the top, and the chart should be the RCA Golden color.

Please reply in this thread, so all can comment on your comments.

THANKS

:-jon

Here is the link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/rca_page.htm

I think this is a great idea if you have the time. I had only one criticism and it is not really a criticism it's more of an observation which was easily remedied. I found the text a bit to small so I just increased the text size from the View drop down menu (I've been around since the early days of quad and my eyes are not what they used to be). I have a question: are you going to compile the quad release lists for just US releases only or on a world wide bases? One thing I would like to see and I know this is very subjective, how rare or collectable individual quad releases might be. This last point may be better off confined to a different thread but I thought I would submit it anyway. Keep up the good work and I will be happy to help anyway I can.

(y) Two thumbs up! (y)

Way to go Jon! The list is great! I know this will be a great resource for quad collectors (I know I'll be referencing it myself). Can't wait to see the other lists you're working on!

:brew

Hard to believe there were only 151 RCA CD-4's. Seems like there were that many classicals!!

I am still working on verifying the Elvis info, and will add more graphics. I am planning on making some of the titles link to small graphics of the LP covers!

OK Guys, I need your help with the RCA Quadradisc list.

The Single Inventory CD-4s that I remember are:

All discs up to 0098, plus 0103 (Jimmy Castor), 0141 (Feliciano/Compartments), and of course the Elvis VPSX Aloha.

Am I missing any, and/or do you know of any in the block from 0001-0098 that were NOT single inventory?

THANKS!

JonUrban said:
OK Guys, I need your help with the RCA Quadradisc list.
THANKS!

I am amazed that so many Guess Who albums are listed but no "Artificial Paradise" which was available on Q8.

Many of those early PQ8-xxxx series Q8's were available on CD-4 in Japan as part of the early Quadradisc program. These are the QLPs that would get ruined if played on anything other than a JVC or Shibata stylus.

There are 2 quadradiscs that were released in Japan, the Guess Who "American Woman" and Paul Kantner "Sunfighter". The Guess Who album is excellent, and appears to be the later vinyl. Another quad CD-4 title I thought existed was Jefferson Starship "Earth". Another urban legend?

There were a whole lot of Quadradiscs released in Japan. That will be another list!

An article (RCA's First Quadradiscs by Leonard Marcus) in a 1972 issue of High Fidelity magazine (my photocopy doesn't have the issue month) includes a review of APD1-0001 and ARD1-0002.

The author auditioned both Quadradiscs in May 1972 at the International Music Industry Conference.

Kirk Bayne

Back